Author Topic: Woj: Jrue to Celtics  (Read 51344 times)

Re: Woj: Jrue to Celtics
« Reply #360 on: November 12, 2023, 08:26:38 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
A lot of diminished returns on offense from Jrue, Porzingis and Horford.

There is only one ball.

Tatum and Jaylen were already one of the highest usage shot-taking duos in the league.

Ball movement should be exponentially better than last season.

Wow. I had the opposite reaction.

Why do you think that?

I believe it will be worse because:

(1) Porzingis is a bad passer and high volume shot taker.
(2) Horford will be relegated to background status so he will have less touches to facilitate the offense.
(3) Tatum & Jaylen are young stars who will make sure they still "get theirs".
(4) Jrue is a scoring PG rather than a true PG. A facilitating or playmaking PG.

I just see a whole bunch of hands to feed. Guys who typically look after themselves first. Not others. And the one guy who looks after others, Horford, is not relegated to the background in order to make way for more selfish players.

The ball movement was excellent last night. I think we can close the door on the idea that Holiday isn't a good facilitating or playmaking PG. They won this trade.

« Reply #361 on: November 12, 2023, 08:32:07 AM »

Online cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 371
A lot of diminished returns on offense from Jrue, Porzingis and Horford.

There is only one ball.

Tatum and Jaylen were already one of the highest usage shot-taking duos in the league.

Ball movement should be exponentially better than last season.

Wow. I had the opposite reaction.

Why do you think that?

I believe it will be worse because:

(1) Porzingis is a bad passer and high volume shot taker.
(2) Horford will be relegated to background status so he will have less touches to facilitate the offense.
(3) Tatum & Jaylen are young stars who will make sure they still "get theirs".
(4) Jrue is a scoring PG rather than a true PG. A facilitating or playmaking PG.

I just see a whole bunch of hands to feed. Guys who typically look after themselves first. Not others. And the one guy who looks after others, Horford, is not relegated to the background in order to make way for more selfish players.

The ball movement was excellent last night. I think we can close the door on the idea that Holiday isn't a good facilitating or playmaking PG. They won this trade.

also the take about KP seems to have aged poorly. he's been a good passer thus far and most of his scoring has come within the confines of the offense.

« Reply #362 on: December 21, 2023, 01:13:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
That was probably Jrue's best game as a Celtic so far.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #363 on: December 21, 2023, 02:16:35 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877
Bottom line, love getting Jrue Holiday but the trade created a need.  We need a solid bench or staring level PF/C type player to replace Rob Williams.  There is still time to do that, it doesn't even need to be for the start of the season, but the sooner the better.  New players need time to acclimate.

Had to go back to see my original takes.  My biggest concern was giving up Rob Williams and trying to fill that hole, which we still have not done.  But he has been injured pretty much all season anyway.  Brogdon has missed a few games but overall has been playing well.  Still expect he will get traded to a contender.  LAC is probably out on him now that they have Harden but PHI would not be a bad landing spot for him (well, bad from a Celtics' perspective), since it is rumored they are looking.

As to Holiday, he has been great, and getting better as the season has moved on.  I still have reservations about the guard heavy line up (Holiday, White, Brown) but that certainly has not been a problem so far.  In fact White is playing the best ball of his career, and seems to still be getting better weekly.  Everyone, but I think these 3 in particular, have been trying to figure out how to best fit together.  I suspect that we have not seen the best of Holiday yet.

« Reply #364 on: December 21, 2023, 03:00:43 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I wonder, in the world of hindsight, how many fans would reverse the trade.  Instead of Holiday, we'd have:

Brogdon
Timelord
GS #1 (currently lottery)
2029 #1

I assume we'd trade Timelord in that situation.  Attaching his contract to those two #1s, is our return of Brogdon + Player X more impactful than Jrue?  Or, what if we didn't attach the first rounders, and kept them?  Dealt Timelord and a #2 for a guy like Olynyk?  Or maybe gave up a #1 along with Timelord and other filler for Jonas Valanciunas?

Anybody sold that that would have been the better route?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #365 on: December 21, 2023, 03:08:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I wonder, in the world of hindsight, how many fans would reverse the trade.  Instead of Holiday, we'd have:

Brogdon
Timelord
2029 #1

I assume we'd trade Timelord in that situation.  Attaching his contract to those two #1s, is our return of Brogdon + Player X more impactful than Jrue?  Or, what if we didn't attach the first rounders, and kept them?  Dealt Timelord and a #2 for a guy like Olynyk?  Or maybe gave up a #1 along with Timelord and other filler for Jonas Valanciunas?

I wouldn’t, surprised you think any fans would. Couple of things.

1) warriors probably won’t stay a lottery pick. I don’t think they are trading curry under any circumstance and he is at point of career where shutting down for a wasted season is not an option. If they keep struggling they will make moves to
Improve, not to tank.

2) if we don’t get holiday someone else does, other rumored teams were Philly and Miami. That would not help us at all.

3) who is to say we could have traded Rob before he got injured for year. We got really lucky to offload him before that happened.

« Reply #366 on: December 21, 2023, 03:24:07 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877

Brogdon
Timelord
2029 #1

1) warriors probably won’t stay a lottery pick. I don’t think they are trading curry under any circumstance and he is at point of career where shutting down for a wasted season is not an option. If they keep struggling they will make moves to
Improve, not to tank.

2) if we don’t get holiday someone else does, other rumored teams were Philly and Miami. That would not help us at all.

3) who is to say we could have traded Rob before he got injured for year. We got really lucky to offload him before that happened.

I think this is interesting speculation.  In terms of just the Celtics, putting aside who else may have gotten Holiday, with the way that White has played, I am not sure the team is all that much different if we have Brogdon over Holiday.  Then you have to speculate as to who we could have gotten for RWill and the picks.  If the return for that was a starting level, defensive and rebounding minded PF, we conceivably could be better off.  Our starters could be:

White
Brown
Tatum
Obtained Starting PF
Porzingis

And our bench is Brogdon, Horford, Hauser, and so on.  This is premised on getting a real starting level PF, not someone like Olynyk or Grant Williams.  Not sure who that would be; good, starting level PFs, who are available for trade, are not easy to find.  But I think from a value standpoint, RW plus those picks would have been some pretty decent value to put on the market.

« Reply #367 on: December 21, 2023, 03:31:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Brogdon
Timelord
2029 #1

Improve, not to tank.

I think this is interesting speculation.  In terms of just the Celtics, putting aside who else may have gotten Holiday, with the way that White has played, I am not sure the team is all that much different if we have Brogdon over Holiday.  Then you have to speculate as to who we could have gotten for RWill and the picks.  If the return for that was a starting level, defensive and rebounding minded PF, we conceivably could be better off.  Our starters could be:

White
Brown
Tatum
Obtained Starting PF
Porzingis

And our bench is Brogdon, Horford, Hauser, and so on.  This is premised on getting a real starting level PF, not someone like Olynyk or Grant Williams.  Not sure who that would be; good, starting level PFs, who are available for trade, are not easy to find.  But I think from a value standpoint, RW plus those picks would have been some pretty decent value to put on the market.

The only power forward traded during this period was John Collins, who the Jazz already want to dump. I haven’t even heard of any real power forwards on the block (more wings and guards like lavine and og and demar). It’s unclear who would have magically became available plus Robert Williams got injured like ten games in at which point he lost all value and maybe even became a negative contract.

« Reply #368 on: December 21, 2023, 03:38:42 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991

Brogdon
Timelord
2029 #1

Improve, not to tank.

White
Brown
Tatum
Obtained Starting PF
Porzingis

The only power forward traded during this period was John Collins, who the Jazz already want to dump. I haven’t even heard of any real power forwards on the block (more wings and guards like lavine and og and demar). It’s unclear who would have magically became available plus Robert Williams got injured like ten games in at which point he lost all value and maybe even became a negative contract.

You’re misremembering Rob.  He got hurt days into his pre-season with Portland, and missed all their games.  He was untradeable within days of us having shipped him out.  The timing couldn’t have been better for the Celtics to pull the trigger than when they did.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 03:56:08 PM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #369 on: December 21, 2023, 04:06:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Brogdon
Timelord
2029 #1

Improve, not to tank.

White
Brown
Tatum
Obtained Starting PF
Porzingis

You’re misremembering Rob.  He got hurt days into his pre-season with Portland, and missed all their games.  He was untradeable within days of us having shipped him out.  The timing couldn’t have been better for the Celtics to pull the trigger than when they did.

I think Clay is right on this one.  Rob did get hurt in the preseason, but he played six regular season games.

Also:  I'm not sure that anybody is untradeable any more.  I certainly don't think that's the case with Timelord when attached to picks.  He's barely over the MLE.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #370 on: December 21, 2023, 04:08:23 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Brogdon
Timelord
2029 #1

Improve, not to tank.

White
Brown
Tatum
Obtained Starting PF
Porzingis

I think Clay is right on this one.  Rob did get hurt in the preseason, but he played six regular season games.

Right, but presumably the time to trade Rob would have been the preseason, because that’s when these trades are normally made.  He was hurt most or all of that period.  Then he was briefly healthy, and then he was done for the year.

« Reply #371 on: December 21, 2023, 04:43:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Brogdon
Timelord
2029 #1

Improve, not to tank.

White
Brown
Tatum
Obtained Starting PF
Porzingis

Also:  I'm not sure that anybody is untradeable any more.  I certainly don't think that's the case with Timelord when attached to picks.  He's barely over the MLE.

Didn’t mean to say he would be untradable more that he would go from potentially a positive asset to a negative one. I’m also wondering if he does pass a physical a few days later. It feels like Portland missed something after his preseason injury. Again, think the trade is kind of a slam dunk especially when you add in holiday being on either Philly or Miami instead….

« Reply #372 on: December 21, 2023, 04:51:01 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Brogdon
Timelord
2029 #1

Improve, not to tank.

White
Brown
Tatum
Obtained Starting PF
Porzingis

Didn’t mean to say he would be untradable more that he would go from potentially a positive asset to a negative one. I’m also wondering if he does pass a physical a few days later. It feels like Portland missed something after his preseason injury. Again, think the trade is kind of a slam dunk especially when you add in holiday being on either Philly or Miami instead….

I think Roy was responding to my use of untradable, and yeah, I meant he probably wouldn’t have passed a physical while he was recovering during training camp, and thus couldn’t really be traded as an asset.  The only truly untradeable players are those who can’t be moved due to no-trade clauses or CBA reasons — there is some price for everyone else.  But the price wouldn’t have been at all favorable for the Celtics a week later when Rob got hurt.

« Reply #373 on: December 26, 2023, 08:43:07 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745

Brogdon
Timelord
2029 #1

Improve, not to tank.

White
Brown
Tatum
Obtained Starting PF
Porzingis

I am very sure this team is better with Jrue instead of Brogdon. So far this year, Jrue is shooting better across the board, playing much better defense, and is more able to fit into what the Celtics do.

Even before the unfortunate Rob Williams news and with a pessimistic view of the Warriors' season, Jrue was as good of a return as one could hope for for that package. With Rob out for the year, it feels like a steal.   
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #374 on: December 26, 2023, 09:30:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Brogdon
Timelord
2029 #1

Improve, not to tank.

White
Brown
Tatum
Obtained Starting PF
Porzingis

I am very sure this team is better with Jrue instead of Brogdon. So far this year, Jrue is shooting better across the board, playing much better defense, and is more able to fit into what the Celtics do.

Even before the unfortunate Rob Williams news and with a pessimistic view of the Warriors' season, Jrue was as good of a return as one could hope for for that package. With Rob out for the year, it feels like a steal.

Yeah I think it was a homerun of a deal and it could quite possibly land us a championship this year.