Author Topic: Which Big to draft and when 17,26, or 30?  (Read 9226 times)

Re: Which Big to draft and when 17,26, or 30?
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2020, 07:04:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
If there is a 5 3" guard in the draft

he ll be in green

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2020, 07:07:30 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I also like the athleticism of Jaylen Smith. "STIX" looks like a versatile scorer for a 6'9 big man.  He could play that 'stretch big' role that Stevens seems to like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM2wwc0JJko

I'd be happy taking him with 17 or 26 to fill out the roster.  The Celtics are kind of lacking in skilled players at the 6'9 and up size category.

Jaylen Smith and Carey would be a dream draft for me, and then trade the last pick for a 2nd and future 1st.  But we'll probably end up drafting a guard that we never heard of.  LOL.

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2020, 07:15:25 AM »

Offline cgange20

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • "That Ref looks like he started shaving yesterday"
It is great that we have all of these picks, but we know some of them will end up being traded. We now have an overload of young picks who have not played all that much. I know a lot of times it feels great because we have these guys, but then it can be tough to get them consistent playing time. With that being said, getting a solid big would only help us improve the roster. Theis is good, but we need someone else. That kid from Serbia looks pretty good. I have heard some people project that Boston will take hium.
cartergange

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2020, 11:00:11 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Here is my own brief dive into this big man class (with everything draft related being so stagnant why not)

Looking over the NBA playoff teams I have loosely placed their starting centers into rough archetypes

Transcendent "Star Big" : these players are elite and cover multiple archetypes with their skill sets
  Embiid, elite size, length, strength, athleticism (for this athleticism is relative to size, and has an elite offensive skill set
  Jokic, high end size, length, strength, and has an elite offensive skill set
  Porzingis, elite end size, length,  and has an elite offensive skill set
  Marc Gasol, he is fading with age much has elite size, length, strength and a versatile skill set

This draft class doesn't have any bigs that I would place in that category

Big Anchor big men : these are all bigs who have elite size, strength and length. Their size is the foundation of there success and they skill set if what differentiates them from their piers.

Gobert, elite size, length, strength, athleticism, and elite defensive instincts
Adams, elite size, length, strength, athleticism, and brings extreme physicality to the position
B Lopez, elite size, length, strength, and provides high end outside shooting
Zubac, elite size, length, strength ( he is a sub 20mpg role player who starts to give unit size)
McGee, elite size, length, strength, athleticism ( he is a sub 20mpg role player who starts to give unit size)

There are a handful of bigs this class who would fit in this group

Wiseman, he has very Gobert like measurements. Those coupled with his athleticism give him a Mcgee level floor. His development as a P&R defender could place him at the top of this archetype along with Gobert, Whitside, Drummond.

Carey Jr, he lacks the elite length that is typical of this group but is athletic (for his size) and strong. His abilities as a defender severally limit his top end projection. I without significant development as a defender his ceiling is capped at a Kanter type rotational big.

Azubuike, he possess elite size, length, strength, and is very quick off the ground for his immense size. While he is limited on offense he is an elite finisher in the paint. If he can adjust to the speed of the NBA game and be serviceable in the P&R he should be able to carve out a rotational role in the league. He may be able to crack a starting lineup in a Zubac/Mcgee type role providing an elite team 15-20mpg of rim protection, rebounding, and rim running.

Skilled Undersized 5s who are rebranded 4s from a generation ago: These are bigs who would have been traditional power forwards in the past. They either lack ideal height, length, or strength for a traditional center but are able to compensate and be effective in the modern game.

Adebayo, despite being under 6'9 (w/o shoes) Bam has great length (7'2+), a stong frame and is vert athletic. His athleticism and skill in the open court, and passing has made his a very effective modern big man

Sabonis, his sub 7' wingspan and 240lb frame make him undersized despite standing 6'10 (w/o shoes). Like Bam his advanced skill set and passing has made him a very effective modern big.

Theis, as we all know Theis is undersized at 6'8 240lbs but has what I would estimate to be at least a 7'2 wingspan. His ability to move on the perimeter allows for defensive versatility that is a linchpin to the Cs defense.

This is the most represented group in this big man class

Onongwu  , reported to be around 6'9 240 with a 7'1 wingspan these measurements are of a traditional 4. Like Theis he is extremly mobile laterally on D. He is also a very skilled post scorer. His ability to pass the ball with likely be the swing skill that allows him to reach a ceiling somwhere below Bam's.

Toppin, he is a scary prospect in that he lacks the height, length, strength or lateral mobility to play the role of a small versatile 5. What he does possess is an elite offensive skill set. Ultimately he may be destine to be a 20pt 10rb on a bad team type of player

Smith
, smith will be undersized at around 6'9-6'10 with a 7'1 wingspan at 225lbs but he is mobile and can shoot from the outside. He may not project as a starter but if he can shoot the NBA 3 at a high level he has enough other skills to be a really effective role player.

Pokusevski, he is the "mystery man" of this draft he has great size and length at 7' with a 7'3 ws but his strength is abysmal. He is so skilled at that size that if by a long shot he can bulk his frame up to a respectable 240lbs he could be the best big in this draft.

Nnaji , he will be limited by his length (rumored 7'1) and strength but is reported to be a much better shooter who was held back from shooting 3s at Arizona. He moves really well for his size and shows promise as a P&R defender. Still being 19 it is plausible that he adds strength and develops his outside shot and becomes a start-able big on a good team.

Tillman, one of my favorites in this draft at a reported 6'8 245lbs with a 7'1 ws he is absolutely undersized however he is very strong. His strength along with his elite IQ on both ends of the floor makes him all but a lock to have an NBA career. His outside shot will be his swing skill. With a reliable 3pt shot he becomes a lesser version of Horford and a high end rotational big.     

Hustle Undersized 5s who are rebranded 4s from a generation ago

This group isn't represented the current playoff teams. Examples of these types of bigs would be Tristan Thompson, Biyombo, Faried, R Williams. These are bigs without traditional positional size but who possess elite physical tools that they couple with high motors to be effecting rebounding, defending, and rim running type big men.

Precious Achiuwa , out of high-school he was branded as a perimeter player but at Memphis he has shown to be a much better prospect as a 5. He is an elite run jump athlete who players his a very high motor. He does have some skill and should be a grab and go open court threat.

Isiah Stewart, he is an extremely long 7'4 ws and strong freshman who lacks explosiveness but should be able to carve out a nice back up role in NBA. His swing skill maybe his offensive versatility, he was a good FT shooter in college and if he develops an outside shot could add versatility to his offensive game.     

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2020, 11:58:07 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
How about :

17. Pokusevski-- for the gambler in us all, for development, not to play next year probably.
26. Tillman--to counter our first pick with oozing solidity.
30. C. Stanley (my sleeper pick), won't play for a while but in a couple years could be very nice..

Or:

17.  Kira L. Jr.  (steal?)
26.  Isiah Stewart--motor, toughness, size,  or Tillman: IQ, defense
30.  C. Stanley/(of course Ramsey if still around), Reed

Still hope my binkie Patrick Williams is available at 17 and Danny likes him.  Kira Lewis would be my consolation if no P. Williams.  (Tankathon has P. Williams at 26 so maybe there's hope. )

Reed worthy pick if there at 30, or even 26....I think he can be a disruptor in the NBA that other teams don't enjoy playing against. (But if we get P. Williams then Reed maybe not).

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2020, 12:51:13 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
What if we can get into the 9/10 area?  If you trade 17 and 26, that's about 1790 points, right in the area of 9/10 based on a value chart from a couple years back.

If we can't, I think Nnaji at 30 is the big I go with, only because I think Carey is gone between 17 and 26.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2020, 01:33:17 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
TP to oldschooldude for time put into draft prep post.

I'm leaning towards Jalen Smith from Maryland. Don't know if he's Danny's kind of guy.

Watched a few of his games during the season and he can do things that most of the batch of bigs cannot.

He can hit threes (not Steph Curry, but)
He has a good handle and uses it well
He is an effective shot blocker
As above, he can hit jumpers and catch and shoots

He is not a bruising presence underneath, but, he's long and has major hops.

He's kind of the "anti Robert Williams" in that he does things Robert doesn't.

Maybe he's a really long two guard.

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2020, 05:21:44 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Agree about Smith

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2020, 06:57:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

he ll be in green

Yep! Whichever 'big' is 6 ft or under and plays like a combo guard. That's the one.

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2020, 07:10:08 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

he ll be in green

Either Precious at 14-17, Tillman at 26/30 or Kaleb Wesson at 46 will be a Celtic after the draft and the “DA doesn’t draft size” narrative will be alive and strong

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2020, 07:32:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Paul Reed is still my guy! A hybrid forward in the mould of Thad Young / Jerami Grant, but with Millsap-esque rebounding.

I think he can be had at 26. I’d be okay with taking Jalen Smith too, as he’s more of a typical “big”. Want us to steer clear of Vernon Carey
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2020, 08:54:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Does a big PG count as a "big"?😉

Sorry, I really feel that players like Killian Hayes, Tyrese Haliburton and Theo Maledon would be players Ainge would prefer over the less than thrilling bigs in this draft.

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2020, 09:00:15 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Sorry, I really feel that players like Killian Hayes, Tyrese Haliburton and Theo Maledon would be players Ainge would prefer over the less than thrilling bigs in this draft.

Nailed it. BPA all the way, if the picks can't all be traded.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2020, 09:02:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Haliburton would be so awesome, but sadly I think he’s too talented for him to slide all the way to us, even with his injury. I’m actually not sure any of those guys fall to us, unless we package our picks and move up (certainly likely). 
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2020, 10:34:35 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I think Maledon has a solid chance of being drafted by the Cs. His potential as a draft and stash add to his value for the Celtics. On the court I don’t think he will be a pure PG in the NBA but he is about the same size as Jordan Clarkson and would be a solid shooting combo guard
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet