Poll

When would you prefer the Celticsblog Draft to be held?

Early Aug (Aug 1-20)
Early Sept (Sep 1-20)
Either one is good for me

Author Topic: CB Draft 2016 interest thread: 30 teams set; Draft slots round TODAY @ 11am!  (Read 134228 times)

Re: Celticsblog Draft 2016 Interest Thread (still looking for ~8-10 GMs)
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2016, 05:16:22 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I am interested if there'd be a way to sync up the league with my phone for notifications and reminders, e.g., a trade's been proposed or needs votes, I'm about to be on the clock in the draft, one of my players is injured, lineups need to be finalized tomorrow, etc.

a. each team's pick is due at a specific time. the teams before you can go early when they're up, but you always have until your time. For example:

picks will be listed like this (with the time being when your pick is due).

3. BOS - 11:30
4. PHI - 11:40
5. CHI - 11:50

Let's say we open the draft at 11, and the teams at 1 and 2 only take 5 mins each. So at 11:10 BOS is "on the clock". They now have 20 mins... if they only take 1 min, PHI is up at 11:11 but still has until 11:40. So you will never have LESS time than scheduled but you could have much more (this is to accomodate folks who can't be on the board constantly or have to pop in and out) and works very well.

It *is* everyone's responsiblity to read the board (in the first post of the draft thread) to see when their next pick is... you won't get reminders.

b. in your PROFILE / PRIVATE MESSAGING you can turn on a setting where you get a pop-up when you come to the forums if you have a PM (which is how other GMs will discuss trades with you).

c. There used to be there a setting that you could also get an email when you got a PM, but it doesn't work for me any more...

Hope those things help... it's all pretty simple... and if you just read through the old threads you should see how it works.

I think another important thing to note is that it is sometimes difficult for people to get online at or around the time the pick is due because of work, school, etc..

We should include the option that people can send lists of picks in order of priority either to Commish/assistants or those who do not have a pick in front of them. Just something to note that might encourage people to play if scheduling could sometimes be an issue.

Actually, yes, this would be crucial. If round by round we can send a short Boolean list of draft preferences for each pick in a PM to be opened by a trustworthy admin or third party only if no pick is made at the close of the window, I'm in.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Wait, wait, wait...this is not an actual fantasy league? Oops! Nevermind! My bad! :(

Dino out!

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Wait, wait, wait...this is not an actual fantasy league? Oops! Nevermind! My bad! :(

Dino out!

You're right Dino it's just a draft. But given your heirarvhy of players/assets post I think you'd enjoy it. It's a blast.

Also FWIW, there are two 20-team dynasty leagues (I run the H2h; eja117 runs the points) that periodically have openings.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Dino out!

You're right Dino it's just a draft. But given your heirarvhy of players/assets post I think you'd enjoy it. It's a blast.

Also FWIW, there are two 20-team dynasty leagues (I run the H2h; eja117 runs the points) that periodically have openings.

Keep me in mind for a dynasty league, definitely. If I'm going to dive back into fantasy land, it can't just be a one-off thing, although I do bet this thing would be fun. I just need my incredibly fun wastes of time to be longer term investments.

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Definitely interested in this format. How many more teams are needed?

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Pardon me if I missed this, but if it's not based on fantasy league-type rules and points, is this essentially just a subjective vote thing then? Is that the point of the press conferences - to persuade the other voting GMs that your team is deserving of a playoff spot/win?

If so, then that's pretty much the format that we did with the NBA trade deadline thread, I think. Sounds like fun!

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Never done it before but sounds like fun, I'm in.

• Rajon Rondo
Definitely interested in this format. How many more teams are needed?

Would love 6 more GMs. Would settle for 2-4

See the list in the original post

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I would be willing to join, Just want to make sure it's doable, are the 2 points I listed below allowed?

1.). Is There someone I can send my draft que to on the days of my pick if I could not be around
2.). Is the draft going on in early August, I have way too much going on in September so I couldn't do it
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

• Rajon Rondo
I would be willing to join, Just want to make sure it's doable, are the 2 points I listed below allowed?

1.). Is There someone I can send my draft que to on the days of my pick if I could not be around
2.). Is the draft going on in early August, I have way too much going on in September so I couldn't do it

Yes on #1

And the sched is a few posts up -- basically aug 1-12 for the draft then 15-25 for press conf and playoff voting

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

Yes on #1

And the sched is a few posts up -- basically aug 1-12 for the draft then 15-25 for press conf and playoff voting

Thank you, I am in then.

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Pardon me if I missed this, but if it's not based on fantasy league-type rules and points, is this essentially just a subjective vote thing then? Is that the point of the press conferences - to persuade the other voting GMs that your team is deserving of a playoff spot/win?

If so, then that's pretty much the format that we did with the NBA trade deadline thread, I think. Sounds like fun!

Yes. It's subjective. It's fun and supposed to be more about fun than winning. Competition inevitably comes into play though and ppl just need to keep it respectful. I'm 99.9% sure you will walk away enjoying the experience.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

• Rajon Rondo

Yes. It's subjective. It's fun and supposed to be more about fun than winning. Competition inevitably comes into play though and ppl just need to keep it respectful. I'm 99.9% sure you will walk away enjoying the experience.

Correct on all accounts.

Here's a Press Conference from 2013 just so you can see what someone did. Some folks use more pictures, some more analysis, some more humor.

It's just for fun and to experience building a team.

Boston Celtics
Coach: Greg Popovich
Manager: Edgar

Scoring Stats (click title to enlarge)

Misc Stats

*Not standard 2013 stats
Pau Gasol: 11-12 stats
Jonas Valanciunas: Games in which he played >30 mins
Gordon Hayward: Stats as a starter
Corey Brewer: mislabeled, they're standard
Evan Fournier: Post-Gallo injury in Denver
Terrence Jones: Post All-Star
Darrell Arthur: 10-11 Stats (pre-achillies injury)
Patrick Beverley: Post All-Star

Kyrie Irving / Isaiah Thomas / Patrick Beverley
Gordon Hayward / Evan Fournier / Patrick Beverley
Danilo Gallinari / Corey Brewer / Hayward
Pau Gasol / Darrell Arthur / Danilo Gallinari /
Jonas Valanciunas / Pau Gasol / Pero Antic

Deep Bench: Kent Bazemore, Terrence Jones

Overall Theory:
Greg Popovich is our coach, so...We have that. We knew that where we were picking (13th) was a handicap. Picking dead in the middle, you're too far out to get a surefire-no-questions-asked MVP candidate. But, you're too high to take advantage of the 'Guy everyone forgot' and then turn around in the 2nd and 3rd and make everyone look silly. We also didn't really have the time to pursue trades like we'd have liked. These aren't excuses, merely context.

The Kyrie Era Begins In Earnest:
We went for Kyrie Irving first and foremost, because the kid is a stone-cold assassin and the most versatile scoring guard in the league. Also, since Greg Popovich did wonders with Tony Parker, I don't see how Kyrie Irving couldn't fair much, much better. He's a danger from everywhere, a tough, vocal leader, and entering his third NBA season, is due a sizable improvement to an already elite performance as a PG. Its important when selecting your 'cornerstone' that you get a guy who can steer the ship as a leader. Harden's great, but he's not really a vocal presence. Deron Williams falls into the same category. Kyrie Irving is a 110% kind of overachiever who never accepts losing. If you were wondering what in the holy hell Cleveland was doing this offseason by bringing aboard Andrew Bynum when it would be far more prudent to wait it out for another lottery pick, Irving is why. He's made it known that he's done with the losing, and in just his third year he's ready to ascend into the NBA's top tier of players.

After Irving, we went big early and often. Gasol, Kanter, and Splitter made our next 3 picks. Size matters, and if you don't have a competent bigs rotation, you're goin nowhere. (Where you goin'?)

The Two Towers:
Greg Popovich coached Tim Duncan and David Robinson, and while our guys aren't anywhere near their level, he knows how to utilize two big 7fters effectively. Gasol had an off year last year, but he was recovering from injury for a lot of it, and dealing with Dwights bullcrap for the rest of it. But finally, towards the end of the season, Gasol managed to round himself nearly into old form. Did you know that over the last 8 games of the season Gasol averaged 38 minutes, 17 points, 12 rebounds and 51% shooting?

I think a big part of this is Dwight's insistence that he have a larger role offensively, coupled with his lesser skill level. Dwight wanted more touches, but he can't do nearly as much with the ball as Gasol, and Pau's numbers suffered for it.

Enter Jonas Valanciunas. He can finish around the rim, but he basically shoots 40% from anywhere within the 3pt line, and uses an accurate and reliable hook shot and basic but effective series of post moves and counters to keep himself very effective out to 10 feet.

Pairing him with Gasol gives us two big men who can score with efficiency and versatility in the post who don't require a huge amount of touches. The bookends in the middle are very important, because Gasol's versatility as a passer is critical to the Celtics' success. Rather than sit tight with 3 viable weapons in Irving, Gasol, and Valanciunas, we went out and got SOME MORE!!

Boston Wings, Or, 'Ya Can't Stop All Of Us!!':
Greg Popovich enjoys eating his steaks raw, and only does so after defeating a mature battle-hardened Texas bull in hand-to-horn combat. Gordon Hayward and Danilo Gallinari round out the starting rotation, and their skillsets mesh perfectly with what Boston is trying to do. Hayward, a 40%+ 3pt shooter, effective ball-handler, and gifted passer supplements Kyrie Irving as initiator on the offense, as well as playing the role of spot-up shooter when need be. Gallinari plays the roll of vintage Lamar Odom, scoring from deep, creating off the dribble, passing well, and creating his own shot when the situation necessitates it. He can switch from the 3 to the 4 as well, which means we can give a lot of different looks depending on the style of play. Greg Popovich is our coach.

The versatility of our wings, the skill level of our bigs, the talent of our point, impossible offense to hold down. IMPOSSIBLE.

But I want to complain about injuries and other bullcrap that doesn't matter!!:

Sigh. Of course you do, you miserable unsatisfied person who lost your childhood wonder so now you want to inflict skepticism on everyone else as a kind of equalizer, even though you know that nothing will ever get back that feeling you had when you were 12 and you rode a rollercoaster for the first time.

Kyrie Insurance: Isaiah Thomas is a scoring wunderkind and a minutes workhorse who can step in to start games and still produce. He's proven that. Patrick Beverley is a defensive bulldog who can score from deep and plays 1000 miles an hour at all times (at either guard position). The two of them added together doesn't equal a Kyrie, but it equals a starting caliber point guard.

Gallo Insurance: Gordon Hayward is a 'Wing' more than he's a 2-guard or a 3, and when Gallo is out to start the season, Hayward will play 35 minutes or so split between the two. Behind him are Evan Fournier and Patrick Beverley at the 2, and Corey Brewer (who will get the start) at the 3. Its not going to replace Gallo's production, but it will mitigate the loss of him in the lineup somewhat.

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

Correct on all accounts.

Here's a Press Conference from 2013 just so you can see what someone did. Some folks use more pictures, some more analysis, some more humor.

It's just for fun and to experience building a team.

Boston Celtics
Coach: Greg Popovich
Manager: Edgar

Scoring Stats (click title to enlarge)

Misc Stats

*Not standard 2013 stats
Pau Gasol: 11-12 stats
Jonas Valanciunas: Games in which he played >30 mins
Gordon Hayward: Stats as a starter
Corey Brewer: mislabeled, they're standard
Evan Fournier: Post-Gallo injury in Denver
Terrence Jones: Post All-Star
Darrell Arthur: 10-11 Stats (pre-achillies injury)
Patrick Beverley: Post All-Star

Kyrie Irving / Isaiah Thomas / Patrick Beverley
Gordon Hayward / Evan Fournier / Patrick Beverley
Danilo Gallinari / Corey Brewer / Hayward
Pau Gasol / Darrell Arthur / Danilo Gallinari /
Jonas Valanciunas / Pau Gasol / Pero Antic

Deep Bench: Kent Bazemore, Terrence Jones

Overall Theory:
Greg Popovich is our coach, so...We have that. We knew that where we were picking (13th) was a handicap. Picking dead in the middle, you're too far out to get a surefire-no-questions-asked MVP candidate. But, you're too high to take advantage of the 'Guy everyone forgot' and then turn around in the 2nd and 3rd and make everyone look silly. We also didn't really have the time to pursue trades like we'd have liked. These aren't excuses, merely context.

The Kyrie Era Begins In Earnest:
We went for Kyrie Irving first and foremost, because the kid is a stone-cold assassin and the most versatile scoring guard in the league. Also, since Greg Popovich did wonders with Tony Parker, I don't see how Kyrie Irving couldn't fair much, much better. He's a danger from everywhere, a tough, vocal leader, and entering his third NBA season, is due a sizable improvement to an already elite performance as a PG. Its important when selecting your 'cornerstone' that you get a guy who can steer the ship as a leader. Harden's great, but he's not really a vocal presence. Deron Williams falls into the same category. Kyrie Irving is a 110% kind of overachiever who never accepts losing. If you were wondering what in the holy hell Cleveland was doing this offseason by bringing aboard Andrew Bynum when it would be far more prudent to wait it out for another lottery pick, Irving is why. He's made it known that he's done with the losing, and in just his third year he's ready to ascend into the NBA's top tier of players.

After Irving, we went big early and often. Gasol, Kanter, and Splitter made our next 3 picks. Size matters, and if you don't have a competent bigs rotation, you're goin nowhere. (Where you goin'?)

The Two Towers:
Greg Popovich coached Tim Duncan and David Robinson, and while our guys aren't anywhere near their level, he knows how to utilize two big 7fters effectively. Gasol had an off year last year, but he was recovering from injury for a lot of it, and dealing with Dwights bullcrap for the rest of it. But finally, towards the end of the season, Gasol managed to round himself nearly into old form. Did you know that over the last 8 games of the season Gasol averaged 38 minutes, 17 points, 12 rebounds and 51% shooting?

I think a big part of this is Dwight's insistence that he have a larger role offensively, coupled with his lesser skill level. Dwight wanted more touches, but he can't do nearly as much with the ball as Gasol, and Pau's numbers suffered for it.

Enter Jonas Valanciunas. He can finish around the rim, but he basically shoots 40% from anywhere within the 3pt line, and uses an accurate and reliable hook shot and basic but effective series of post moves and counters to keep himself very effective out to 10 feet.

Pairing him with Gasol gives us two big men who can score with efficiency and versatility in the post who don't require a huge amount of touches. The bookends in the middle are very important, because Gasol's versatility as a passer is critical to the Celtics' success. Rather than sit tight with 3 viable weapons in Irving, Gasol, and Valanciunas, we went out and got SOME MORE!!

Boston Wings, Or, 'Ya Can't Stop All Of Us!!':
Greg Popovich enjoys eating his steaks raw, and only does so after defeating a mature battle-hardened Texas bull in hand-to-horn combat. Gordon Hayward and Danilo Gallinari round out the starting rotation, and their skillsets mesh perfectly with what Boston is trying to do. Hayward, a 40%+ 3pt shooter, effective ball-handler, and gifted passer supplements Kyrie Irving as initiator on the offense, as well as playing the role of spot-up shooter when need be. Gallinari plays the roll of vintage Lamar Odom, scoring from deep, creating off the dribble, passing well, and creating his own shot when the situation necessitates it. He can switch from the 3 to the 4 as well, which means we can give a lot of different looks depending on the style of play. Greg Popovich is our coach.

The versatility of our wings, the skill level of our bigs, the talent of our point, impossible offense to hold down. IMPOSSIBLE.

But I want to complain about injuries and other bullcrap that doesn't matter!!:

Sigh. Of course you do, you miserable unsatisfied person who lost your childhood wonder so now you want to inflict skepticism on everyone else as a kind of equalizer, even though you know that nothing will ever get back that feeling you had when you were 12 and you rode a rollercoaster for the first time.

Kyrie Insurance: Isaiah Thomas is a scoring wunderkind and a minutes workhorse who can step in to start games and still produce. He's proven that. Patrick Beverley is a defensive bulldog who can score from deep and plays 1000 miles an hour at all times (at either guard position). The two of them added together doesn't equal a Kyrie, but it equals a starting caliber point guard.

Gallo Insurance: Gordon Hayward is a 'Wing' more than he's a 2-guard or a 3, and when Gallo is out to start the season, Hayward will play 35 minutes or so split between the two. Behind him are Evan Fournier and Patrick Beverley at the 2, and Corey Brewer (who will get the start) at the 3. Its not going to replace Gallo's production, but it will mitigate the loss of him in the lineup somewhat.

Edgar needs a job in the Celts front office, that squad is solid, and will be for a while.

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=67286.0

For those interested the link above will give you the best idea of how this works. Just scroll through the thread and look at some of the posts. Don't need to spend a lot of time to get a feel for the process.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14