Author Topic: NFL Draft Predictions / Patriots Draft  (Read 13670 times)

Re: NFL Draft Predictions / Patriots Draft
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2009, 05:20:40 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Aaron Brown, RB out of TCU, projected to go in the 1st or 2nd round, slips to the 6th round where he is drafted by.... the Detroit Lions. Ouch.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2009, 05:31:49 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Pats just drafted another defensive lineman in Myron Pryor.  I don't know anything about him, but he is big: (6'1", 310 lbs).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2009, 05:48:38 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
I'm still scratching my head on the Hobbs deal (Hobbs -- on the plus side for you, he will be playing in Philly, which is closer to you anyway  :-\ ).

Maybe Butler will see time as a kickoff returner?

Am I the only one who thought Hobbs just wasn't that good of a cornerback? He was great as a return  man but i watched him get beat much more than Id see the occasional acrobatic pick that will keep many thinking he was better than he was.
   Hollywood was given the chance to be our #1 cornerback last year on a depleted secondary that could have really  used him to step up and have that breakout year. The result: 47 tkls 3 picks. Not good enough

I like our group now with Shawn Springs at the 1 and the Pats now can look at one of our many young backs to see who can step up and start.(Butler? Wheatley?)

Unfortunately when it comes to Hollywood Hobbs, all I'm going to remember is him getting torched by Burress for the go ahead score in the Super Bowl 2 years ago

the defense generated near 0 pressure last year.  without pressure, cb's will always look bad.  hobbs was flawed, but I think he was still the best cb on our roster (including the new picks and signings).

As for the play against burress - it was 1 on 1 coverage with no safety help.  that's stupid every time.  there was no safety in the middle of the field.  Hobbs guessed it was going to be a slant in.  it went outside. nothing you can do against that.

There is no possible way Hobbs is a better cornerback than proven veteran Shawn Springs. Unless Hobbs has that breakout season we in NE thought he was gonna have the past 2 years Springs is the better call.

It's clear your a Hobbs fan, and thats cool but the Burress play was a highlighted example of Hobbs guessing wrong on a route. He did it constantly

Shawn Springs is 34.  He hasnt exactly been a dynamic player lately.  if the defensive front 7 cant generate more pressure then last year, I fear for what Springs will look like.  I am not exactly a huge Hobbs fan, but I do think he is better then people give him credit for.  not to mention Ellis's contirbutions in other areas of the game...

As for the burress play - if he had guessed outside (and swiveled his hips accordingly) Burress goes inside and is wide open.  It was a horrible play call to leave it as 1-1 coverage in that play.  You could put any CB in the game in that exact situation, and I bet you they score a td 9 of 10 times. 

The problem though is Ellis Hobbs was incredibly undisciplined for a starting CB. He was far too much of a gambler to be the top corner on the team. If paired with a better corner, he can be a viable number 2, but to highlight him as a 1 shows how weak the secondary was last year.

Bodden and Butler will be our starting CBs by the end of the season. Bodden thrived in the system in Cleveland, and the Pats seem really high on Butler. Springs will see plenty of action, moving Butler to the inside and Wheatley/Wilhite as the Dime and Quarter package DBs is fine with me. The Pats are all about value, and Ellis wanting more money made him a terrible value and thus expendable.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2009, 06:17:45 PM »

Offline Brigga

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 8
Agreed.. Pats are about to make their 7th Round pick, Anticipation!!

How about John Parker Wilson? Its kind of a joke but I always thought he had talent

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2009, 06:24:49 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Agreed.. Pats are about to make their 7th Round pick, Anticipation!!

How about John Parker Wilson? Its kind of a joke but I always thought he had talent

My personal favorite for the pick: Rulon Davis (California)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2009, 06:34:44 PM »

Offline Brigga

• Svi Mykhailiuk
They go wide reciever again with Julian Edelman  out of Kent State. The pats' 2nd WR choice of day 2 (Brandon Tate UNC) I dont know anything about Edelman but I like what Tate brings to the return game.. NE still has one more pick before the draft is done

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2009, 06:36:04 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
They go wide reciever again with Julian Edelman  out of Kent State. The pats' 2nd WR choice of day 2 (Brandon Tate UNC) I dont know anything about Edelman but I like what Tate brings to the return game.. NE still has one more pick before the draft is done

Edelman was a QB in college.

a little bit of the wildcat flair, supposedly.

I doubt he makes the team.

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2009, 06:46:51 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
and a big d lineman to end it.  Darryl Richard.  great intangibles, not a great football player. 

Surprised to see BB didnt take any TE's and only one LB.  Not complaining, just surprised...

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2009, 06:49:50 PM »

Offline Brigga

• Svi Mykhailiuk
Tp for that fact. Yeah these late picks dont really mean much although I'm surprised Quan Cosby WR Texas hasnt been drafted hes undersized but has been very productive.

I did find it odd that Bill didnt fall for at least one TE is this years class, I was thinking Casey out of Rice would fit good as a patriot, but hes 25 we didnt miss out on too much

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2009, 07:25:54 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Summary assembled by Mike Reiss

The Patriots made 12 selections in the NFL Draft this weekend.

The following is the breakdown by position:

Defensive line -- 3
Ron Brace (second round, 40th overall)
Myron Pryor (sixth round, 207th overall)
Darryl Richard (seventh round, 234th overall)

Offensive line -- 3
Sebastian Vollmer (second round, 58th overall)
Rich Ohrnberger (fourth round, 123rd overall)
George Bussey (fifth round, 170th overall)

Wide receiver -- 2
Brandon Tate (third round, 83rd overall)
Julian Edelman (seventh round, 232nd overall)

Cornerback -- 1
Darius Butler (second round, 41st overall)

Inside linebacker -- 1
Tyrone McKenzie (third round, 97th overall)

Long snapper -- 1
Jake Ingram (sixth round, 198th overall)

Safety -- 1
Patrick Chung (second round, 34th overall)

Outside linebacker -- 0

Quarterback -- 0

Running back -- 0

Tight end -- 0

(Note: The Patriots traded two 2009 third-round picks into two 2010 second-round picks.)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2009, 12:02:53 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Signed a couple undrafted FA's...

Marcus McClinton

Position: S
Kentucky
6-0.5, 210
40 Time: 4.53

BIOGRAPHY: Four-year starter who posted 50 tackles with four interceptions as a senior after 32 tackles during his junior season. He has an extensive injury history.

POSITIVES: Athletic prospect with good size and potential for the next level. Aggressive, gives effort in run defense, and displays a closing burst of speed. Fluid moving to the flanks, effectively picks up assignments in centerfield, and smooth turning his hips in transition.

NEGATIVES: Does not consistently take proper angles in run defense, and is constantly caught out of position. At times, too quick to come up the field.

ANALYSIS: McClinton has shown flashes of ability the past four years, yet his game has struggled to develop because of injuries. He possesses the size/speed numbers to play at the next level, but he must stay healthy and immediately take his game to the next level.

PROJECTION: Seventh Round/Free Agent
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...yers/11932.html via: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=562254

Name: Jamar Love (+) Coming off thumb injury
College: Arkansas
Height: 6-0 Weight: 191
Position: CB Pos2: S
40 Time: 4.38

So far, one former Arkansas player has agreed to terms with an NFL team after the draft.

Cornerback Jamar Love said he reached a deal with the New England Patriots and is scheduled to report to the team on Thursday in time for a rookie mini-camp. Love said he had a handful of offers after the draft. The “hottest” teams were Jacksonville, Arizona, St. Louis and Seattle. But he opted to try to land a roster spot with the Patriots.

“It’s been a long day and a lot of stressing going on,” Love said. “A lot of teams called me during the draft. A lot of teams called me after the draft. But signing with the Patriots was a great feeling.”
http://nwahogblog.com/2009/04/jamar-love-signs/

Brian Hoyer
Position: QB
School: Michigan State
6-2, 215

BIOGRAPHY: Two-year starter who totaled 51%/2,404/9/9 as a senior after 59.3%/2,725/20/11 as a junior.

POSITIVES: Strong-armed passer with the physical tools to play at the next level. Patient in the pocket, stands against the rush, and possesses a quick release, immediately getting the ball out of his hand. Makes good decisions as the pocket collapses around him, throws with a fluid over-the-top delivery, and can make all the throws. Zips the outs, throws a nice deep pass, putting air under the ball, and let receivers run to the pass. Puts touch on throws when necessary. Loses no velocity throwing on the move. Displays good field vision, and has a nice sense of where his receivers are on the field.

NEGATIVES: Must improve his accuracy, pass placement, and mechanics. Takes a while to set up in the pocket, does not consistently throw with proper footwork, and usually high of the mark. Not an elusive passer who can avoid the rush.

ANALYSIS: Since taking over as the starting quarterback at Michigan State as a junior, Hoyer has done a fine job leading the team. He possesses the arm strength to play at the next level, yet he must improve his mechanics, which will only make his passes more accurate.

PROJECTION: Fifth Round
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...yers/21584.html

Antonio Appleby
Position: ILB
School: Virginia
6-3, 251
40 Time: 4.71

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter who posted 72/7.5/1 as a senior after junior totals of 60/5/6.5/2.5. Sophomore totals included 68 tackles.

POSITIVES: Underrated linebacker who stands out in run defense. Quick up the field, squares into tackles, and wraps up ball carriers, bringing them down on initial contact. Displays a good head for the ball and solid instincts in run defense. Gets depth on drops, fluid moving laterally, and covers a lot of area on the field. Good speed to the sidelines in pursuit of the action. Remains disciplined with assignments and effectively gets his teammates in proper position.

NEGATIVES: Easily slowed up by blocks or knocked from his angle of attack. Shows average skills in pass coverage.

ANALYSIS: Appleby has been a terrific linebacker at Virginia, yet he is overshadowed by the many headliners in the program. He offers definite possibilities at the next level, and it would not at all be a surprise if Appleby develops into a starter on the inside of a 3-4 defense.

PROJECTION: Fifth Round
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...yers/47615.html

Hoyer is a pretty good QB.  should be able to be our 3rd qb.

I know absolutely nothing about jamar love, but he is a big (6 feet is pretty big by our standards) and FAST.

We'll see, they usually find at least a couple undrafted guys that make the team...so heres to hoping.

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2009, 01:25:02 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
We'll see, they usually find at least a couple undrafted guys that make the team...so heres to hoping.

... and that not only make the team but contribute in a meaningful way.  Gary Guyton and Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis come to mind.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2009, 09:56:20 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
also two guys from navy

Navy fullback Eric Kettani and receiver Tyree Barnes have agreed to rookie free-agent contracts with the Patriots, according to the Annapolis Capital.

Bill Wagner blogs the news this morning:

Kettani, a 6-foot-1, 233-pound fullback, ranks eighth on Navy's all-time rushing list with 2,091 career yards. Barnes, a 6-foot-2, 197-pound wide receiver, led the Midshipmen with 20 receptions for 400 yards last season. New England was one of four NFL teams that came to the Naval Academy this month to work out Kettani and Barnes ...

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2009, 02:07:32 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
That Appleby guy sounds like a great undrafted FA signing... Guyton performed well and they're probably looking to catch lightning in a bottle again. Belichick loves surehanded tacklers (like McKenzie too), and that would fit the bio provided.

The Pats seem to have focused on guys that have been overshadowed in other programs with their selections. Tate, Appleby and Ron Brace all come to mind quickly as players that aren't getting as much attention because of their more publicized counterparts. 
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."