Author Topic: NFL Draft Predictions / Patriots Draft  (Read 13669 times)

Re: NFL Draft Predictions
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 11:39:55 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Again, another 3rd shipped off for a 2nd next year. Good trade again

Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff April 26, 2009 11:36 AM
The Patriots have traded the 89th overall pick to the Titans.

In return, they receive a 2010 second-round pick.

Analysis to come.

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 12:07:21 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Tyrone McKenzie was the next pick.  projects to play ILB for us.

Good kid, had a very serious leg injury (has a titanium rod in there now) and had some pretty tough family problems in college which resulted in him transfering 3 times.  very mature.  Pat's worked him out privately.

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 12:08:06 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The "Asante Samuel" compensatory pick was used on a LB -- I thought they would draft one much earlier, but -- heck, who am I to argue with BB?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 12:09:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

It shocks me that 1) teams are willing to give up this much in future value, and 2) teams other than the Patriots aren't jumping on this trend.

Two extra #2s next year gives the Pats a ton of flexibility, especially in what should be a deeper draft.

As Mike Reiss pointed out:

When looking at Bill Belichick's drafts since 2000, he has now made 13 trades that involved acquiring a pick the next year, easily a league high. Belichick generally feels that a chance to move up one round -- one year later -- is good business.

It shocks me that BB is the only one who clearly sees the value of this trend.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 12:12:45 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Tyrone McKenzie:

The 6-2, 243-pound McKenzie is a tackling machine and has one of the draft's more interesting background stories.

He played at three colleges, and after his mother was left unable to work by injuries suffered in an accident he left school and was working from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. at a Hampton Inn to support her and his three sisters.

McKenzie started out at Michigan State, but was forced to leave school in the spring of 2005 to take care of his family as a hotel worker. He transferred to Iowa State and sat out the 2005 season. Returning to the field in 2006, McKenzie started all 12 games for Iowa State at middle linebacker and finished eighth in the nation in tackles per game (10.8).

He then transferred to South Florida in 2007 and did not have to sit out a season because the NCAA granted him a hardship waiver on the grounds that the transfer was to be closer to his ailing mother -- USF is 15 minutes from his family's home in Riverview, Fla. McKenzie led South Florida in tackles in 2007 playing strong-side linebacker and collecting a school-record 121 stops.

Last season, McKenzie led the Bulls in tackles again and earned first-team All-Big East honors.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 12:13:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

It shocks me that 1) teams are willing to give up this much in future value, and 2) teams other than the Patriots aren't jumping on this trend.

Two extra #2s next year gives the Pats a ton of flexibility, especially in what should be a deeper draft.

When looking at Bill Belichick's drafts since 2000, he has now made 13 trades that involved acquiring a pick the next year, easily a league high. Belichick generally feels that a chance to move up one round -- one year later -- is good business.

Its definitely a move that has paid dividends for the Pats over the last few years.  It gives them flexibility in future drafts and more ammo to move around with as seen with some of the draft day trades made yesterday.  

It is interesting to see that other teams haven't picked up on this strategy.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 12:16:58 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Its definitely a move that has paid dividends for the Pats over the last few years.  It gives them flexibility in future drafts and more ammo to move around with as seen with some of the draft day trades made yesterday.  

I'm not surprised that less established coaches don't do this -- they are typically on a short leash and may not be around to see the fruits of their labor, so to speak.  But there is no reason that more established coaches, who are relatively safe in their jobs, can't be doing this. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 12:17:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm still digesting the information on the Pats' picks but I like how they were able to get Butler in the mid 2nd round rather than in the 1st where many were projecting him to go  That's just good value.  

I love the Brace pick.  As someone who has seen Brace play while following BC, the kid can flatout play.  He was overshadowed a bit by Raji but I didn't see much dropoff there.  It's great insurance in case a new deal can't be worked out with Wilfork but I also think you'll see some more 4-3 formations out there.  With Wilfork & Brace in the interior, it could prove to be pretty formidable.  This pick is going to allow Belichick to get even more creative with his defensive schemes.

It also doesn't hurt that Brace is a Worcester boy!   ;D

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 12:19:57 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'm not surprised that less established coaches don't do this -- they are typically on a short leash and may not be around to see the fruits of their labor, so to speak.  But there is no reason that more established coaches, who are relatively safe in their jobs, can't be doing this. 

I agree with that.  The Pats do have the luxury of being perhaps the deepest team in the NFL so they can afford to move picks into the future without damaging their current squad. 

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 12:20:33 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

It's great insurance in case a new deal can't be worked out with Wilfork but I also think you'll see some more 4-3 formations out there.  With Wilfork & Brace in the interior, it could prove to be pretty formidable.  This pick is going to allow Belichick to get even more creative with his defensive schemes.

Every year we hear that there will be more 4-3 from the team as a result of the dline being the strongest part of the team, the lb's maybe being weaker, etc...but they never do it.  I mean, sure they will use it occasionally, but not any more then other years(or thats at least how it seems to me).

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 12:23:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

It's great insurance in case a new deal can't be worked out with Wilfork but I also think you'll see some more 4-3 formations out there.  With Wilfork & Brace in the interior, it could prove to be pretty formidable.  This pick is going to allow Belichick to get even more creative with his defensive schemes.

Every year we hear that there will be more 4-3 from the team as a result of the dline being the strongest part of the team, the lb's maybe being weaker, etc...but they never do it.  I mean, sure they will use it occasionally, but not any more then other years(or thats at least how it seems to me).

They've never had two giant space eaters in the caliber of Wilfork/Brace, though.

I still think it'll primarily be 3-4, but I think you'll see a bit more of situational 4-3 out there now with that interior.

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 12:30:38 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

They've never had two giant space eaters in the caliber of Wilfork/Brace, though.

I still think it'll primarily be 3-4, but I think you'll see a bit more of situational 4-3 out there now with that interior.

except the argument was made (after Jarvis had that really solid year with a ton of sacks) to move Warren inside with Wilfork (Warren's pretty large) and start Jarvis opposite Seymour. 

We'll see what they do, but I would be surprised if there is all that much more 4-3 than in years past.

Pretty interesting to see the draft going somewhat as predicted for the pats in the sense of Defense Defense Defense.  The two offensive guys they have acquired in their first 6 picks are both thought of as developmental/injured guys who wont contribute this year. 

I am surprised DJ Moore is still available.  Seems to me a situation where teams are looking to much at the slow 40 yard dash time.  His actual play has been stellar.  While he is also a bit short, he isnt shorter then guys like Hobbs.

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 01:30:35 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Ellis Hobbs just traded for two 5th rounders.  Wow.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2009, 01:32:56 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

I dont like that trade at all.  Hobbs provides a ton on special teams and is a pretty good corner.  They must have decided they were not going to resign him upon becoming a fa.

I would have thought he had more value than 2 5th rounders.

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 01:40:10 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

I dont like that trade at all.  Hobbs provides a ton on special teams and is a pretty good corner.  They must have decided they were not going to resign him upon becoming a fa.

I would have thought he had more value than 2 5th rounders.

Agreed.  He was an excellent kickoff returner in addition to a decent corner.  On the plus side, the Pats free up $2.7M in salary, or so.
Celtics fan for life.