Author Topic: Cutler traded to Chicago for Orton and 2 1st rd picks  (Read 18851 times)

Re: Cutler traded to Chicago for Orton and 2 1st rd picks
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 06:59:25 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
The contract and the time line. Pat's had to move very quick.

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2009, 07:43:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
2 first rounders, a third rounder, and Kyle Orton for Jay Cutler?

IMO, that's a ransom that the Bears paid for him.  My inclination is to say that the Bears will rue the day they made this deal.  I'm not as high on Cutler as most.  The kid definitely has some talent but he's not a top 5 QB in the NFL and the Bears just paid top 5 like compensation for him.  How are the Bears gonna fill other needs now?  Losing two first rounders can very well be HUGE.

Broncos are sitting pretty with draft picks right now.  They're not a bad team to begin with so if they draft right, they could fill a lot of holes and get some depth on their squad.  McDaniels has shown that he can work wonders with quarterbacks so whether its Orton, Simms, or someone else, I think the Broncos offense should still be alright.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2009, 07:43:24 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Looks like Chicago gave up a #3, as well.  They definitely overpaid from my perspective, but in the end it doesn't bother me.
Considering the Bears gaping hole at QB since, well forever, I'm okay with "overpaying". If he's actually a "franchise" QB he'll be worth it.

Now the defense needs to live up to its hefty payroll...

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Wow they got so much more for Cutler than we got for Cassell.

Cutler wasn't on a one-year, 14.5 million-dollar deal, either.

I have Celtics on the brain, but when I read "Cassell", I was thinking Sam.  I was definitely confused.

I'm also a huge Bears fan. I think it is a great deal. Cutler will be happy with all his former Vandy teammates on the team. He'll have Earl Bennett to throw the ball to and Chris Williams protecting him at right tackle. Plus, the Bears have another Vanderbilt alumni in Hunter Hillenmeyer on defense. On top of all that, Cutler is a lot closer to his hometown on Santa Clause, Indiana. A happy qb, means the Bears will be a contender again. :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 07:46:45 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
[dang] Roy you keep asking for players and receiving them, Cutler, Pace... now maybe Holt.  If you go 3 for 3 I'll be impressed.  

Orton was playing awesome before he got hurt, I had him in Fantasy.  And that was with a bad offense.    

Denver needs to address the defense and they could fair well this year.  

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2009, 07:48:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

IMO, that's a ransom that the Bears paid for him.  My inclination is to say that the Bears will rue the day they made this deal.  I'm not as high on Cutler as most.  The kid definitely has some talent but he's not a top 5 QB in the NFL and the Bears just paid top 5 like compensation for him.  How are the Bears gonna fill other needs now?  Losing two first rounders can very well be HUGE.

Broncos are sitting pretty with draft picks right now.  They're not a bad team to begin with so if they draft right, they could fill a lot of holes and get some depth on their squad.  McDaniels has shown that he can work wonders with quarterbacks so whether its Orton, Simms, or someone else, I think the Broncos offense should still be alright.
Orton isn't all that relevant. If you're trading for Cutler, Orton is no longer of a whole lot of use. Depth at the QB is nice but there are quality backups to be had.

2 firsts and a third is a lot. But the Bears are trying to win now with their current slate of defensive players. Would the 18th pick and their 3rd rounder help this year more than upgrading from Orton to Cutler?

First round picks work out around half the time. I think Cutler is worth gambling on.

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2009, 07:50:21 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
[dang] Roy you keep asking for players and receiving them, Cutler, Pace... now maybe Holt.  If you go 3 for 3 I'll be impressed.  

Orton was playing awesome before he got hurt, I had him in Fantasy.  And that was with a bad offense.    

Denver needs to address the defense and they could fair well this year.  
Pace is big. Even though his best days are behind him the Bears needed tackle depth badly.

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2009, 07:52:26 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
  How are the Bears gonna fill other needs now?  Losing two first rounders can very well be HUGE.

Well, even after the deal, they have picks five picks in the first five rounds (2,3,4,5,5), and they've upgraded the O-line in free agency.  They'll be able to fill out their squad.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Orton isn't all that relevant. If you're trading for Cutler, Orton is no longer of a whole lot of use. Depth at the QB is nice but there are quality backups to be had.

2 firsts and a third is a lot. But the Bears are trying to win now with their current slate of defensive players. Would the 18th pick and their 3rd rounder help this year more than upgrading from Orton to Cutler?

First round picks work out around half the time. I think Cutler is worth gambling on.

I agree that with Cutler heading over to Chicago, the loss of Orton is minimal at best.  Still, a decent talent is being given up.

Even with the addition of Cutler, I don't see it making them the NFC favorites or the elite of the NFC.  A "win now" mentality has a steep price to pay if it doesn't pan out.  Losing multiple first rounders also inhibits your ability to sustain success.  Vets start dropping off and you expect quality guys to step in and replace him.  The loss of the ability to acquire 1st round talent doesn't help.

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 07:57:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
  How are the Bears gonna fill other needs now?  Losing two first rounders can very well be HUGE.

Well, even after the deal, they have picks five picks in the first five rounds (2,3,4,5,5), and they've upgraded the O-line in free agency.  They'll be able to fill out their squad.

5 picks should help.  Acquiring the 2009 Orlando Pace, not the 2000 Orlando Pace, I'm not so sure about.  However, if the money is right, then definitely worth the risk. 

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 07:57:24 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I agree. Jerry Angelo is about as good as Danny Ainge at getting value in later rounds. There is nothing to worry about.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2009, 08:20:09 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
And to add to the bit about Cassel's salary and the need for the Pats to move quick, I also think teams aren't sold that Cassel is going to be the same QB when you take him away from BB, Moss, and Welker. 

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2009, 08:54:57 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I agree that with Cutler heading over to Chicago, the loss of Orton is minimal at best.  Still, a decent talent is being given up.

Even with the addition of Cutler, I don't see it making them the NFC favorites or the elite of the NFC.  A "win now" mentality has a steep price to pay if it doesn't pan out.  Losing multiple first rounders also inhibits your ability to sustain success.  Vets start dropping off and you expect quality guys to step in and replace him.  The loss of the ability to acquire 1st round talent doesn't help.
But even if it doesn't work with this slate of defensive players, you've acquired a 25 year old QB who people already regard as an upper echelon QB. So if this year and the next don't bring playoff success you can still rebuild with Cutler as your QB.

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2009, 08:55:32 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I think Cassel is pretty good.  The problem is, if KC can't sign him to a long term deal, they have to franchise him again (and take a 14-15M cap hit) or let him walk.
So Cassel has alot of leverage in the negotiations.

Cutler, in contrast, is halfway through the six-year, $48 million contract he signed as the 11th overall pick out of Vanderbilt in the 2006 draft. His salary cap number for next season is a mere $1 million.

That's why Cutler was worth so much more in a trade.  Having said that, I think the Bears overpaid-- by alot.

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 08:56:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

5 picks should help.  Acquiring the 2009 Orlando Pace, not the 2000 Orlando Pace, I'm not so sure about.  However, if the money is right, then definitely worth the risk. 
You're right a lot depends on what money he got. But the Bears had lost two of their tackles, and were going to have to rely on Chris Williams to be their left tackle. The Bears needed to reload on the line, and Pace was as good as they were likely to get.