Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Lowkey the Celtics currently have Bruins 2022-2023 written all over them so far. Overachieving in the regular season and then looking overrated in the postseason.

Already seeing a lot of memes with the "fraudulent" #1 seed in the East, and it's "the Knicks' conference to lose" and all that chatter.
Around the NBA / Re: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs
« Last post by angryguy77 on Today at 01:54:32 AM »
Now that's how a #1 seed should play. Blowout the 8 seed like how they're supposed to. Not sure why certain 1 seeds have so much trouble with the 8th best team in their conference.

Did you miss them winning the first game at the buzzer or are you just trying to be annoying?

Fact is they still won and are up 2-0 while Boston is 1-1 at home against a depleted Heat team, what's more embarrassing?

Obviously we would all prefer to be up 2-0 but pretty silly to talk about them taking care of a business like they should with a blowout when they had a squeaker the game before. Defeats your point.

Squeaker? They won by 20.
Patriots / Football / Re: 2024 NFL Draft
« Last post by SparzWizard on Today at 01:50:42 AM »
Despite Robert Kraft not being involved in draft process, Jonathan Kraft is heavily involved in the draft process for New England.

How to turn a fanbase against you in four months.
« Last post by celticsclay on Today at 01:50:10 AM »
Now that's how a #1 seed should play. Blowout the 8 seed like how they're supposed to. Not sure why certain 1 seeds have so much trouble with the 8th best team in their conference.

Did you miss them winning the first game at the buzzer or are you just trying to be annoying?

Fact is they still won and are up 2-0 while Boston is 1-1 at home against a depleted Heat team, what's more embarrassing?

Obviously we would all prefer to be up 2-0 but pretty silly to talk about them taking care of a business like they should with a blowout when they had a squeaker the game before. Defeats your point.
« Last post by SparzWizard on Today at 01:42:58 AM »

Not gonna lose many games when you shoot 23-43 from 3PT land for 53.5% shooting.

C Martin = 5-6 3PTA
Jovic = 3-4 3PTA
Herro = 6-11 3PTA
Jaquez = 3-6 3PTA
Highsmith = 3-5 3PTA

D Robinson = 2-7 3PTA
D Wright = 1-3 3PTA
Bam = 0-1 3PTA

If.you don't contest the 3, this will happen again. Idc how bad an NBA team is, they are at the top level for a reason.

Last year they did the same thing because we played poor defense on the 3.

Joe is doing the exact same thing expecting  different result.

If we win a title with this clown, it will be one of the biggest upsets in NBA history that won't be noticed.
Around the NBA / Re: The NBA is too all in on gambling.
« Last post by celticsclay on Today at 12:53:22 AM »
All of America is TOO all in on gambling, or at least the amount. Of gambling companies and commercials are eclipsing male help  type products .

People who seem to like betting are folk that shouldn't be wasting money , they should spend first for health of their  children, shelter , gas and other essentials. It screws with their priorities.  I don’t think encouraging them is good.

I’m pretty much in agreement but then again I don’t do sports gambling so I don’t have a personal interest in it. So, all the betting line and gambling talk throughout broadcasts is a minor annoyance to me - not a huge deal but I’d prefer none of it. I do think we’re in the midst of an initial heightened wave of gambling - not that it didn’t exist prior to the laws changing but there is an intense boom currently - a lot of people who didn’t bet much before are betting now. I wonder how many will start to cut back realizing that it’s easy to get overly wrapped up in it. I think gambling can pretty easily become an obsession - even if the $$ isn’t out of control. That is, that every day a predominance of thought is devoted to lines and bets and ultimately, the outcomes - all to start over as soon as the night’s games end.  And of course, some are betting amounts they can’t afford to lose, and I’m pretty confident there’s a good number concealing some of the betting from spouses.  All this has the potential to be pretty unhealthy and costly money-wise, relationship-wise, and impactful to one’s mental health. Having said that, I also have no doubt that most bettors have it under control and are just enjoying a new source of entertainment. But, I do hope that the focus on betting on sports channels - radio and TV -  reduces at some point.

Yeah even as someone that enjoys it they really need to cut down on the ads.
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2024/04/joe-mazzulla-gives-bizarre-assessment-of-celtics-game-2-defense-vs-heat.html

The Heat made history in Game 2 on Wednesday night, erupting for a postseason franchise record 23 3-point makes in a 111-101 upset win over the Celtics to even the series at 1-1. The bombardment came from a diverse cast for the undermanned Heat with six different players knocking down multiple 3s as the team shot a scorching-hot 53.5 percent from 3-point range.

The move to fire away from deep should not come as a surprising choice. Without Jimmy Butler and Terry Rozier, Miami lacks reliable creators and attackers at the rim outside of Bam Adebayo and Tyler Herro. The team was going to need to roll the dice from beyond the arc to give themselves a chance. Their hot start put added pressure on a Celtics offense that struggled to keep pace and got little help all night beyond their two All-Stars.

Yet the assessment of Miami’s steellar shooting after the game led to a bizarre evaluation by Mazzulla of his team’s role defensively in the outburst.

“Defensively, obviously they made a conscious effort with free reign to shoot more,” Mazzulla said. “I thought most of those were moderately to heavily contested, so we’re going to have to make the adjustment on some of those.”

That assessment stood in contrast to a couple of Celtics players after the defeat as Jaylen Brown and Jrue Holiday acknowledged the Celtics were willing to let most Heat shooters fire away.

“They were making shots, guys that we want shooting the ball were hitting them,” Brown said. “Seemingly couldn’t get them to miss. Credit to those guys.”

Holiday was more candid about Boston’s tactics right out of the gate.

“I think just starting off, the guys that we wanted to shoot, not that we let them, but it wasn’t like a get out to them and put it on the ground,” Holiday said. It was kind of like protect the basket but still get a close-out, but they started knocking them in. We know Martin can shoot, but they had guys out there that were knocking in everything, even Jaime Jaquez just knocking it in.”

Miami’s hot shooting night should have had a familiar feel for the Celtics as Game 2 proved to be the fourth time in the last two postseasons that the Heat shot 50 percent or better from 3-point range.

A video review of Miami’s made 3s indicates that Mazzulla’s assertions are dubious. There were maybe 10 total contests of those 23 3-point field goals by the Heat and that’s having a generous threshold for what this author considers to be a contested shot. Boston moderately or heavily contested perhaps a handful of those makes. The rest? The Celtics were inviting wide-open looks. A few came on defensive breakdowns via rotations (another area Boston had to clean up) but the Celtics gameplan here was clear and failed.

Mazzulla’s late-game tactics were also questionable. The team threw an extra body at the Herro/Adebayo pick-and-roll and left wide-open hot shooters (Haywood Highsmith, Caleb Martin) with the game on the line with ugly results. Closing the game out with Kristaps Porzingis (-32) over Al Horford (+8) invites debate as well since Horford was the superior defender on this night.

Ultimately, there is nothing here that the Celtics can’t clean up going into Game 3. Yet, Mazzulla’s gameplan opened the door for the Heat to fully lean into their high 3-point shooting volume. Miami’s drivers shouldn’t share the Celtics more than their ability to hit the 3-ball in this series. While Jaquez and Martin shot over their heads in Game 2, they did so on wide-open looks. Meanwhile, Boston did a horrific job respecting a host of 40 percent 3-point shooters (Herro, Highsmith, Jovic) and was punished accordingly.

The pressure is on Mazzulla and the Celtics to respond on this front in Game 3 to retake command.

“I think we’ve gotta be more creative,” Tatum said. “The playoffs are about making adjustments game to game, and they did that...They’re supposed to try to mess things a little up, and make it a little bit tougher. So it’s our job to react in real time, as well as make our adjustments going from game to game.”

I love BRobb. He's always willing to call out Joe's questionable decisions.

This is just so bad. Not only were all of our memories right that the majority of the shots were anything but "moderately to heavily contested", but this kind of gameplan just makes no sense to me whatsoever. Sure, in the NBA you at times definitely have to give up something to stop something that is more impactful, but that's generally the case for high-powered offenses like Denver, where you might sag off of Gordon to double Jokic or stay tighter to everyone else.

But against a mediocre Heat offense that has no Butler or Rozier, why in the world are we giving up open looks to their shooters, particularly some of their better shooters? In fact, this just played right into their hands. Their only chance was to try and shoot and hit a lot of threes, and at their core that's what they are - a three point shooting team. So what sense does it make to really pack the paint in this scenario? And it's not like we laid off some of their shooters to stay tighter on their better shooters like Herro or Robinson, as we were essentially giving them wide open looks off of every PnR by dropping so low with our big. And then Robb picks up on the late-game adjustment to bring the extra help out on the high PnR instead of just going small, which again just left wide open hot shooters to hit more threes.

Just make it make sense.

It's time to start holding Brad accountable for this. Any GM can make moves when an owner gives you a blank check. Usually GM's start getting heat when their second coach flames out.

JT will have his prime wasted if the franchise doesn't get competent leadership.
Patriots / Football / Re: 2024 NFL Draft
« Last post by celticsclay on Today at 12:40:58 AM »
I think it would be hard to quantify what a hit or bust is.

For example, if MHJ averages say 750 yards a year for the next 7 or 8 years, is he a bust? No of course not. I just wouldn't call that a hit either.

Going by the contract also seems silly.

What do people think the chances are that MHJ turns out to be a bust? I’d probably go with about 10%. This is why I hope the Pats take him at 3. Drake Maye on the other hand seems like he has 75% chance of being a bust. Obviously both are positions of need, but MHJ seems about as close to a sure thing as you can get.
There is no way Maye is at 75% to bust. More like 20%. Daniels is far more likely to bust based on college, his fast huge rise, etc.  Maye has been projected as a very high pick for multiple seasons. Those guys bust at a mich lower frequency.

No way is Maye only a 20% chance to bust. He regressed this season. I don’t think any of the QB’s in this draft are close to being a lock.
Depends on how you define bust and what the other options are.  If he hangs around the league as backup for 10 seasons, that certainly isn't what you want from a top pick but I wouldn't call it a bust.

If a top-3 pick turns into a career backup, I'd call him a bust.

Agreed. I was about to type the same thing.

Yes clearly a top 3 pick as a career backup is a terrible outcome.
Game Threads / Re: Heat (0-1) at Celtics (1-0) Round 1 Game #2 4/24/24
« Last post by ozgod on Today at 12:40:18 AM »
Jayson Tatum got in his own head in the third quarter because he didn’t get a foul called. It impacted every part of his game from the point on. He missed layups. He was lazy on defense. He missed free throws.

This team is so poorly equipped mentally to handle anything. When things don’t go their way or aren’t easy they fall to pieces.

I need white jrue and KP to get things going.

Kp deserves plenty of blame for his play today also. He couldn’t score on herro or Duncan 1 on 1 several times. Turnovers when they doubled him. Awful shooting.

That had to be his worst game as a Celtic. He was god awful from start to finish.

The shooting was bad enough, missing bunnies from 10 feet away, clanking 3s, being treated like a turnstile, and being a -32 in a game we lost by 10 which means whenever we would come back KP would get subbed in and give up a lead agin…but worst of all one field goal in the 2nd half? That’s epic level shrinking from the moment right there  :(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10