Author Topic: 2023-2024 WNBA Season  (Read 858 times)

2023-2024 WNBA Season
« on: Yesterday at 07:56:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
Thought I'd start this thread for conversation around the growth of the WNBA this season.

The WNBA shouldn't try to copy the NBA. They should form their own product, but they should learn from them. I watched several pre-season games and the beginning of this season is brutal with the dead-balls and foul calls.

They can't afford to bore fans during the Caitlyn Clark revolution. They need to figure this out quickly so fans want to watch a good product as much as they did during the college basketball season.

Re: 2023-2024 WNBA Season
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:04:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424
I was enjoying Caitlin Clark's passing. She was on another level than all the other players on the floor in the Q1 in terms of passing & creativity.

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:12:29 PM »

• Paul Silas
I was enjoying Caitlin Clark's passing. She was on another level than all the other players on the floor in the Q1 in terms of passing & creativity.

I agree, but this 1/4 (two bigs at the free throw line) offense they run that clogs the court up is stupid.

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:23:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Indy getting a beatdown now.

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:30:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Hey! Three pointer for C Clark!

Her 1st three pointer.

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 09:28:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Caitlin Clark drives down the right wing, along the baseline, under the rim, out the left side, back out to the three point line and drains a three pointer. Fun.

I have missed the Q3 and some of the 2nd quarter due to the Knicks - Pacers game but is has been up and down for Clark so far. Definite signs of brilliance. Also signs of adapting to a new league and level of competition.

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 09:29:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Clark and Haliburton remind me a lot of one another. The way they play. Skillful big guards. Beautiful passers. Deep three point shooters. Offensive dynamos.

Amazing Indiana got both of them.

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:31:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Oh my. That was a tough 3.

Clark's scoring efficiency has jumped up after a couple of 3s. A little like Steph Curry. He has a bad shooting night. Then drains a couple of 3s and suddenly things do not look so bad anymore.

5-13 FGA 6-6 FTA 18pts. 4-10 on threes.

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:34:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Clark keeps giving her teammates solid passes where they are open for a quick 3 but her teammates keep turning it down. They want to drive instead. They do not look comfortable firing up 3s.

She could have another half a dozen assists easily if her teammates shot some of these and caught some of her passes that they were not ready for.

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:37:09 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Clark looks lightweight on those drives. Others are bigger & stronger than her. Struggling with the contact.

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 09:48:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Connecticut were impressive.

Four big performances. I liked that big guard Tysha Harris. Kept the ball moving, maintained pace, calmed things down and scored the ball well with 16pts. Dijonai Carrington was an explosive SG with 16pts. Then two versatile forwards. Dewanna Bonner with 20pts and 6reb. Alyssa Thomas with a triple double with 13pts 13ast 10reb but 7 TOVs. Appearently she was 2nd in MVP last year (15.5ppg 10rpg 8apg).

Their team defense was terrific. They locked down Indy. Admittedly Indy's offense did not look to threatening but Connecticut's defense was awesome as well. Stats say they were 2nd in defensive efficiency last year.

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 10:00:15 PM »

• Paul Silas
Connecticut were impressive.

Four big performances. I liked that big guard Tysha Harris. Kept the ball moving, maintained pace, calmed things down and scored the ball well with 16pts. Dijonai Carrington was an explosive SG with 16pts. Then two versatile forwards. Dewanna Bonner with 20pts and 6reb. Alyssa Thomas with a triple double with 13pts 13ast 10reb but 7 TOVs. Appearently she was 2nd in MVP last year (15.5ppg 10rpg 8apg).

Their team defense was terrific. They locked down Indy. Admittedly Indy's offense did not look to threatening but Connecticut's defense was awesome as well. Stats say they were 2nd in defensive efficiency last year.

Agree with you. Their defense looked good.

I think Clark will have a few more TO games like this, but I anticipate she will figure it out quickly.

I just can't stand this offense they are running. They need a wing shooter/defender, and then they should go with just one big at least for stretches of the game.