Author Topic: Syracuse Basketball and Jim Boeheim Penalized by N.C.A.A.  (Read 5591 times)

Re: Syracuse Basketball and Jim Boeheim Penalized by N.C.A.A.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 03:38:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I have to wonder if Jim B decides to walk away after this season, or perhaps more likely, next. He is 70 years old and coaching in the ACC with 3 less scholarships players available for three full seasons means the team will be at a competitive disadvantage for the next 5 or 6 seasons (while the limited classes are still cycling through the program).

I have to imagine he would want to go out on his own terms, meaning he wouldn't want to walk away instead of serving the suspension, but after that, does he really want to go through a rebuild at his age and spend his last 5 years coaching in an environment he can't make the NCAA's realistically?

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 03:42:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Where is Keith Olberman to tell us that Jim B is the most horrible coach in the history of the world?

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Where is Keith Olberman to tell us that Jim B is the most horrible coach in the history of the world?

I think he is suspended from ESPN for attacking Penn State student's that were proud of raising money for pediatric cancer patients. He was actively attacking random student's grammar and stuff. I think he may have been drunk and it could be the beginning of the end for him.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 03:48:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Bout time. Syracuse has been running dirty programs for quite some time.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 03:58:01 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
New Yorker here. Go to college in Syracuse. I personally think the penalties are too harsh.

What I am ok with:
1) Sure take away Boeheim's wins. Ultimately he's responsible.
2) Boeheim being suspended for the first 9 ACC games next year. Sure that's fine too.
3) Probation for 5 years, ok I get it.

What I'm not ok with:
Taking away 25% of Syracuse's scholarships for the next 4 years. Penn State football (by percentage) had less scholarships taken away, and in that program we are talking sodomy, rape, and pedophilia. This is worse than that? I don't think so.

North Carolina, watch out. You're up next and with the corrupt NCAA in charge you may get the death penalty, but seriously I shutter to think what UNC's penalty will be because their violations are way worse than Syracuse's.   

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

what D1 program doesn't? 

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 04:28:54 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
North Carolina, watch out. You're up next and with the corrupt NCAA in charge you may get the death penalty, but seriously I shutter to think what UNC's penalty will be because their violations are way worse than Syracuse's.
Are they? Both were just straight up fixing grades, the hoops jumped through are slightly different that's all.

I do love the indignation that scholarships are taken away. If you don't punish the monster that motivates the cheating, then they'll just cheat again. Happens everytime.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
New Yorker here. Go to college in Syracuse. I personally think the penalties are too harsh.

What I am ok with:
2) Boeheim being suspended for the first 9 ACC games next year. Sure that's fine too.

What I'm not ok with:
Taking away 25% of Syracuse's scholarships for the next 4 years. Penn State football (by percentage) had less scholarships taken away, and in that program we are talking sodomy, rape, and pedophilia. This is worse than that? I don't think so.

I think a difference is the PSU stuff is a crime that has to go to trial. In fact the guy that did it did go to trial and is in jail for a long time.
It wasn't a matter of bad recruiting, or academic fraud (indeed PSU has a great academic record) or steroids or improper benefits or anything like that.
The guy that did it is in jail and the others that might have looked the other way are going on trial and the school did get some serious penalties for something they might not have even really done. The trials should explain a lot, but the guys all lost their jobs.
Is Boeheim going to lose his job? And wasn't there a certain pedo issue at Syracuse? Yes there was. Interesting we haven't hear a lot about that.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 06:54:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

What I am ok with:

What I'm not ok with:

I think a difference is the PSU stuff is a crime that has to go to trial. In fact the guy that did it did go to trial and is in jail for a long time.
It wasn't a matter of bad recruiting, or academic fraud (indeed PSU has a great academic record) or steroids or improper benefits or anything like that.
The guy that did it is in jail and the others that might have looked the other way are going on trial and the school did get some serious penalties for something they might not have even really done. The trials should explain a lot, but the guys all lost their jobs.
Is Boeheim going to lose his job? And wasn't there a certain pedo issue at Syracuse? Yes there was. Interesting we haven't hear a lot about that.

Is Penn State really going to be a brought up a comparison for any NCAA scandal in any sport? Whether you agree with the punishments of Penn State or not, I think everyone can agree it was a really unique situation. The NCAA obviously has already admitted that and really had no idea how to punish it.

Now ineligible players and academic fraud are not unique cases and have been happening and getting caught for a long time in both basketball and football. Why not compare Syracuse penalties to those kinds of cases instead of bringing in a completely different animal? Apples to Apples as they say...

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 07:03:58 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Indeed.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 07:27:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

What I am ok with:

What I'm not ok with:

Is Penn State really going to be a brought up a comparison for any NCAA scandal in any sport? Whether you agree with the punishments of Penn State or not, I think everyone can agree it was a really unique situation. The NCAA obviously has already admitted that and really had no idea how to punish it.

Now ineligible players and academic fraud are not unique cases and have been happening and getting caught for a long time in both basketball and football. Why not compare Syracuse penalties to those kinds of cases instead of bringing in a completely different animal? Apples to Apples as they say...
I definitely think PSU will be brought up for a long time. I would agree with you, but I think maybe the comparison here comes in the severity of sanctions. In some ways it's a bit comparable.