Author Topic: NCAA 2014-2015 game thread  (Read 7941 times)

NCAA 2014-2015 game thread
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:24:21 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Duke vs. Michigan St. is on ESPN now.  Kentucky vs. Kansas is on at 9.

Okafor is scoring at will in the low post early in the game.  He looks very skilled.

Re: NCAA 2014-2015 game thread
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Okafor is scoring at will in the low post early in the game.  He looks very skilled.

He is. He's the best prospect to come out since Anthony Davis.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 07:34:37 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
Another player to take note of on Duke is Justice Winslow who is a freshman SF who is currently projected by Draft Express as the 8th pick.

The Kansas/Kentucky game has a lot of guys Ainge is probably watching closely... Karl Towns, WCS, Dakari Johnson, Cliff Alexander, Kelly Oubre, and others.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 07:39:41 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Another player to take note of on Duke is Justice Winslow who is a freshman SF who is currently projected by Draft Express as the 8th pick.

The Kansas/Kentucky game has a lot of guys Ainge is probably watching closely... Karl Towns, WCS, Dakari Johnson, Cliff Alexander, Kelly Oubre, and others.

Don't forget Tyus Jones too. He's another highly touted player that plays for Duke.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 07:42:21 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Don't forget Tyus Jones too. He's another highly touted player that plays for Duke.

Yeah, Duke is loaded with talented freshmen this year.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 07:44:10 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Aside from his defensive ability, I don't think that the Unibrow has many skills, honestly.  His game is based mostly based on athleticism right now, but maybe I'm wrong.  Isn't he supposed to be a pretty good passer?  He compares favorably to Marcus Camby, as many alluded to when he came out of college, but I don't think he's a superstar.  Yet.

As for Okafor, I suggest that everyone turns of their TVs right now ;D, because if he's as good as he's been described on various sites, we're not getting him, so don't get your hopes up.  Sigh.  In the meantime, like Yoki said, let's get Hassan Whiteside, pair him with a great big man coach, and let's see what happens.  We have absolutely nothing to lose.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 07:50:06 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Aside from his defensive ability, I don't think that the Unibrow has many skills, honestly.  His game is based mostly based on athleticism right now, but maybe I'm wrong.  Isn't he supposed to be a pretty good passer?  He compares favorably to Marcus Camby, as many alluded to when he came out of college, but I don't think he's a superstar.  Yet.

As for Okafor, I suggest that everyone turns of their TVs right now ;D, because if he's as good as he's been described on various sites, we're not getting him, so don't get your hopes up.  Sigh.  In the meantime, like Yoki said, let's get Hassan Whiteside, pair him with a great big man coach, and let's see what happens.  We have absolutely nothing to lose.

Unibrow is averaging 25 points on 58% shooting right now.  Camby never did anything like that.  The guy is pretty awesome.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 08:07:23 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

What?!

Not sure if you've been paying attention this season, but Davis is averaging the following:

PPG- 25.2
RPG- 11.7
APG- 2.2
BPG- 4.0
SPG- 2.3
FG%- 57.9
FT%- 76.8
PER- 37.0

Those aren't Camby numbers, those are prime KG and Duncan numbers. The scary part is that he's still only 21.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

What?!

Not sure if you've been paying attention this season, but Davis is averaging the following:

PPG- 25.2
RPG- 11.7
APG- 2.2
BPG- 4.0
SPG- 2.3
FG%- 57.9
FT%- 76.8
PER- 37.0

Those aren't Camby numbers, those are prime KG and Duncan numbers. The scary part is that he's still only 21.

All right, you got me ;D.  I guess that I haven't been paying attention to the Pelicans, lol.  My whole thing with this guy is that people on here called him a superstar and lauded his 40 point or so effort in beating us last year, and yet, when I watched the highlights, all I saw were dunks and put-backs, so it doesn't seem like he has any real skill at the minute.  You can get the same results from watching Hassan Whiteside's 30 point game the other night haha.  I just don't get all of the hype surrounding this dude.  Can anyone explain it to me?  Who is he being compared to, etc?

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 08:25:34 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Anthony Davis has been compared to KG since college. He has tons of skill. Great athleticism, hands, and timing on defense. He can shoot and handle really well for a big man.

Best power forward in the nba already.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 08:27:05 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Meanwhile i wonder if a Okafor is better suited to play old school power forward instead of center.

If he does play center, he's gonna need a fast big man along side him.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 08:31:30 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Anthony Davis has been compared to KG since college. He has tons of skill. Great athleticism, hands, and timing on defense. He can shoot and handle really well for a big man.

Okay, but does he have any post moves, because right now he sounds like a more athletic and offensively-gifted version of Joakim Noah as opposed to KG, quite honestly.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 08:51:35 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

Okay, but does he have any post moves, because right now he sounds like a more athletic and offensively-gifted version of Joakim Noah as opposed to KG, quite honestly.

I don't remember KG having much of a post game in his first few years. Plus sadly the low post game keeps drifting away from big men in favor of jump shots.  :(
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:01:48 PM by Mr October »

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 09:02:42 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
Okafor has great hands and body control. Looks like a nice number one pick.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 09:05:10 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
Okafor has great hands and body control. Looks like a nice number one pick.

I agree and agree with your assessment that he looks more like an NBA PF.