Author Topic: Banta-Cain Released  (Read 14285 times)

Re: Banta-Cain Released
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 09:56:44 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I believe something is in the
I wonder if the trade deadline has anything to do with Adalius Thomas being inactive on Sunday.

Yeah, I think something is in the works involving Thomas.

I dunno, its seems like nothing ever happens at the trade deadline in the NFL.  But I know the ravens are interested in Galloway so that could be something.  But it seems like with Adalius not playing last week, and Banta Cain getting cut yesterday, although he expects to be back, that something is brewing. 

Yeah, that's the thing. The NFL trade deadline is only slightly more exciting than the MLS trade deadline. I'm trying not to get myself worked up for 4pm.

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 10:31:54 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300

Tully Banta-Cain Says He Expects to Rejoin Patriots

http://www.nesn.com/2009/10/tully-bantacain-says-he-expects-to-rejoin-patriots.html

Linebacker Tully Banta-Cain was cut by the Patriots on Monday, but the 29-year-old said he expects to rejoin the team.

Banta-Cain appeared on a radio show and was asked if he was cut.

"Yeah, I don’t know," he said, according to the Boston Herald. "There’s some stuff going on in terms of the roster. I got to see what’s up with that situation."

Banta-Cain said that the move was made with the understanding that he'd be back, and he used the words "we" and "us" when discussing the Patriots.

I was just going to comment on this thread about how this move made no sense considering Banta-Cain is the only halfway-decent threat off the edge right now in terms of pass rushing.

Seems like something (be it big or small) is definitely in the works here.  You don't just cut your best pass-rusher mid-week unless you plan to do some significant tinkering with the roster.  Gotta think this is about more then shuffling practice-squad guys....

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 10:35:42 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Well there is also the fact of guys like Brandon Tate being able to come off the PUP list.  So who knows.  Lot of roster stuff going on.  Good to see the beat writers are providing us with some answers though.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 10:39:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't trust BB as much as I used to. He has really blown a lot of top picks lately, but I have to think that they must be really confident doing this.

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 10:42:08 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Well there is also the fact of guys like Brandon Tate being able to come off the PUP list.  So who knows.  Lot of roster stuff going on.  Good to see the beat writers are providing us with some answers though.

the thing with the pup list is that he doesnt need to be added to the active roster right away.  If the Pats have been conforming to the rules, he hasnt practiced with the team.  the can get a 3 week window (or anytime less than 3 weeks) to have him practice with the team, but not count against the active roster.  It would be a surprise to see a PUP guy activated off of the PUP and placed immediately on the active roster.

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 10:47:19 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Reason for cutting TBC -

It sounds like the Patriots plan to be adding someone to the roster, and that they didn't want to cut a non-vested veteran, who would have been subject to waivers.  Likewise, if they'd waited until after the trade deadline to dump Banta-Cain, he would have been required to pass through waivers, and he might have been claimed by the Chiefs, whose G.M. drafted Banta-Cain in 2003 when working as New England's V.P. of player personnel.

But, still, it's unclear why the Patriots needed to clear a roster spot the day before the trade deadline, and why they'd have an extra spot available for Banta-Cain once the dust settles.

It could be that they're potentially trying to add a player via a trade, and also trying to work a deal that would send another player (like Joey Galloway) to a new team. 

If/when they pull off one of more deals that result in no net increase to the roster, they can bring back Banta-Cain.  If they add a player via trade but can't work out a deal for Galloway, they can re-sign Banta-Cain and then cut Galloway.

So why would a team like the Ravens trade for Galloway if he's going to be cut?  If the Pats dump Galloway after today, he'll have to pass through waivers, which means he could be claimed by any team occupying a spot higher on the pecking order than Baltimore.

So they cut him in such a way to avoid losing him to waivers...

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 10:50:29 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
So you can cut a player before the trade deadline and they don't have to go thru waivers and you can resign them? Weird.

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 11:12:59 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
So you can cut a player before the trade deadline and they don't have to go thru waivers and you can resign them? Weird.
'

but note the distinction between vested and non vested veterans.

as noted in the other thread, the Pats have also released Eric Alexander and Michael Mathews.  Alexander is expected to resign
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:30:57 AM by yall hate »

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 11:34:11 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I don't trust BB as much as I used to. He has really blown a lot of top picks lately, but I have to think that they must be really confident doing this.

You are thinking of 2006 and Maroney, I assume.  Because other than that, in recent years BB has been really good on draft day, IMHO:

First Round Picks:
'04: Vince Wilfork, Ben Watson
'05: Logan Mankins
'07: Brandon Merriweather
'08: Mayo
'09: No first rounder picked (and too early to tell, anyway)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 11:44:04 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

You are thinking of 2006 and Maroney, I assume.  Because other than that, in recent years BB has been really good on draft day, IMHO:

First Round Picks:

Yeah, he really has hit on the majority of his first round picks.  Unfortunately, he has been pretty terrible in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in the last few years. 

When you consider that Ellis Hobbs may be the best of the bunch, it certainly is not something worth bragging about.

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 11:53:03 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

First Round Picks:

No. Not exactly. I said "top picks"

Bb just used to do better is all. For example he picked Koppen in the 5th and he started from day one. This year he picked Volmer in the 2nd and he isn't starting. he traded up for Ohlberg in the 4th and he sits the bench. And Bussey (5th I think) is on the practice squad. And this despite the offensive line not exactly lighting it up.

He picked 2 TEs in the 1rst round two years in a row and neither did much. He also picked one in the 3rd and he doesn't do anything

Kevin O'Connell was picked in the 3rd and cut after a year.

Yes there's maroney and Merriwether took a while to help

Wheatley in the 2nd round last year is barely on the team

Ron Brace in the 2nd hasn't played almost at all this year

Crable (3rd i think) has done nothing in two years

Patrick Chung in the 2nd (and our first overall this year) this year is firmly behind Sanders and McGowen

Whilhite in the 4th is ok considering. I guess he has the potential to get where Sanders is in a few years.

I'm just saying he either got lucky for a long time with pro bowlers like Samuels in the 4th and never was that good, which would explain why he's having a hard time lately, or he really is good and has made a bunch of mistakes lately

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 11:55:42 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

First Round Picks:

Bb just used to do better is all. For example he picked Koppen in the 5th and he started from day one. This year he picked Volmer in the 2nd and he isn't starting. he traded up for Ohlberg in the 4th and he sits the bench. And Bussey (5th I think) is on the practice squad. And this despite the offensive line not exactly lighting it up.

He picked 2 TEs in the 1rst round two years in a row and neither did much. He also picked one in the 3rd and he doesn't do anything

Patrick Chung in the 2nd (and our first overall this year) this year is firmly behind Sanders and McGowen

Whilhite in the 4th is ok considering. I guess he has the potential to get where Sanders is in a few years.

I'm just saying he either got lucky for a long time with pro bowlers like Samuels in the 4th and never was that good, which would explain why he's having a hard time lately, or he really is good and has made a bunch of mistakes lately

it is way to early to analyze any of the guys from this year.  that is a prodcut of having a complex system that is filled with Vets (we have the oldest team by avg in the nfl).

The pats stastically still do better than most teams when it comes to drafting players.

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 11:56:24 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

First Round Picks:

While I agree with the premise, I think you are both expecting way too much from 4th and 5th rounders, and also expecting way too quick of a turnaround on draft picks from this year.

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 11:58:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

First Round Picks:

Way too quick to judge the rookies. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 12:06:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

First Round Picks:

While I agree with the premise, I think you are both expecting way too much from 4th and 5th rounders, and also expecting way too quick of a turnaround on draft picks from this year.

Well wait a second. yes and no.  It's not too early to judge some of the young guys when they are going against other young guys. For example. Wheatley. 2nd rounder. I'm not judging him harshly as a bad pick when another young guy (Whilhite) taken later in the same draft beats him out.
I don't think I'm being harsh on Crable to say he's done nothing but get hurt. You can't tell me they don't wish they had that pick back.
I'm not asking Volmer to beat out a Pro Bowler like Light. I'm asking him to beat out Kaczur who isn't that great and is also young. Maybe by the end of the year he will, but I don't think it's asking too much of a 2nd rounder to beat out a young guy who is struggling
I'm not being unfair to Brace who doesn't see the field when our 6th rounder (Pryor) does.
I'm not being unfair to K O'Connel when he gets beat out by a younger undrafted kid (Hoyer)
I'm not going to complain about T MacKenzie who got hurt. Not yet. You can't predict injury
I'm fine waiting on Butler and Chung for now
I'm even fine on Ohlberg for a year until the free agency situation with Mankins and Neal clears up

But it's not asking too much for 1rst and 2nd rounders picked at positions of need to play and play reasonably well..like Butler.