Author Topic: Cam Newton returns - Schefter and The Globe  (Read 11503 times)

Re: Cam Newton returns - Schefter and The Globe
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2021, 01:29:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
How likely are they to draft a QB who will be suited to the offense they're going to try to run with Cam under center?

Why spend another year trying to acclimate your players to a system designed for Cam Newton if that's not how your team is going to play when Cam is not the QB anymore?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2021, 01:30:46 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Patriots are expected to re-sign QB Cam Newton to a one-year deal, as The Boston Globe reported. It is a 1-year deal worth up to $14 million for Newton to return to New England, per source.

Ugh

It's not baddd

One could argue the Pats didn't provide him enough tools to do better

At the 15th pick,  my guess is Bill will pick either Trey Lance or Mac Jones.  If both are already chosen and no other top QB slips... trade the 15 to Jac (ideal) for multiple picks down the draft and takes Kyle Trask.

It was actually reported that Bill was a no show at Trey Lances pro-day today which is pretty telling if you ask me.

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2021, 01:34:00 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think, this is an insurance policy, one to help lure WR's in free agency.  Now they have a name in the QB spot, but will also mentor a draft pick.  I think they're looking at the Newman, Mond, and Mills.

How on earth is signing Cam Newton going to entice FA WR’s? Newton can’t hit a stationary target with a pass. He literally sails passes 5 yards over his receivers heads and on screen passes consistently throws the ball into the ground. He’s a great athlete, but a terrible QB.

Try to recruit a Galloday, he's not coming if only Stid is on the roster.  One thing Cam was able to do, throw a deep ball, so if you're hoping to extend the field, then signing him was a decent option to attract a WR.  This might not be the only QB, and I'm not a fan of the move, but I think I get it.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2021, 01:35:58 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
How likely are they to draft a QB who will be suited to the offense they're going to try to run with Cam under center?

Why spend another year trying to acclimate your players to a system designed for Cam Newton if that's not how your team is going to play when Cam is not the QB anymore?

They don't have a static offense.  They adapt and evolve. Always have.  Some more successful than others but its never been a set system.

Hell, they probably had at least 4 distinct, different offenses just when Brady was QB.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2021, 01:40:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Patriots are expected to re-sign QB Cam Newton to a one-year deal, as The Boston Globe reported. It is a 1-year deal worth up to $14 million for Newton to return to New England, per source.

Ugh

It's not baddd

At the 15th pick,  my guess is Bill will pick either Trey Lance or Mac Jones.  If both are already chosen and no other top QB slips... trade the 15 to Jac (ideal) for multiple picks down the draft and takes Kyle Trask.

It was actually reported that Bill was a no show at Trey Lances pro-day today which is pretty telling if you ask me.

Oh really?

maybe its a smokescreen

My guess is that the Pats like Mac Jones.  Due to preparation .  77 percent completion was ridiculous

Otherwise perhaps trade down and target Trask.    Both came alive at the SEC championship game.    Trask completion rate and touchdown/interception was ridiculous also.   6'5 is a few inches than Jones. But doesn't throw the ball as nicely/cleanly as Jones.  Its not a tight spiral

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 02:05:28 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2021, 01:47:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

you sure they will design it for Cam?

Imo they are going to design it the way Bill/staff likes it. And Cam will need to adapt. 

Even last season, Cam adapted or tried to .... not the other way around

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2021, 02:10:29 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Ugh

It's not baddd

Oh really?

maybe its a smokescreen

My guess is that the Pats like Mac Jones the best.  Due to preparation .  77 percent completion was ridiculous

Otherwise perhaps trade down and target Trask.    Both came alive at the SEC championship game.    Trask completion rate and touchdown/interception was ridiculous also.   6'5 is a few inches than Jones. But doesn't throw the ball as nicely/cleanly as Jones.  Its not a tight spiral
Came alive at the SEC championship?  Both were in contention for the Heisman for most of the season.  Trask looked terrible in the bowl game but he was missing his top 3 or 4 receiving targets. 

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2021, 02:13:47 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Dolphins fan here.  Love this news.  ;)

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2021, 02:18:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

you sure they will design it for Cam?

Imo they are going to design it the way Bill/staff likes it. And Cam will need to adapt. 

Even last season, Cam adapted or tried to .... not the other way around

If there's one thing I learned from watching Cam Newton last year it's that his ... uh ... particular set of skills .... means that for an offense to function at all with him under center, it will need to be tailored to his exact abilities.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2021, 02:18:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

They don't have a static offense.  They adapt and evolve. Always have.  Some more successful than others but its never been a set system.

Hell, they probably had at least 4 distinct, different offenses just when Brady was QB.

How many offenses can you run with a QB who can't complete short to medium throws with any  consistency?

Adapting is fine and good.  But here's the problem:

1. The Patriots need to restock their talent.

2. The best way to do that is via the draft.

3. Young players need consistency in order to acclimate to the NFL.

4. In order to provide consistency you can't be changing your system / basic gameplan frequently.

5. Therefore, they need to have a solid foundation / framework in which to bring along young players.

6. It doesn't make sense to invest time and resources into building a foundation / infrastructure that's premised on Cam Newton's limitations.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2021, 02:23:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Ugh

It's not baddd

Oh really?

maybe its a smokescreen

My guess is that the Pats like Mac Jones the best.  Due to preparation .  77 percent completion was ridiculous

Came alive at the SEC championship?  Both were in contention for the Heisman for most of the season.  Trask looked terrible in the bowl game but he was missing his top 3 or 4 receiving targets.

I don't mean they were one hit wonders. 

Both were two of the best QBs at the college level last season.  And it was impressive both brought their A games in the sec championship game

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2021, 02:50:34 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Meh. Which pretty much sums up my thinking about the entire Pats team right now. They have no exciting receivers or tight ends, and they have a lot of room for improvement. Granted, Cam had few weapons, but he also threw a lot of balls into the ground at players' feet, sooooo ... yeah, not excited to have him back.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2021, 02:54:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Meh. Which pretty much sums up my thinking about the entire Pats team right now. They have no exciting receivers or tight ends, and they have a lot of room for improvement. Granted, Cam had few weapons, but he also threw a lot of balls into the ground at players' feet, sooooo ... yeah, not excited to have him back.

It's a "meh" team with no apparent plan for becoming more than "meh."
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2021, 03:11:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It's a "meh" team with no apparent plan for becoming more than "meh."
I think you're being a bit over the top in your anger here. We are talking about the greatest coach in NFL history and you are saying you think he has no plan to rebuild this team? Really?

Bill recreated his team every year. It was normal for Bill to bring in 20-30 new players every year yet they still won and won and won. They went through multiple and very different types of offense and defense over the years, built around trying to maximize the strength of their players while hiding their weaknesses.

I don't necessarily love the move. I actually can't stand Cam Newton in any way. But he is a stop gap during a bridge year and if you knew ahead of time this year would be a bridge year, and I think everyone in Patriot Nation does know this, then it really doesn't matter who that stop gap QB on a one year deal would be.

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2021, 03:18:30 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533