Author Topic: Trevor Lawrence might force the Jets not to draft him  (Read 4686 times)

Trevor Lawrence might force the Jets not to draft him
« on: December 17, 2020, 01:30:59 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Apparently Trevor Lawrence keeps in close touch with Archie manning. Lol

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30525441/could-clemson-trevor-lawrence-likely-no-1-nfl-draft-pick-spurn-new-york-jets

There were some people that tried to get Peyton to [force a trade]," Archie told ESPN. "The Colts weren't exactly the epitome of the top franchise in football, you know."

Neither are the New York Jets (0-13), whose sustained losing has sparked a narrative that haunts their downtrodden fan base: What if Lawrence doesn't want to play for the Jets, the current frontrunner for the No. 1 overall pick?

ESPN interviewed five prominent agents and three former general managers, and the overwhelming consensus is Lawrence will turn pro with enough leverage to execute an Eli Manning-type maneuver. Opinions are mixed on whether he will actually try to pull it off.

In other words: It's premature to say the Jets should be sweating, but they might want to keep a handkerchief nearby just in case.

To be clear, the five agents, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, are not associated with Lawrence, who isn't permitted to hire representation until he declares for the draft. (The NFL deadline is mid-January.) Some believe the lure of New York will cause him to look past the franchise's struggles (one winning season since 2010), while others feel the big-city glamour is overblown and that he would be wise to run away from the Jets, who have a poor reputation for developing quarterbacks.

"Would I be hesitant? It would be a stop sign that would be about 100 feet in diameter," one agent said.

A former GM countered, "You're not going to say no to the Jets. You're in a marquee market. Could he do an Eli? I guess he could, but I doubt seriously he would."

Re: Trevor Lawrence might force the Jets not to draft him
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 07:46:57 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I'm not even sure they won't trade the pick anyway.  Darnold has shown flashes and they could get an absolute haul for the pick
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 07:52:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm not even sure they won't trade the pick anyway.  Darnold has shown flashes and they could get an absolute haul for the pick
This would be a wise thing to do.

Which basically guarantees the Jets won’t do it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 11:07:38 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Let's be honest, the main thing this will depend on is how the Jets change the Coaching (and probably front office)

Plus, if they win just one game, they fall to # 2.    Maybe a holiday miracle? 

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 12:29:54 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
As a Jets fan this is the most excitement since the Rex Ryan years! But like always it will end in disappointment. Jets go 1-15 and we catch a glimpse of Adam Gas celebrating is only win.
ok fine

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 12:51:33 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!

I think there's a better chance they flip Darnold and draft Lawrence. Even with how he's looked lately, I don't think Darnold is a bust or a problem on that Jets team. He's basically the punching bag with everything around him being a mess, and he won't be able to develop further there.

Teams like the Bears, Colts, Pats, etc. who need a long term QB likely see the potential in him and wouldn't mind surrendering even a 1st round pick (or more like a 2nd + maybe 2-3 other future mid-round picks) to acquire him. He's still fairly young and as a Pats fan I wouldn't be opposed to it either though I highly doubt the Jets want to trade him in-division lol.

I understand the notion of getting a haul for #1, but there's a reason most teams don't do it. You have to be very convinced Lawrence won't pan out in the NFL. Otherwise if he does and you gave up #1 for some solid players but nothing elite, you won't live it down. Kind of like how the Bears probably won't live down the trade for Trubisky while passing up on guys like Watson and Mahomes.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 01:04:15 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I think there's a better chance they flip Darnold and draft Lawrence. Even with how he's looked lately, I don't think Darnold is a bust or a problem on that Jets team. He's basically the punching bag with everything around him being a mess, and he won't be able to develop further there.

Teams like the Bears, Colts, Pats, etc. who need a long term QB likely see the potential in him and wouldn't mind surrendering even a 1st round pick (or more like a 2nd + maybe 2-3 other future mid-round picks) to acquire him. He's still fairly young and as a Pats fan I wouldn't be opposed to it either though I highly doubt the Jets want to trade him in-division lol.

I understand the notion of getting a haul for #1, but there's a reason most teams don't do it. You have to be very convinced Lawrence won't pan out in the NFL. Otherwise if he does and you gave up #1 for some solid players but nothing elite, you won't live it down. Kind of like how the Bears probably won't live down the trade for Trubisky while passing up on guys like Watson and Mahomes.

Financially, it is better to draft Lawrence and trade Darnold.   Longer rookie scale contract.   

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 01:37:34 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I was rewatching season 10 of Curb Your Enthusiasm (funniest show on TV now) and they had that funny episode about the lifelong Jets fan who after another blunder, finally decided life was too painful to live and they went on to make fun of the poor widowed wife that Larry wants to date because she has a "magical" you know what and Larry is a Jets fan too, and mentions something to her while on a date and she throws him out! She said she suffered brutally being married to a Jets fan and the Jets ruined her marriage- LOL! Great stuff.

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 02:46:05 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I hope Lawrence has a great career, I just don't think he's as good as  Joe Burrow (the injured Bengal QB #1 pick).

As far as the dreaded Jets, they do have to draft him because it is New York and Lawrence "might" be Patrick Mahomes 2.0 and it fills in with my "Lawrence isn't that good" analysis which will work perfectly for the Jets who'll trade Darnold to Belichick and then win 13 games while Lawrence goes 7 and 9 with the Jets "but is improving."

Kind of like my first wife..."[dang]ed if you do and [dang]ed if you don't".

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 02:50:56 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

Financially, it is better to draft Lawrence and trade Darnold.   Longer rookie scale contract.
Not if you only get like a 3rd round pick for Darnold when you can get 2 1st's and a 2nd, if not more, for Lawrence.  I mean, they might even be able to convince the Jags to move up 1 spot and get 2, 26, and a future 2nd or something for him (the Jags have the Rams pick in addition to their own).  They can then take Sewell at 2 (or trade again to someone that wants Fields).  Plus still have all the extra draft capital they get from the trade.

By going from 1 high draft to pick to 3 or more, you fill up more positions financially.  And it isn't like right now they have to pay Darnold the super huge contract, it would certainly cost more, but not so much more than the OL on the rookie contract, the LB, the TE, etc. that you get from the assets you traded Lawrence to acquire.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 02:53:06 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
Just like Sam Darnold the Jets will throw trevor lawrence out there with horrible coaching and a horrible roster and ruin him.

Then in 2-3 years they will draft another qb with the #1 pick

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 03:03:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Not if you only get like a 3rd round pick for Darnold when you can get 2 1st's and a 2nd, if not more, for Lawrence.  I mean, they might even be able to convince the Jags to move up 1 spot and get 2, 26, and a future 2nd or something for him (the Jags have the Rams pick in addition to their own).  They can then take Sewell at 2 (or trade again to someone that wants Fields).  Plus still have all the extra draft capital they get from the trade.

By going from 1 high draft to pick to 3 or more, you fill up more positions financially.  And it isn't like right now they have to pay Darnold the super huge contract, it would certainly cost more, but not so much more than the OL on the rookie contract, the LB, the TE, etc. that you get from the assets you traded Lawrence to acquire.

If they plan to take a QB, then who ever is at their top of their list they take with the 1st.   

Then they take a 3rd for Darnold.

Yeah, most teams will sign up for the QB of their choice and an extra 3rd rounder. 

Plus, if the don't take a QB, they have just told Darnold that he is their franchise QB.   He should be expected to pay that way.   (see Cousins and Dak)

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 03:03:53 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Just like Sam Darnold the Jets will throw trevor lawrence out there with horrible coaching and a horrible roster and ruin him.

Then in 2-3 years they will draft another qb with the #1 pick

LOL, you are probably right. I like the Jets being bad, since they're in New England's division, but it's a sad state of affairs for Jets players and fans.

Regarding the idea of draftees holding out or demanding certain things ... I figure that teams can like or dislike whichever players they want, and they can draft whoever they want, so players should be able to make their desires known as well. Generally speaking, it probably kinda sucks being a top college player (in any sport), because you're probably going to get drafted by a bad team. That's just how it works; that's how it's supposed to work. Situations like the Spurs getting Tim Duncan in '97—because David Robinson missed almost the whole previous season (and the Spurs got a super lucky bounce of the ping-pong balls)—are rare. Perhaps the players should consider themselves fortunate to be so wanted, but I also can't blame them for not wanting to go to crappy franchises.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 03:43:48 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Not for nothing what kind of team does he expect to go to as the #1 pick?
I’d take the Jets before the jaguars or bengals. Or does he expect to have teams just pass on him until one he approves of is on the draft board.

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 04:18:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
QB with his credentials comes along once every 10 years. No way do the Jets trade the pick.