Author Topic: What Were the Pelicans Thinking?  (Read 3866 times)

Re: What Were the Pelicans Thinking?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 08:41:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I get they got a couple of later 1sts and some 2nds for 4, but I think they should have just taken Garland at 4.  I think he has far more upside than Hayes or Alexander-Walker (or Louzada or the future 2nds/late 1st from the Cavs).  He also seemingly fits better with Zion. Now maybe Hayes becomes a monster and it works out for them, but I really do think Garland should have been their pick. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 09:24:41 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I also think Hart and Ingram from the Lakers are going to help out quite a bit on offense.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 11:54:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't understand the Jaxson Hayes pick with Zion already there. They need a skilled center next to Zion. Not just an athlete.

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 12:15:21 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't understand the Jaxson Hayes pick with Zion already there. They need a skilled center next to Zion. Not just an athlete.
Yeah Griffin seems to want to play two traditional bigs, or is counting on Zion more as a perimeter 4 than he should

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 12:25:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I get they got a couple of later 1sts and some 2nds for 4, but I think they should have just taken Garland at 4.  I think he has far more upside than Hayes or Alexander-Walker (or Louzada or the future 2nds/late 1st from the Cavs).  He also seemingly fits better with Zion. Now maybe Hayes becomes a monster and it works out for them, but I really do think Garland should have been their pick.
Gotta agree. The rumblings were Griffin was looking for a potential All-Star from the Lakers instead of another pick, which I think would have been smart. Instead they moved that pick for four more lottery tickets hoping one of 4 players make a huge leap to stardom.

I think what they did was dumb. They should have picked the BPA(whoever they thought it was whether Garland, Hunter or Culver) and then made him available for that piece. Instead, they have a roster that is littered with players with little to no experience and the coaching job to develop them became infinitely more difficult. Now they have NAW, Zion, Hayes, Ball, Ingram, Hart, Bertans, Frank Jackson, Diallo and Louzada-Silva that they need to develop. Good luck getting good W-L records over the next few years with that young a group, though maybe a massive tank job is what Griffin wants.

Re: What were the pelicans thinking?
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 12:54:00 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I don't think they're too worried about shooting and fit. They are not committed long term to any pieces other than Zion/Hayes.

Pelicans are also committed to Holiday.

Several weeks ago they were committed to keeping Anthony Davis.

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 02:34:45 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I don't think they're too worried about shooting and fit. They are not committed long term to any pieces other than Zion/Hayes.

Um, no.  It was more like a hail-mary pass to see if Griff could convince him to stay.

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2019, 08:29:29 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

Um, no.  It was more like a hail-mary pass to see if Griff could convince him to stay.

I’m aware of the fact that they weren’t actually going to keep Davis. My meaning is that GM-Speak is never to be trusted.

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2019, 09:40:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Gotta agree. The rumblings were Griffin was looking for a potential All-Star from the Lakers instead of another pick, which I think would have been smart. Instead they moved that pick for four more lottery tickets hoping one of 4 players make a huge leap to stardom.

I think what they did was dumb. They should have picked the BPA(whoever they thought it was whether Garland, Hunter or Culver) and then made him available for that piece. Instead, they have a roster that is littered with players with little to no experience and the coaching job to develop them became infinitely more difficult. Now they have NAW, Zion, Hayes, Ball, Ingram, Hart, Bertans, Frank Jackson, Diallo and Louzada-Silva that they need to develop. Good luck getting good W-L records over the next few years with that young a group, though maybe a massive tank job is what Griffin wants.
Yeah me too. I made this same point on the previous page.