Author Topic: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (27-34, 10th Slot on 3/2)  (Read 224612 times)

Re: 2017-18 Lakers Season Watch Thread (11-27, 2nd Slot on 1/5)
« Reply #1215 on: January 06, 2018, 04:12:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Will Luke Walton be their coach next season? I think not

I think at least till next Xmas .  Its on his watch , but not so much his fault.   The Lakers have not decided and stuck with a coach and rebuilding strategy and ONE philosophy.   They are constantly fiddle with players and coach .....not building a team with a coach , players and workable strategies that fit .

Lakers refusing to rebuild like all the rest , looking for that knockout FA to vault them back to the finals .....is killing them ......teams and NBA are too smart to just give the Lakers what they want for nothing .....because they are the  Lakers.

Magic should keep Walton and rebuild with young core.  ......But he is from the impatient crowd and will trade everything to have Lebron for 3 good years. 

Im totally skeptical of the Lakers FO and owner .  I don't think they have a clue.

« Reply #1216 on: January 06, 2018, 04:12:33 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Nance is listed as questionable for tomorrow's Hawks game with flu-like symptoms.

Up until Ball went out with that injury...everyone here was resigned to our pick not conveying this year because the Lakers were playing and competing better than any of us expected.

Not true. Quite a few here have remained optimistic throughout. If Hawks win tomorrow, the Lakers will match or be worse than saltlover's November prediction of 13-28 at the halfway point.

« Reply #1217 on: January 06, 2018, 04:23:57 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Lakers pick conveying this year would be the only thing that would keep me sane when the inevitable happens.  The inevitable is that the Lakers will attract superstars and be a contender within the next 3 years.  Note that of the recent "Tankers", the Lakers have fared extremely well in terms of lottery (7,2,2,2) and have picked well with some later picks (Clarkson; Kuzma; Hart)... but what they have would be next to nothing 5 years from now if not for the only asset that really matters in Laker-land -- cap space.   This is the only team in the NBA that can reliably contend in every NBA "generation" because they really only need to draft reasonably well and clear space for their next set of superstars.   I am bitter because the C's, and every other team, has to prove themselves a winner before anyone considers them a FA destination of choice.  I know Miami and NY have their allure to FAs, but really it's the Lakers who are mentioned as a possible destination by just about everyone entering free agency. And this happens even as the Lakers suck.  I hate the Lakers. 

So when PG and LBJ make their lip-biting emotional good-byes and join forces to turn LAL into a contender next season, my only solace would be in knowing they handed us #2, 3, 4 or 5.   I doubt it will happen, but yearning for it.

« Reply #1218 on: January 06, 2018, 04:29:53 PM »

Offline Kevins Gamble

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Nance is listed as questionable for tomorrow's Hawks game with flu-like symptoms.

Up until Ball went out with that injury...everyone here was resigned to our pick not conveying this year because the Lakers were playing and competing better than any of us expected.

Not true. Quite a few here have remained optimistic throughout. If Hawks win tomorrow, the Lakers will match or be worse than saltlover's November prediction of 13-28 at the halfway point.

Heh...so it took a (1-loss shy of) historically long Laker losing streak to get them to match your original loss expectation...so in other words, before the streak started...they were "playing and competing better than any of us expected".
"AAAAAHAHAAAAHHAAA....take that with your beard....AAAAHHHHAAHHHAAHHAAH..YAAAHHHAHAHAH!!!"
- Cedric Maxwell, Esq

« Reply #1219 on: January 06, 2018, 04:29:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Lakers pick conveying this year would be the only thing that would keep me sane when the inevitable happens.  The inevitable is that the Lakers will attract superstars and be a contender within the next 3 years.  Note that of the recent "Tankers", the Lakers have fared extremely well in terms of lottery (7,2,2,2) and have picked well with some later picks (Clarkson; Kuzma; Hart)... but what they have would be next to nothing 5 years from now if not for the only asset that really matters in Laker-land -- cap space.   This is the only team in the NBA that can reliably contend in every NBA "generation" because they really only need to draft reasonably well and clear space for their next set of superstars.   I am bitter because the C's, and every other team, has to prove themselves a winner before anyone considers them a FA destination of choice.  I know Miami and NY have their allure to FAs, but really it's the Lakers who are mentioned as a possible destination by just about everyone entering free agency. And this happens even as the Lakers suck.  I hate the Lakers. 

So when PG and LBJ make their lip-biting emotional good-byes and join forces to turn LAL into a contender next season, my only solace would be in knowing they handed us #2, 3, 4 or 5.   I doubt it will happen, but yearning for it.

If Lebron doesn't go there, they are probably stuck in bad to mediocre for many years to come.  Much will depend on his decision this off season.  Still see him staying in the East, or maybe joining Houston. 

« Reply #1220 on: January 06, 2018, 04:32:04 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Heh...so it took a (1-loss shy of) historically long Laker losing streak to get them to match your original loss expectation...so in other words, before the streak started...they were "playing and competing better than any of us expected".

No. There's room to spare, they'll be 11-28 if Hawks win tomorrow and would have to win two consecutive games to match the 13-28. If we look back at the December gauntlet predictions, most predicted almost all the December games to be likely losses.

The early schedule was easier than the December schedule. The Lakers started out 10-10 last year. Even when they won early on this season, there were numerous people here not panicking with the schedule balancing out.

They also had one November loss each to the Kings, Clippers and Suns.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:40:14 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #1221 on: January 07, 2018, 12:47:34 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Kings win getting more separation from the lakers 

« Reply #1222 on: January 07, 2018, 01:04:08 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Lakers waved Bogut.

« Reply #1224 on: January 07, 2018, 05:40:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Rooting hard for Atlanta tonight!

« Reply #1225 on: January 07, 2018, 06:13:16 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Rooting hard for Atlanta tonight!

Me too. It will be hilarious to hear what comes out of LA if they lose against Atlanta tonight, which would either tie or best their franchise record for losing streaks.

« Reply #1226 on: January 07, 2018, 06:18:34 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Celtics fan super bowl is tonight

I call it “the biggest loser bowl”

Whoever loses will have consequences never before seen in the nba.... like handing over a top 5 lotto pick to the winningest team currently in the nba. Lol

Who would have thought Hawks vs Lakers in January would be one of if not the most anticipated  games for Celtics fans this season?

« Reply #1227 on: January 07, 2018, 06:24:15 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Lakers will win tonight, sadly. 😤
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #1228 on: January 07, 2018, 06:31:09 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

With apologies to Steve Harvey, I'd call it the "Crummy Game of the Week"

« Reply #1229 on: January 07, 2018, 07:05:37 PM »

Offline Kevins Gamble

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21

Whoever loses will have consequences never before seen in the nba.... like handing over a top 5 lotto pick to the winningest team currently in the nba. Lol

Who would have thought Hawks vs Lakers in January would be one of if not the most anticipated  games for Celtics fans this season?

Yeah, I found myself typing "Hawks vs Lakers" into my calendar earlier this week and had to pause and reflect that this is where my life has ended up...

It's still on my calendar though...
"AAAAAHAHAAAAHHAAA....take that with your beard....AAAAHHHHAAHHHAAHHAAH..YAAAHHHAHAHAH!!!"
- Cedric Maxwell, Esq