Author Topic: NBCS Boston Layoffs / Abby & A-Sherrod Included (merged)  (Read 15817 times)

Re: NBCS Boston Lay-offs
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2020, 11:11:28 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Hope for the best for all these people, but Abby in particular.
Abby has talent. She'll land on her feet somewhere.  One of the local stations should make her their lead sports person but she may wind up on a national network.
I think the only 2 moves that would have been criticized more than their canning Abby is if they let Mike or Tommy go.

Honesty I liked Abby quite a bit more than Tommy, maybe thats an unpopular opinion.
How dare you

Where's that negative Tommy Point button?

Tommy has a legend status.  It's been years since he was a reliable source of great insight, but he gets to keep doing what he's doing for as long as it brings him joy and he's somewhat presentable.  As it should be.

On a side note, I've noticed an uncharacteristic amount of small errors from Mike Gorman (the amount of a lead for example, who a foul was on etc...).  I think this is probably due to to doing the broadcasts remotely, but it's still weird to hear so much of it from Gorman.  We have been spoiled by his awesomeness for so long.

Tommy's a legend no doubt, but in terms of who actually does their current job better I thought Abby did. Doesn't really matter what I think tho, Tommy is gonna have that job as long as he wants it.

I would have preferred they kept everyone.

Re: NBCS Boston Lay-offs
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2020, 12:34:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hope for the best for all these people, but Abby in particular.
Abby has talent. She'll land on her feet somewhere.  One of the local stations should make her their lead sports person but she may wind up on a national network.
I think the only 2 moves that would have been criticized more than their canning Abby is if they let Mike or Tommy go.

Honesty I liked Abby quite a bit more than Tommy, maybe thats an unpopular opinion.
How dare you

Where's that negative Tommy Point button?

Tommy has a legend status.  It's been years since he was a reliable source of great insight, but he gets to keep doing what he's doing for as long as it brings him joy and he's somewhat presentable.  As it should be.

On a side note, I've noticed an uncharacteristic amount of small errors from Mike Gorman (the amount of a lead for example, who a foul was on etc...).  I think this is probably due to to doing the broadcasts remotely, but it's still weird to hear so much of it from Gorman.  We have been spoiled by his awesomeness for so long.

Tommy's a legend no doubt, but in terms of who actually does their current job better I thought Abby did. Doesn't really matter what I think tho, Tommy is gonna have that job as long as he wants it.

I would have preferred they kept everyone.

Tommy leaves on his terms.  He is one of the greatest.  Sure is a big time homer but its fun to listen to

Re: NBCS Boston Layoffs / Abby & A-Sherrod Included (merged)
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2020, 12:40:27 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Abby Chin
@tvabby
·
5m
But, this isn’t goodbye just yet. When I received the news, I was offered the choice to finish out the season and I’m taking it! I’m not ready for this incredible ride to be over. I’ll see you tonight. Go #Celtics!

If the Cs let Abby escape and we see her on a Laker or Philly or Miami sideline...I will be pixxed.

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2020, 12:45:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Abby Chin
@tvabby
·
5m
But, this isn’t goodbye just yet. When I received the news, I was offered the choice to finish out the season and I’m taking it! I’m not ready for this incredible ride to be over. I’ll see you tonight. Go #Celtics!

If the Cs let Abby escape and we see her on a Laker or Philly or Miami sideline...I will be pixxed.

its not up to the Cs.  Its NBC that can't afford to keep everyone (covid19)

The argument right now is why they kept x vs y?

They could have let a few of the Patriots media personnel go or temporary layoff. 

It is horrible timing to cut Abby Chin after the 2nd part of the season is just warming up. It's kind of cruel actually

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2020, 04:54:07 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Abby Chin
@tvabby
·
5m

its not up to the Cs.  Its NBC that can't afford to keep everyone (covid19)

The argument right now is why they kept x vs y?

They could have let a few of the Patriots media personnel go or temporary layoff. 

It is horrible timing to cut Abby Chin after the 2nd part of the season is just warming up. It's kind of cruel actually

I’m guessing some bean counter at NBC Universal in NYC looked at their payroll list and just picked some names and positions without regard for the popularity or lack thereof of the individuals picked. Otherwise they would never have got rid of Abby, they would have found another role for her if they didn’t need a sideline reporter.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D