Author Topic: Scenario: Tatum or Brown+Smart  (Read 4689 times)

Scenario: Tatum or Brown+Smart
« on: May 26, 2019, 01:53:05 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Let’s paint a picture:

You’re DA. Kyrie is still on vacation and no one in his team is in the mood to discuss anything anytime before July. Sources tell you though that KD is likely to leave GSW.

*brrrrrriiing*

While eating a salad, your phone rings and you find out NOP is inclined to move on from AD and go young. You call up David Griffin who pretty much says that he’s moving to build around Zion and wants both Tatum and Brown for AD. You say no and after some negotiation, the asking price has lowered to either Tatum, filler, and picks or Brown+Smart, filler, and some picks.

Griffin doesn’t want this nego to extend further in the offseason to avoid his franchise being dragged thru a media circus and you get the sense that if you drag this into July, his asking price will probably go up.

Which deal do you make, in principle?
- LilRip

Re: Scenario: Tatum or Brown+Smart
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 02:19:32 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Doesn't matter to me

Just get me Davis

you could leave me with yabusele  and id still be a happy man

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 05:15:11 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Tatum has more value than Smart + Brown

Tatum has superstar potential.

Brown has fringe star potential.

Smart is a career role player.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 05:51:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think if Tatum has superstar potential then Brown has legit star potential
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 06:07:25 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If we will have Irving and Davis, I think Brown and Smart are a better fit.  Tatum is a little redundant as another scorer who doesn't seem interested in some of the other stuff that helps a team.  Brown and Smart love defense and enjoy aspects of the game that don't involve scoring.  Also- nobody thinks Tatum will be a superstar anymore.  Allstar, sure.  But Brown could reach that level as well- with more defense and team first stuff.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 09:04:09 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

So you’d trade Brown and Smart? Would you still go after Kyrie with Davis, Horford, Hayward and Tatum?
- LilRip

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 09:27:31 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

So you’d trade Brown and Smart? Would you still go after Kyrie with Davis, Horford, Hayward and Tatum?

Kyrie is a given under any circumstance. He is a 2nd All-NBA Team star in his prime - you sign him to a max even if you absolutely hate him. He is much better than our other two max players.

I assume what LB is saying is that if NOP views Brown and Tatum equally, that is awesome. You trade Brown and Smart (plus whatever) for AD and you still have your number one asset to either build around or trade. I love JB - he is probably my current favorite Celtic - but even I realize that Tatum has more value, not even including the extra year left on his rookie contract.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 09:55:49 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
If we will have Irving and Davis, I think Brown and Smart are a better fit.  Tatum is a little redundant as another scorer who doesn't seem interested in some of the other stuff that helps a team.  Brown and Smart love defense and enjoy aspects of the game that don't involve scoring.  Also- nobody thinks Tatum will be a superstar anymore.  Allstar, sure.  But Brown could reach that level as well- with more defense and team first stuff.

If the last year taught us anything it is that team construction matters. It’s not just a matter of putting together the best available talent and hoping it all works out.

Kyrie and Davis will be high usage players. Smart can handle the ball, make up for KI’s defensive shortcomings, and be content. Hayward and Brown work next to them as shooters and secondary creators on the first unit and primary creators on the second unit.

Resign Baynes and Mook, try for Beverly as an MLE guy. At the end of the game you’ll be able to throw out an elite defensive team that can match up with anybody and still have enough scoring.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:03:11 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 10:09:28 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Since conventional wisdom is that Tatum is more valuable and that my personal opinion is that this is wrong and that Brown is more valuable, this is a very easy call for me. I've always thought Tatum was overrated, and Brown was underrated. It would be a huge score to get AD with Tatum as the main piece. If we keep Brown, I'll be thrilled, and if we keep Smart too, its a home run.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 10:24:35 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
It's hard to see how NO goes for that trade without Smart in the deal. I think it is also hard to make the money work without Smart's contract in the deal is is not?

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 10:52:26 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think it is jt and ms or jb and ms. Unless you go it and jb and reduce number of picks I think 2 of the 3 will basically have to be in there for matching. If ki is back I move jt

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 11:25:51 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Tatum to me has always been overrated and I’d gladly let him go.  Brown has always been underrated. Seeing him in the Summer league the 2nd year and in the rising star challenge shows me what he’s capable of when he gets comfortable. As he ages his actions will become more mature and he will be a star, I can just see it.

Smart to me is a glue guy and those are NOT the players you get rid of. It reminds me of when we got rid of Perkins. I also feel like Golden State would crumble if they let go of Green. Not only is Smart the Glue guy he also is the definition of a true Celtic and true Celtics are guys who put it all on the line in order to win because of the Jersey they wear. The other True Celtics right now are; Horford, Brown, Baynes, and maybe Morris.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 11:55:49 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I'm buying Jayson his ticket to New Orleans as fast as possible. Heck, I'd even throw in a few frequent flyer miles so that he can get upgraded.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 12:16:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Tatum to me has always been overrated and I’d gladly let him go.  Brown has always been underrated. Seeing him in the Summer league the 2nd year and in the rising star challenge shows me what he’s capable of when he gets comfortable. As he ages his actions will become more mature and he will be a star, I can just see it.

Smart to me is a glue guy and those are NOT the players you get rid of. It reminds me of when we got rid of Perkins. I also feel like Golden State would crumble if they let go of Green. Not only is Smart the Glue guy he also is the definition of a true Celtic and true Celtics are guys who put it all on the line in order to win because of the Jersey they wear. The other True Celtics right now are; Horford, Brown, Baynes, and maybe Morris.

Maybe this is just me, but I think that Marcus Smart would put it all on the line regardless of the jersey he wears. People in Boston just seem to like blue collar players, despite it being one of the least blue collar cities in the NBA. Southie and Dot are not the Southie and Dot of yesteryear.

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 12:26:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think it's going to be possible to keep Smart out of a deal for AD.  Under the hypothetical, though, I think you keep Brown and Smart.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes