Author Topic: [Mannix] Boston has been "aggressive" in trade talks for a top 10 pick.  (Read 9345 times)

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
If Boston offers you a couple good, young players and a bunch of draft picks including one or two that seem like locks for the top 10 themselves, which helps your rebuild more?

What you're proposing is that Sacramento does exactly what they've been doing for the past decade and settle on middling prospects and mediocre picks. Not likely to happen.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
How about being aggressive for Boogie Cousins?  Empty out the coffers, Danny.  8)

Absolutely this.

Why would we need an athletic wing when we vcan just resign Jae Crowder? I also heard from Chad Ford on the ESPN NBA Podcast that he was disappointed in Johnson athletically, as he was not the athlete everyone thought he will be coming out if high school.

If Danny will move the picks for the earlier pick, target top 6. Be in position for Winslow, Hezonja or even Mudiay. Otherwise, use it for Boogie.

So we give up half the team, picks and hope cousins gets us into the playoffs, and past the 2nd round,when he has not been even able to carry the kings into the playoffs  once yet?

YES!

Yes we do.

Cousins is a franchise player and absolutely someone you trade for at all costs and build a team around.

Like with KLove in Minny, Sacramento's lack of success has a lot less to do with Cousins and a lot more with the team's inept players and front office management.

How can a so called franchise calibre player, never make the playoffs in 5 years in the league? This is a joke right?

He played all 5 years in the western conference, that's how.

Anthony Davis makes no excuse

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
How about being aggressive for Boogie Cousins?  Empty out the coffers, Danny.  8)

Sounds like doing that would require competing with a package centered around the #2 pick.

Celts can't hope to do that.

Other than the number 2 pick, The Lakers don't have much to offer the Kings.

#2, Randle and Clarkson sounds pretty darn good to me. Not ideal but it would give Sacramento some niece pieces to go along with #7. Its much better than anything the Celtics can offer.

Randle barely played a game before getting hurt and It's soon to tell whether or nor Clarkson is the best player on an awful team.

But Randle was a hot prospect before he got hurt. He was up there with Embiid, Parker and Wiggins as the top talent of the 2014 draft.

I agree about Clarkson but I don't think anything will stop Randle from being a darn good player in the league. Unless of course, the injuries persist.

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Sounds like doing that would require competing with a package centered around the #2 pick.

#2, Randle and Clarkson sounds pretty darn good to me. Not ideal but it would give Sacramento some niece pieces to go along with #7. Its much better than anything the Celtics can offer.

Randle barely played a game before getting hurt and It's soon to tell whether or nor Clarkson is the best player on an awful team.

But Randle was a hot prospect before he got hurt. He was up there with Embiid, Parker and Wiggins as the top talent of the 2014 draft.

I agree about Clarkson but I don't think anything will stop Randle from being a darn good player in the league. Unless of course, the injuries persist.

What? Who had him up there??
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

SI pegged him up there before the college season started in 2013. His stock fell a tad but plenty still thought he was going to be an offensive terror going into the draft. I'm pretty sure the Celtics would have given him a deeper look if not for KO and Sully already filling the 4.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Boston offers you a couple good, young players and a bunch of draft picks including one or two that seem like locks for the top 10 themselves, which helps your rebuild more?

Well, if I'm a competent GM who knows anything about how good teams in the NBA are constructed, I go with the package that offers one or two substantial assets with star upside, rather than the pu pu platter.

Not to mention that there isn't a single pick in the Celtics' trove that "looks like a lock for the top 10" and the "good, young players" you're talking about could also fairly be described as "cost controlled role players with limited upside."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

SI pegged him up there before the college season started in 2013. His stock fell a tad but plenty still thought he was going to be an offensive terror going into the draft. I'm pretty sure the Celtics would have given him a deeper look if not for KO and Sully already filling the 4.
Actually, the problem with randle was his defense, or rather, his lack of it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Well, if I'm a competent GM who knows anything about how good teams in the NBA are constructed, I go with the package that offers one or two substantial assets with star upside, rather than the pu pu platter.

Not to mention that there isn't a single pick in the Celtics' trove that "looks like a lock for the top 10" and the "good, young players" you're talking about could also fairly be described as "cost controlled role players with limited upside."

Exactly, TP.

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

LOL if DA thought he was in the conversation of Wiggins/Parker he would have taken him at 6, no question! Sully and/or Olynyk stops NO TEAM from taking a Wiggins/Parker level talent. A lot of players are ranked really high before college and few meet that hype.

I'm not saying he can't turn out to be special, later picks have before, but what you are saying doesn't ring true. He was not valued on their level before his injury, if he was he would have been snatched up b4 the 7th pick. He could turn out to be a huge steal but that has nothing to do with how he was valued, just look at Paul Pierce.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

The Celtics do have good young players with upside. I'm sorry, a high draft pick won't alone will not convince a GM to give up their star player. They're usually looking for a treasure trove along with a top pick or player.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Going into the draft he was critiqued pretty hard due to his 6'11" wingspan at 6'9". For perspective, Bass has a 7'2.5" wingspan.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

1.  At least one of the Brooklyn picks looks like a good bet for the top 10.

2.  Sully, KO and Smart are all good, young players.

Mike

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

The Celtics do have good young players with upside. I'm sorry, a high draft pick won't alone will not convince a GM to give up their star player. They're usually looking for a treasure trove along with a top pick or player.
Timberwolves traded Love for Wiggins and Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I agree. I think the only real asset we have, at this point, is Smart. And I highly doubt we would be willing to part with him at this point, so I would be surprised if we get into the top 10. That may not be a popular stance to take here, but I think it's probably true. I do hope we can slide up a few spots though if someone drops that we're coveting.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

Absolutely this.

Why would we need an athletic wing when we vcan just resign Jae Crowder? I also heard from Chad Ford on the ESPN NBA Podcast that he was disappointed in Johnson athletically, as he was not the athlete everyone thought he will be coming out if high school.

If Danny will move the picks for the earlier pick, target top 6. Be in position for Winslow, Hezonja or even Mudiay. Otherwise, use it for Boogie.

So we give up half the team, picks and hope cousins gets us into the playoffs, and past the 2nd round,when he has not been even able to carry the kings into the playoffs  once yet?

YES!

Yes we do.

Cousins is a franchise player and absolutely someone you trade for at all costs and build a team around.

Like with KLove in Minny, Sacramento's lack of success has a lot less to do with Cousins and a lot more with the team's inept players and front office management.

How can a so called franchise calibre player, never make the playoffs in 5 years in the league? This is a joke right?

He played all 5 years in the western conference, that's how.

Anthony Davis makes no excuse

1.  I don't think anyone thinks Boogie is a better player than Anthony Davis.
2.  Anthony Davis just made the playoffs for the first time this year as an 8 seed and got swept.  And he has much more talent around him than Boogie.

There's no shame in Boogie missing the playoffs in the West on that Kings team, and the fact that he's not quite as good as the best young big man in the league (if not the best period) isn't a reason to not trade for him.