Author Topic: Griffin: Building around LeBron was 'miserable'  (Read 5420 times)

Re: Griffin: Building around LeBron was 'miserable'
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 09:49:31 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Sources close to LeBron James were "shocked" at the way he was characterized by David Griffin in an interview with Sports Illustrated.

Griffin and a person close to James spoke after the SI story was published, sources told ESPN. Griffin said some context was missing. James' camp encouraged Griffin to clear things up on the record.

Griffin told Sports Illustrated that he believes James winning a title in Ohio also has affected his mindset on the court and wondered whether James is more preoccupied with other priorities.

"There wasn't a lot else for him," Griffin said. "I don't think he's the same animal anymore about winning."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27302340/griffin-was-miserable-building-lebron

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 10:12:24 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

Sources close to LeBron James were "shocked" at the way he was characterized by David Griffin in an interview with Sports Illustrated.”

I wonder if it was a JR Smith level of shocked, or just a shrug?

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2019, 10:37:48 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
"There wasn't a lot else for him," Griffin said. "I don't think he's the same animal anymore about winning."

I don't know about this statement. Do you guys think LeBron isn't the same animal anymore about winning?

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2019, 11:07:45 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
It's not a mistake when he brought your team their first championship.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2019, 11:14:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don't know about this statement. Do you guys think LeBron isn't the same animal anymore about winning?
I'd say he's definitely become concerned with things besides winning
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 01:37:26 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
i cant wait for lebron to be gone
we've all been there done that w him for quite long enough
next please!!

TP.......sick of LeFemaleDog being deified by himself AND his sycophantic, enabling, apologist fanboys and stans.

So the guy has great, natural? physical skills and basketball instincts and he's never been caught doing anything untoward and he is big into charities (as are most NBA players).....Big deal!!! That's why people deify him?

And why does he deify himself, with "The Chosen One" tatted across his shoulders/back. Why doesn't he just get neon-signed up and have flashing lights implanted under his skin to make sure people really see he is The Chosen One.

Bron Bron is **** and a petulant diva. He and Trump share a narcissism and a messianic complex. They are far more alike than either would want you to believe.

He started this "super friends/team" crap by colluding with Riley and Wade and Bosh, and he knew that he and Riley would get away with it because he is The self-proclaimed KIng and the league wouldn't touch him nor Riley by extension and the league wanted the quick $$$$ that the super team would provide. And look what has happened since then....sad.

Great player, granted. Greatest ever...not a chance.

But, hey....bang Bron Bron around, and you're a jealous hater.

Tell us how you really feel C's fan!

That was awesome TP!

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 06:20:58 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The ESPN article takes a lot of context out of the Griffin quotes.  The SI source article gives a much different picture and context to many of those quotes.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/08/01/david-griffin-pelicans-rebuild-zion-williamson-anthony-davis-trade-lebron-james-cavaliers
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 08:27:49 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He's just confirming what we all suspected - it's a nightmare playing with/working with LeBum because of the nature of who he is, he just exerts such a force on everything. KD talked about it earlier, about how LeBum sucks all the oxygen out of the room. Whether it's because he's a Machiavellian manipulator or just because of who he is, he's like a black hole with how he affects things around him. I don't think he's a bad person per se, no more than any person with power and influence is, and certainly he will go down as one of the greatest ever, but any team/organization with him in it is basically LeBum James and the Seven Dwarfs. If the team wins it's because of LeBum, if they lose the cast around him wasn't good enough. I can just imagine how difficult it would be, not so much for the grunts, but the other major stakeholders and decision makers around the team.

Important to note that "the cast around him" was usually hand-picked by ... him. Yet somehow he's not responsible for his own bad personnel choices.

Exactly. His buddies sign with Klutch (i.e. Tristan Thompson) and use their Lebron relationship as leverage.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2019, 10:32:21 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
next please!!

TP.......sick of LeFemaleDog being deified by himself AND his sycophantic, enabling, apologist fanboys and stans.

So the guy has great, natural? physical skills and basketball instincts and he's never been caught doing anything untoward and he is big into charities (as are most NBA players).....Big deal!!! That's why people deify him?

And why does he deify himself, with "The Chosen One" tatted across his shoulders/back. Why doesn't he just get neon-signed up and have flashing lights implanted under his skin to make sure people really see he is The Chosen One.

Bron Bron is **** and a petulant diva. He and Trump share a narcissism and a messianic complex. They are far more alike than either would want you to believe.

He started this "super friends/team" crap by colluding with Riley and Wade and Bosh, and he knew that he and Riley would get away with it because he is The self-proclaimed KIng and the league wouldn't touch him nor Riley by extension and the league wanted the quick $$$$ that the super team would provide. And look what has happened since then....sad.

That was awesome TP!

The hilarious thing here is that "IF" he came to BOS after bolting CLE (as was briefly rumored by Stephen A) then we'd ALL be singing his praises and would've raised Banner 18 by now.

Danny would be sitting on LeBron's lap - like a kid with Santa Claus - asking him for multiple championships.

Big Al would still be here, probably.

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2019, 04:08:52 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
next please!!

That was awesome TP!

The hilarious thing here is that "IF" he came to BOS after bolting CLE (as was briefly rumored by Stephen A) then we'd ALL be singing his praises and would've raised Banner 18 by now.

Danny would be sitting on LeBron's lap - like a kid with Santa Claus - asking him for multiple championships.

The fans might be happy at winning a title, but LeBron's presence would dilute it greatly. I don't think he would ever be 100% embraced here. I would feel dirty rooting for him.

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2019, 07:22:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

MONEY ....first now ....always money .....money is power .....bron has more money than he can spend in six life times .  He is on a power trip at this point .   He wants an NBA team .   I only pray it doesn't happen.

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2019, 07:27:10 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
next please!!

That was awesome TP!

The fans might be happy at winning a title, but LeBron's presence would dilute it greatly. I don't think he would ever be 100% embraced here. I would feel dirty rooting for him.

I agree. Much like winning a title in 2017 (with IT) would have been a heck of a lot more enjoyable than winning one in 2018.

Kyrie sucks the life out of teams, and I think we all know where he learned that trait. LeBron marches to the beat of his own drum. He creates his own roster and picks his own coaching staff. Only a matter of time that it doesn’t work. And that time is hopefully already upon us.
CELTICS 2024