Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 77412 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 Season
« Reply #300 on: November 01, 2020, 05:51:47 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I love Brady and firmly believe he is the GOAT, but I am not ready to say it was all him. Those early 2000s teams had very special defenses and a system around Brady that just clicked perfectly. While Brady has clearly carried the load for a while now, I doubt he would have 6 SBs if BB wasn't leading the way when the dynasty began. 3 SBs in [essentially] your first four seasons as a QB is absolutely unheard of.

Pats fans should be super thankful we had both guys over the same 20 year span - just an incredible run.

Agreed. Anyone claiming that this year is a sign that it was all Brady is ignoring that 1. We contended for 20 years in a league designed to prevent runs like that. It took a great QB, great coach/GM, and some short-sighted decisions to do that. Eventually, everyone has to pay the piper. And 2. There isn't a single coach or GM in the league that would have us contending based on the position we were in when the offseason started. Sure, another GM may have made some longer term moves over the past few years that would leave us in a better situation today, but they wouldn't have won 3 super bowls in the process.

It seems like people really want to find someone that's entirely responsible for this season, but there isn't one. This is what football is: you can build a really good team, but eventually things fall apart and you have to rebuild. Bill and Brady were able to hide that ugly truth from us for 20 years, but it's our time now. The dynasty of the past 20 years is over, now it's time to focus on starting a new one. Starting with a young new franchise QB
I'm bitter.

« Reply #301 on: November 01, 2020, 07:40:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I love Brady and firmly believe he is the GOAT, but I am not ready to say it was all him. Those early 2000s teams had very special defenses and a system around Brady that just clicked perfectly. While Brady has clearly carried the load for a while now, I doubt he would have 6 SBs if BB wasn't leading the way when the dynasty began. 3 SBs in [essentially] your first four seasons as a QB is absolutely unheard of.

Pats fans should be super thankful we had both guys over the same 20 year span - just an incredible run.

Agreed. Anyone claiming that this year is a sign that it was all Brady is ignoring that 1. We contended for 20 years in a league designed to prevent runs like that. It took a great QB, great coach/GM, and some short-sighted decisions to do that. Eventually, everyone has to pay the piper. And 2. There isn't a single coach or GM in the league that would have us contending based on the position we were in when the offseason started. Sure, another GM may have made some longer term moves over the past few years that would leave us in a better situation today, but they wouldn't have won 3 super bowls in the process.

It seems like people really want to find someone that's entirely responsible for this season, but there isn't one. This is what football is: you can build a really good team, but eventually things fall apart and you have to rebuild. Bill and Brady were able to hide that ugly truth from us for 20 years, but it's our time now. The dynasty of the past 20 years is over, now it's time to focus on starting a new one. Starting with a young new franchise QB

I still think Pats should have traded for Foles in the offseason

He is a good qb under pressure.  Maybe a little slip up these years. But could have worked well with Belichick

If you think the Pats should just find that new young qb. They need to trade players like Gilmore and nudge the tanking. Could be a painful 2 to 3 years, but better off for the long run

« Reply #302 on: November 01, 2020, 09:14:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Rare/not many teams have been able to win the superbowl with a mediocre qb

But an elite qb has been able to will their teams to wins

The adv goes to qb. Unless the coach has won SBs with multiple teams

This just isn't true at all. There are plenty of teams in the last 20 years who have won a SB with a QB who wasn't elite. Just going down the list:

2017 Eagles (Foles)
2015 Broncos (Peyton was well past his prime and didn't even play the majority of the reg. season
2011 Giants (E Manning)
2007 Giants (E Manning)
2002 Bucs (B Johnson)
2000 Ravens (Dilfer)

That's literally 6 of 14 SBs (not including NE's wins). I never said Brady was mediocre in his early days. He was very very good and fit the system like a glove. His poise under pressure was also unmatched; but he never was a big stats guy and he wasn't expected to carry the team like he did for the majority of his career. All I'm saying is that Brady and Belichick were a perfect match for each other and it created an epic dynasty. No need to play favorites now as it just isn't a fair comparison based on circumstances.

« Reply #303 on: November 01, 2020, 09:54:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

This just isn't true at all. There are plenty of teams in the last 20 years who have won a SB with a QB who wasn't elite. Just going down the list:

2017 Eagles (Foles)
2015 Broncos (Peyton was well past his prime and didn't even play the majority of the reg. season
2011 Giants (E Manning)
2007 Giants (E Manning)
2002 Bucs (B Johnson)
2000 Ravens (Dilfer)

That's literally 6 of 14 SBs (not including NE's wins). I never said Brady was mediocre in his early days. He was very very good and fit the system like a glove. His poise under pressure was also unmatched; but he never was a big stats guy and he wasn't expected to carry the team like he did for the majority of his career. All I'm saying is that Brady and Belichick were a perfect match for each other and it created an epic dynasty. No need to play favorites now as it just isn't a fair comparison based on circumstances.

You are wrong bout the Manning brothers

1st. The manning brothers are  top end QBs.   It doesn't matter if Peyton was 40 (he was still considered a strong QB).  Eli won twice, and he was one of the key reasons why the Giants won

So thats 3 out of 14.  Not including NE/TB12 wins.   

« Reply #304 on: November 01, 2020, 11:17:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

2017 Eagles (Foles)
2011 Giants (E Manning)
2007 Giants (E Manning)
2002 Bucs (B Johnson)
2000 Ravens (Dilfer)

You are wrong bout the Manning brothers

1st. The manning brothers are  top end QBs.   It doesn't matter if Peyton was 40 (he was still considered a strong QB).  Eli won twice, and he was one of the key reasons why the Giants won

So thats 3 out of 14.  Not including NE/TB12 wins.
well he didn't have Flacco on there and Eli has never been an elite QB.  I mean Eli has as many losses as he does wins at 117-117.  He has 366 TD's, but also 244 INT's.  His QB Rating is 84.1 which is 45th all time (hard stat to really use b/c of the lack of passing in history) but for some context that is behind guys like Jameis Winston, Andy Dalton, Nick Foles, Matt Schaub, Derek Carr, etc.  But the real kicker is his best season of 93.6 ties him for the 243rd best season in history. 

And he was absolutely right about Peyton in 2015.  He played in 10 games in the regular season and had 9 TD's and 17 INT's and was so bad he got benched for Brock Osweiler (and then was magically hurt and missed a bunch of games).  Now they brought Peyton back in towards the end of the year and the playoff run, but he wasn't much better in the playoffs.  I mean against Pittsburgh he was 21 of 37 for 222 yards with 0 TD and 0 INT (he did fumble, but it was recovered by Denver).  He wasn't much better against New England at 17 of 32 for 176 yards, but did have 2 TD's and 0 INT's (though did lose a fumble).  His Superbowl was one of the worst QB performance from a winning QB ever at 13 of 23 for 141 yards with 0 TD's and 1 INT along with 2 fumbles (1 lost).  Honestly, I don't think you will find 3 consecutive playoff games as badly played from a QB ever, and I'm including QB's that had 3 straight losses over 3 seasons.  Peyton Manning was awful the year he won in Denver.  It really isn't debatable.  The Broncos defense was just incredible that year.  They gave up 16, 18, and 10 points in their 3 playoff games.

And one of the few players that can actually challenge Peyton for a worse Superbowl and yet the team still won was Big Ben in 2005.  In that Superbowl, Ben was 9 of 21 for 123 yards with 0 TD's and 2 INT's.  He did rush 7 times for 25 yards and a TD.  Really the only saving grace.  Hasselbeck significantly outperformed him and he was pretty bad overall.  Ben obviously went on to have an elite level career but he wasn't much more than a game manager in his 2nd year and first Superbowl.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #305 on: November 09, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Pats offence just scored their first 1st quarter touchdown!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #306 on: November 09, 2020, 09:11:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Convince me I'm wrong:

The Patriots are the worst team in the league.

If you disagree, are there five teams worse than them?
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #307 on: November 09, 2020, 09:21:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Convince me I'm wrong:

I think I disagree, but the Patriots are IMO in the bottom 3 over the last few weeks. More embarrassingly, the Pats are the worst team that isn't outwardly tanking, like the Jets, Giants or Jaguars.

They're really bad

« Reply #308 on: November 09, 2020, 09:32:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Why should the pats play cam at this point? I think the idea for him is as a tryout for a borderline playoff team that just needs a decent QB.  What are the pats getting out of it? They're not a playoff team.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #309 on: November 09, 2020, 09:34:44 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Convince me I'm wrong:

I think I disagree, but the Patriots are IMO in the bottom 3 over the last few weeks. More embarrassingly, the Pats are the worst team that isn't outwardly tanking, like the Jets, Giants or Jaguars.

They're really bad

I don't think the Giants are trying to lose games, they just suck. If they were trying to lose they wouldn't have beaten the Football Team twice.

But I do think the Patriots are every bit as bad as those teams.  Hard to tell which team is the worst, there's quite a bit of competition on that front.

« Reply #310 on: November 09, 2020, 09:40:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Convince me I'm wrong:

They're really bad

I don't think the Giants are trying to lose games, they just suck. If they were trying to lose they wouldn't have beaten the Football Team twice.

But I do think the Patriots are every bit as bad as those teams.  Hard to tell which team is the worst, there's quite a bit of competition on that front.
Ha, yeah, maybe. It's really unlucky for the Giants that Saquon went down.

« Reply #311 on: November 09, 2020, 09:42:56 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
When your best players are two OL men and the punter the team is bad.

« Reply #312 on: November 09, 2020, 09:44:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The most amazing thing to me is how rapidly and how completely the pats became a team without any really remarkable talent on the roster.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #313 on: November 09, 2020, 09:51:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Joe Flacco always did love torching the Pats.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #314 on: November 09, 2020, 10:15:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The most amazing thing to me is how rapidly and how completely the pats became a team without any really remarkable talent on the roster.
Bad drafting and issues retaining top talent. They have a habit of over paying low tier guys and there is less money left over for top talent. Also they rely on team captains a little too long and don't draft guys behind them soon enough.