Author Topic: Sign and trade TA (along with Davis) to Orlando for Battie  (Read 11823 times)

Re: Sign and trade TA (along with Davis) to Orlando for Battie
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 10:49:16 AM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
Battie would not be a bad choice coming off the bench.  However, if we can somehow keep our MLE, I believe we can do better.  

Big Baby and Tony Allen are not really marketable players.  I'm not sure that the other team would be willing to do this.  Would the other team want to assume the salary that you're proposing for Tony Allen?  He's not good enough for that kind of money, wdleehi.  That's just my humble opinion though.

I agree, we don't need another short PF on the bench.  We need height and lenght. 

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 10:52:37 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Love Battie, always have, but I think there's opportunities out there.

The Celts have become the team that players will want to go and be a part of.  Simply amazing.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 11:05:24 AM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
Are we talking about Tony Battie, one who played this season, what? 0 games?

And 33 years old?

I love Tony, and that is all right now...

I'm almost frightened reading rumors here, people want to trade Rondo for some Chinese guy, trading our youngsters for injury pron old players, I think same people who wanted PP traded and didn't want KG for Al Jeff. (who IS great player not to be misunderstood)

But never mind...

I'm just glad these are just rumors

I am aware that we will eventually need to trade players, but last thing we need to to now is to rush things... we need to focus on keeping our players and our winning team

Man - what did they accomplish and most of them were playing this season first time together.

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 11:06:11 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
TA needs to be signed to a deal around 4.5 mil a year. 

For the Celtics.   

1) it solves the back up C role on this team for then next 3 years.  It adds a veteran big man that knows how to rebound and defend. 

2) Pruitt (or a 1st round rookie) can step into the role of 4th/5th G

3) Team doesn't need both Davis and Powe.  I went with keeping Powe because he brings better energy and (sorry to say this) I am not worried about him eating his way out of the league. 

4) Doesn't subtract from the top 8 players on the Celtics (as long as Posey and House are retained)

For the Magic.

1) it is a possible upgrade at SG.  TA has shown to be an above average player when starting on a bad team.  He could be that starting on a good team. 

BBD is a better prospect than Battie at this point and Pruitt doesn't have the same skill set as TA so he doesn't really cover the things lost in moving TA.

plus, Powe and BBD don't duplicate each other IMO. BBD can guard the C position which Powe is not big enough to do..

Pruitt more likely is an Eddie replacement....but i hope we bring back Eddie for at least one more year so this team can have another run at this thing.

1) Celtics are going for number 18 next year.   Battie is a better fit off the bench next to Powe then Davis.  He replaces PJ.  Davis being a better long term prospect doesn't matter.

2) TA when on his game is hard to replace.   Unfortunately off the bench, TA is rarely on his game, and then he is easy to replace.  TA might be one of those role players that need to start.  Something he can't do here.  

on #1, i think long term prospects actually do matter. plus, BBD is already a contributor.....heck, why can't we sign PJ late next season for another run too...

i would even consider bringing Pollard back and/or look at drafting a guy like Kaun who can come in and bang the boards right away....

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 11:09:22 AM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Wow, didn't realize Battie was still in the league.

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Are we talking about Tony Battie, one who played this season, what? 0 games?

And 33 years old?

I love Tony, and that is all right now...

I'm almost frightened reading rumors here, people want to trade Rondo for some Chinese guy, trading our youngsters for injury pron old players, I think same people who wanted PP traded and didn't want KG for Al Jeff. (who IS great player not to be misunderstood)

But never mind...

I'm just glad these are just rumors

I am aware that we will eventually need to trade players, but last thing we need to to now is to rush things... we need to focus on keeping our players and our winning team

Man - what did they accomplish and most of them were playing this season first time together.

Battie missed the season because of a torn rotator cup in his shoulder.  He will be playing again this year for a playoff team 20+ minutes a game.  

As for keeping players, there are only two player the Celtics could lose the need to fucus on, Posey and House.

There are three players they need to replace.  PJ, Cassell and Pollard.

There is one player they could keep or replace.  TA.  

Draft is what, a week away.  The Celtics better be looking at this already.  

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 12:41:37 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
or orlando could just draft courtney lee out of western kentucky(who theyve gone to see workout twice) and keep battie if they want and make this whole thing moot.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 12:56:44 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
TA needs to be signed to a deal around 4.5 mil a year. 

For the Celtics.   

1) it solves the back up C role on this team for then next 3 years.  It adds a veteran big man that knows how to rebound and defend. 

2) Pruitt (or a 1st round rookie) can step into the role of 4th/5th G

3) Team doesn't need both Davis and Powe.  I went with keeping Powe because he brings better energy and (sorry to say this) I am not worried about him eating his way out of the league. 

4) Doesn't subtract from the top 8 players on the Celtics (as long as Posey and House are retained)

For the Magic.

1) it is a possible upgrade at SG.  TA has shown to be an above average player when starting on a bad team.  He could be that starting on a good team. 

If this were a couple of years ago, maybe, but I just don't trust that Battie can stay healthy anymore (actually, he never could).  In his 12 year career, he has only played more than 60 games in a season 7 times.  It isn't horrible, but it also is not great.

We also would be tying up a lot of money on a guy coming off an injury, and would likely still need an insurance plan in case he can't stay healthy.

Most importantly though, why would Orlando give Tony Allen 4.5 million a year (well, other than the fact that they gave Lewis about twice as much as he is worth)?  Tony Allen has some potential, and is an OK player, but he has not earned anything close to that kind of commitment.

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 01:01:03 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I'd rather re-sign PJ Brown (preferably after the all-star break just like last season) or Alonzo Mourning.  I don't want to use assets (especially Tony who I think will bounce back nicely) for Battie when we can just sign another center without giving up anything but money.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 01:28:32 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I love BatMan, but Orlando's looking to make some noise next year.  If they can improve the PG spot a little, they should/could be in the top 3 in the East next year.  They should be looking to add some size, not get rid of it.  Battie's a nice fit for them playing behind Dwight and maybe giving them some minutes at the 4. 

I'll be shocked if Tony Allen ends up signing for more than the qualifying offer, which is what - like $2.7M?  I'll be somewhat surprised if they even make the offer, since I don't think they'll REALLY mind if he signs elsewhere (they'll be no shortage of good veterans who want some Ubuntu in their lives.  He'll be in the league, but I think he's looking at a deal more like what Eddie House signed for - a fraction of the MLE, keep the deal short term, go somewhere that he can start and earn himself a good contract NEXT summer.

I've heard Toronto mentioned as a decent landing ground for Tony Allen; a sign-and-trade there make sense?