Author Topic: Gallo or Muscala?  (Read 4749 times)

Gallo or Muscala?
« on: January 15, 2024, 12:06:15 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Re: Gallo or Muscala?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 12:25:10 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Are we thinking of either of these for end of bench/insurance or actual minutes? If so from who? I’m guessing Hauser unless they both want to play as bigs in which case it would be Kornet?

I see 2 issues with trade…how many picks would we want to give up for them? 2 second round for Gallo, 1 for Muscala? Based on what Detroit wants for Bogdanovic, which is apparently 2 first rounders, they will probably want a first for Gallo since they gave a first to get him…and then the $6m for Gallo, that would be done with three of the $2m guys but we would have 2 open roster spots instead of one. Muscala is on $3m and change, so we could do it with Banton/Brissett/Stevens and Hauser.

Both could be offensive upgrades (though Gallo is averaging 7.1 ppg on 31% from 3 while Muscala is averaging 3ppg on 27% from 3, so maybe not  :angel:) but is thst what we need for end of bench or do we need hustle/defensive players to complement our top 6?

I feel there might be an opportunity because the players have name recognition, but I’m undecided as to whether they would really move the needle for us as regards to their fit with our current team. They have that feeling of being retreads esp. given the cost   ???

« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 12:35:18 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 12:35:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I am not sure of the rules but one of our more reliable posters (Celtics2021) posted the following in another thread:

No [Gallinari does not fit our TPE], but it doesn’t matter.  You can’t trade for someone you’ve traded away the same season (last offseason counts as this season for this rule).  We can sign him [Gallinari] if he’s released now that he’s been traded again, but that’s the only way for us to get him or Muscala this season.

I will say that I tried a trade on Fanspo for Muscala to BOS (he does fit the TPE), and the trade did work.  It also worked on RealGM but not ESPN.

The legalities of the trade aside, I am not sure I want to trade anything of value for either Gallinari or Muscala.  If waived, either would be worth considering on a non-guaranteed or other really low cost min contract.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 12:40:52 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Is Muscalla really any better than Queta/Kornet/Brisset? He couldn't get minutes here last year, and I don't really think that's changed. He might play when KP or Horford miss a game, but I'd rather keep the roster spot open than pick him up.

Gallo I would take in a heartbeat, I'd rather more of a 4/5 but he's a clear upgrade from Brisett and would have a spot in the rotation
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 12:42:52 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I just came back to say I checked and Gallo is 100k over our TPE  :police:

Thinking about it more I would take a pass. I don’t think either would be better than Hauser and Hauser is 10 years younger and on a smaller contract. I don’t think either are better than Kornet for what we need them to be either. I haven’t watched all of Washington’s games but apparently Gallo is really looking his age, a step slow after his surgery and not shooting well. But yes vet min unguaranteed would be a different story.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 12:54:41 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Gallinari does not fit the TPE.  We may not be able to trade for him in any case.  But we can sign him if he is waived.

I think the tougher question is how far back is he going to come from the injury.  Based on what he did in WAS this season, he has not come back far enough at this point.  But coming back from this serious of an injury can take a while.  There may be some injury recovery ceiling still to be realized before now and the start of the playoffs.

Any contending team that would consider taking Gallinari, would be doing so with the hope that he is still playing back to full strength, whatever "full strength" is post-injury.  There is some hope that he could still improve between now and the playoffs and be able to be one of those players that makes a difference off the bench in a few playoff games.  I honesty have my doubts.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 01:55:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Buyout yes, trade no.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 02:07:39 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
Gallinari does not fit the TPE.  We may not be able to trade for him in any case.  But we can sign him if he is waived.

I think the tougher question is how far back is he going to come from the injury.  Based on what he did in WAS this season, he has not come back far enough at this point.  But coming back from this serious of an injury can take a while.  There may be some injury recovery ceiling still to be realized before now and the start of the playoffs.

Any contending team that would consider taking Gallinari, would be doing so with the hope that he is still playing back to full strength, whatever "full strength" is post-injury.  There is some hope that he could still improve between now and the playoffs and be able to be one of those players that makes a difference off the bench in a few playoff games.  I honesty have my doubts.

oh man you really hit my concerns in the bolded section.  I just don't think a 'not-the-same-since-the-injury' Galo is really any better than a 'busting-his-butt-energy-non-injured'  Oshae.   Brisset has been playing better and better each game he gets minutes, he plays defense and he rebounds, and he attacks the rim.  Maybe I am not understanding Galo's potential role, but if we are depending on him to hit 3s and score a lot in the playoffs if we signed him, I think that is fools gold.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 02:16:08 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Both are shooting the ball poorly this season and both are a huge liability defensively. Would rather stick with what we have, but if had to choose, I’d take Muscala over Gallinari. Mike moves better at this point. Galinari looks like he’s running in mud.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 02:49:17 PM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18
Joe won't play Muscala, he may not even play Galinari, with that in mind I'd take Galinari, he wanted to be a Celtic and missed that opportunity, I think he'd be a more motivated player if were to come back.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2024, 06:05:59 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Celtics can do better besides those 2
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2024, 06:07:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Julio Gallo …all day baby

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2024, 07:01:37 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Gallo in a buyout would be cool. Play him 12-15 minutes just in games where Al sits. The hope would be that he would be ready to help in the playoffs if called upon.

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2024, 07:23:21 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Celtics can do better besides those 2

Who?

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2024, 08:01:39 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I would take Gallo off the bench in a hurry.