Author Topic: Is this team in serious trouble?  (Read 5151 times)

Is this team in serious trouble?
« on: November 19, 2018, 10:05:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So the honeymoon period is seriously over.  The team looks NOTHING like a contender, and you really have to wonder whether it will as currently constructed.  Bringing one of the wings off the bench is a start but man do we need some role players that don’t need the ball to be successful.

Re: Is this team in serious trouble?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 10:15:21 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I don't think you can be in serious trouble with four fifths of the season to go. Clearly they have plenty to work on. We're far from the finished product, we have a number of issues to resolve. I’m not that upset about tonight's game, we fell apart at the end and didn't close it out but we did some good things, we drove to the hoop more than I've seen any time this year. And Kemba had to score 43. Probably what Toronto felt when Kyrie scored 43 and stole the game from them.

After the first 10 games seeing how disjointed they were I concluded that it’s going to take months. We’re not going to be a no.1 seed but we will make the playoffs and this team looks like it needs the playoffs to motivate them. They got plenty to fix, including learning how to shoot again, and figuring out how to use Gordon when he's struggling with his shot and his role, but I think serious trouble might be an overreaction. If the playoffs were next month I would agree with you though, thankfully they're not till April  ;D

The biggest risk right now is team morale. This is Brad's most important task, to make sure the team doesn't start fracturing and finger pointing. If that happens then we will be in serious trouble.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:33:08 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 10:18:52 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
yes and no....I mean, we are 17games into the season. a decent sample size but not necessarily something where we can't rebound and become a contender.

There were glimpses tonight of good basketball....but Kemba went super-god mode in the 4th and Brad decided to bench Kyrie when he was hot and didn't put him back in until the lead was lost.

And the decision to leave Hayward in instead of Brown in the 4th was questionable. Especially when Hayward is allergic to the rim right now and Brown was having a pretty solid game.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 10:25:11 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
We will be if Brad continues having a hard on for Hayward and small ball.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 10:25:33 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
So the honeymoon period is seriously over.  The team looks NOTHING like a contender, and you really have to wonder whether it will as currently constructed.  Bringing one of the wings off the bench is a start but man do we need some role players that don’t need the ball to be successful.

When you are 1st in defense (but tend to get scored o by good offenses), and bottom five in offense you are by definition going to be an around 500 team. We are what our record says we are.

That said I've seen you make this point several times, and I understand where you are coming from. But lets say we could exchange some of our guys like Brown, Smart, Rozier, Morris or the so called "role players" for guys who better fit a role. The problem is that as uneven as we've been, we don't have the top end talent to compete with a GS or even Toronto if we go that direction. Al has taken half step back. Kyrie is still great but not an MVP level guy. Tatum is good, but he has serious flaws in his game he  has to work on and isn't gonna be the foundational level guy this year (tho long term he could be). Hayward has sucked. Swapping say out pieces on the peripheries might make us marginaly better, but to be honest as long as our "stars" are playing poorly, we aint winning it all. That's part of the reason i'd hang onto Brown in particular. He at least has some potential (A Davis trade is different, I would trade brown for him. Or Tatum for that matter. Tho probbly not both).

An underated problem with this team is that two of our max guys are underwhelming this year. Al is still solid, but seems like he's about 5-10% worse than last year. Not suprising at his age. nd Hayward is uneven, ttho mostly bad. Thats 60 million right there giving you abaout 22 points a game.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 10:25:44 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
No. It's just that we're not steamrolling the league just yet.

Let's revisit this thread by end of Feb - early Mar if we still look like we do now.

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 10:34:12 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
You can't say it's too early in the season to form an opinion any more.

But I wouldn't say they are dead in the water yet. Hayward still has a really long way to go, right now he's afraid to shoot the ball.

Brad making bad decisions down the stretch. We have a ton to fix still.

If we're still flirting with a .500 record 30 games in I'd say any hopes of making the finals are done IMO (mostly because I think we'll need home court advantage to make it through the playoffs and we'll most likely be too far behind at that point).

As it stands now I really don't know how to rank us, I feel like any team can beat us on any given night at this point. I'd say we still have a chance but most likely prepping our guys for a serious run next year depending on how much of our team is still here.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:42:22 PM by CF033 »

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 10:42:26 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Serious overreaction.

Miami Heat started the season 9-8 in 2010 and went to the finals.
Cavs started last season 5-7 and went to the finals.
LA Lakers were 2-6 just a couple weeks ago.

Everybody loves to overreact in sports.  We're re-integrating new players back in again.  Give them some time.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 10:44:12 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
What's disquieting to me is that while a lot of fans were saying Hayward was the square plug in the round hole, the local sports media refused to criticize Stevens for starting him.

It seemed ridiculous to me to start Hayward in back to back games after an OT game when he played 39 mins. Leonard is still not playing back to back games in Toronto.

Hayward is not back yet to the $30 million dollar man, and further, Stevens hasn't created a proper role for him which allows their young studs to develop further.

Stevens has shown brilliance in game managing in the past, and the Celtics had a great run down to the stretch last season and in the playoffs, only to be denied in that infamous game 7 at home, when their 3P dominated game killed them. But so far this year, he hasn't figured it out. And over reliance on the 3 is haunting them. They need easier baskets.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 10:45:48 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Serious overreaction.

Miami Heat started the season 9-8 in 2010 and went to the finals.
Cavs started last season 5-7 and went to the finals.
LA Lakers were 2-6 just a couple weeks ago.

Everybody loves to overreact in sports.  We're re-integrating new players back in again.  Give them some time.

One problem though, we don't have Lebron James.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 10:54:03 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1668
2016–17 Golden State Warriors started 0-1 for the reg season.

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 11:33:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 11:34:43 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 12:08:59 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
They're not in what I'd call serious trouble yet but Stevens is probably doubting himself for the first time in his coaching career.  He's put his faith in Hayward (understandably) but Hayward has not been able to deliver yet. But it's not just that.  Certain players aren't performing consistently.

If I had to guess, Danny's going to make a move to get some better shooting here.

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 12:28:58 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

As it stands now I really don't know how to rank us, I feel like any team can beat us on any given night at this point. I'd say we still have a chance but most likely prepping our guys for a serious run next year depending on how much of our team is still here.

I feel like we can beat any team on a given night but any team can also beat us on a given night  :-\
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D