Author Topic: Patriots Free Agency Thread  (Read 47882 times)

Re: Patriots Free Agency Thread
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2017, 11:41:35 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Jimmy Malcolm Butler is meeting with New Orleans on Thursday.

Thing is early rumors originally said that to acquire Brandin Cooks, Malcolm Butler would have to be involved in the deal. But he didn't, yet reports said both sides may still explore a future Butler trade.

I personally want to KEEP him but this is the Patriots front office we're talking about.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2017, 11:50:12 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Thing is early rumors originally said that to acquire Brandin Cooks, Malcolm Butler would have to be involved in the deal. But he didn't, yet reports said both sides may still explore a future Butler trade.

I personally want to KEEP him but this is the Patriots front office we're talking about.

I am with you to be honest. I don't see whats wrong with giving good money to 2 elite CBs who are both well under 30 going forward. If we resigned Hightower, and Butler, a defensive core going forward of Butler, Hightower, Gilmore, and Devin Mccourty sounds amazing to me. Sure we need an edge rusher, but that's doable.
#JKJB

« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2017, 11:57:36 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

Do we get their first round pick if they sign him, or a compensatory pick at the end of the round?

Thanks,
Mike

« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2017, 12:07:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Do we get their first round pick if they sign him, or a compensatory pick at the end of the round?

Thanks,
Mike

New England would get their first round pick.  There are no compensatory picks awarded in the first two rounds of the NFL draft.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2017, 12:14:36 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff

Thanks,
Mike

New England would get their first round pick.  There are no compensatory picks awarded in the first two rounds of the NFL draft.

So we either match Butler or get the 11th pick in the draft? Awesome lol.

So what happens if a team places the tender on a player, and the team that signs him doesnt own their first round pick? Like hypothetically say the Saints had traded their 2017 ist rounder last year?
#JKJB

« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2017, 12:24:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Thanks,
Mike

So what happens if a team places the tender on a player, and the team that signs him doesnt own their first round pick? Like hypothetically say the Saints had traded their 2017 ist rounder last year?

That team can't sign the tender if they don't have a 1st rounder.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2017, 12:34:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
If BB figures he only has one more year left, anyway, we send him to NO for their first and third.

Mike

« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Thanks,
Mike

This is incredible and a TP for the clarification. I absolutely want to keep Butler, but getting the 11th pick of the draft would be very fair compensation for a player who might not be here beyond this next season. Seems like a win-win no matter how it goes down.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 01:20:19 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2017, 12:58:59 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff

Thanks,
Mike

That team can't sign the tender if they don't have a 1st rounder.

So if that team didn't have a first rounder, they wouldn't be able to sign Butler? Very interesting.
#JKJB

« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2017, 01:50:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
On Butler it could also be a wink and a nod and we trade him for our first rounder back. Not the Saints first rounder.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2017, 01:51:53 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
On Butler it could also be a wink and a nod and we trade him for our first rounder back. Not the Saints first rounder.
Butler + a 3rd for Cooks + a 4th is not a deal I would be happy with.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2017, 03:51:26 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I'd hate to lose Butler and Garapolo, but if Pats get #11 for MB and #12 and #33 for JG, it will be a boatload of fun watching BB making deals for more picks.

« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2017, 06:01:48 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
Butler + a 3rd for Cooks + a 4th is not a deal I would be happy with.

Couldn't agree more, especially since that 4th was forfeited. So in reality it's Butler and a 3rd for Cooks.

« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2017, 06:36:06 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Bill is back at it again.  Never ceases to amaze. 

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1254919-patriots-sign-former-bengals-running-back-rex-burkhead

Burkhead entered free agency after four seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals as a highly underutilized - and thus, underrated - offensive weapon.

His ability both as a runner and as a receiver, either out of the backfield or split out wide, makes him everything the Patriots are looking for in potential playmakers at the position. He's also a well-established contributor on special teams.

Burkhead tallied 344 rushing yards, 145 receiving yards, and two touchdowns across 16 games in 2016.

A 5'10" white dude, former 6th round pick (Brady: 6th; Edelman: 7th), that is "versatilie," "underrated," and has been "underutilized."  Look forward to seeing this guy in the Pro Bowl in 2 years by way of Bill's genius.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC