Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 76864 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 season
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2020, 11:48:10 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Guess we’re tanking for Trevor Lawrence? Lol

I think it's more likely that Bill simply figures he can draft somebody, or else sign a cheap veteran (as the team did at the end of last year). 

No need to shell out more than minimum money for a kicker when (1) your team may not be in the playoffs anyway and (2) your long term guy at the position probably isn't elite anymore.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2020, 11:50:04 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Can Newton released. Does Bill bring him in?

Re: Pats cut Gostkowski
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2020, 12:00:17 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28943576/patriots-release-kicker-stephen-gostkowski-14-seasons

Man, this really does feel like the end of an era/dynasty  :(

Regardless how you felt about him the past season, Ghost was another huge part of the dynasty. All-time leader in points for the Pats. It's actually amazing how lucky we were to go from Vinatieri to another Hall of Fame kicker in Gostkowski.

It blows my mind to realize that Ghost has been here for so long—in New England even longer than Vinatieri was.

Hopefully Bill can find a solid kicker in the draft.

Yeah, Gostkowski still seems like the kid who replaced Vinatieri a few years ago.  Great career even if it ends now.  It’s possible to get him back when he heals from surgery.  Hope he’ll want to.

Kinda glad that the end of the era is taking a backseat to more important things.  Gives some perspective to what matters.  If football is back in August/September which is highly questionable, I’ll be all in on Stidham (or whoever) and I’ll work toward indifference when it comes to the former QB.  Can’t recall his name.

I keep thinking the same thing about Ghost—"He's been here only a few years."

As for Hoyer, he isn't starter level, so they might as well throw Stidham into the fire (unless they land an even better prospect in this year's draft).

You may have missed my bad humor attempt.  The one I can't recall -- his first name is Tom.

Haha, yeah, I did! Sorry. When you said "Can't recall his name," I thought, "Yeah, I can see why someone wouldn't remember Hoyer's name." =)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2020, 04:00:32 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Might as well try? Unless we go for a qb in the draft, Cam could take a "prove it" contract with the Pats.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2020, 04:05:41 PM »

Offline RJD1974

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 47
Ghost really was a good servant of the team. Routinely clutch for a decade or so. Besides his last 1.5 years you never thought he’d miss in the important stages.

Guess we’re tanking for Trevor Lawrence? Lol

This is where I'm at. We run it in this year with Stid, see what happens. The team still has a pretty outstanding defense, so if they don't trade them, I still see a 10-11 win team if they don't turn the ball over. And if they suck, they have a shot at the kid with the golden locks.

Either way, next year--and I'm not sure if everyone realizes this--they have 109m in cap room. That's a ton of space to get something done. Like, maybe bring in Watson? It's possible.

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2020, 04:16:48 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Might as well try? Unless we go for a qb in the draft, Cam could take a "prove it" contract with the Pats.

Can anyone get past the Cam Newton watch the ball on the ground and freeze move in Superbowl (whatever number it was)?

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2020, 06:05:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Does Cam seem like a guy who would want to play for a team like the Patriots?  I don't know the answer but he doesn't seem like a New England guy.  Just my gut instinct.

I think I'd rather just try to find a young guy to be the next answer at QB instead of trying retreads.

Cycling through other teams' leftovers is what teams like the Native-American-Slurs and the Browns do.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2020, 09:12:12 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Does Cam seem like a guy who would want to play for a team like the Patriots?  I don't know the answer but he doesn't seem like a New England guy.  Just my gut instinct.

I think I'd rather just try to find a young guy to be the next answer at QB instead of trying retreads.

Cycling through other teams' leftovers is what teams like the Native-American-Slurs and the Browns do.
I've been trying to picture him in the post game conferences dressed like a clown like he was doing last year.  I can't see that guy on the Patriots even if he thinks he'd like to play for them.

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2020, 06:16:57 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Tom Brady pitched himself to Bucs brass, Tampa Bay GM says

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28970452/tom-brady-pitched-bucs-brass-tampa-gm-says

- It didn't take much of a sales pitch from general manager Jason Licht and coach Bruce Arians to bring Tom Brady to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. In fact, it was Brady who did most of the talking.

Appearing on ESPN's Get Up on Monday, Licht told Mike Greenberg that in their first phone call with Brady on the first day of free agency -- March 18 -- Brady was actually the one selling them on why he should go to Tampa Bay. Prior to that time, during the legal tampering period, teams were only able to talk to player agents to get a feel for interest.

"We had a great conversation -- Bruce and I -- we talked to him for over an hour and a half. And he made it clear in the conversation that he was very, very interested," Licht said. "It was almost like a recruitment on his part, telling us why it would make sense for him to come to Tampa Bay. The next call we made, we signed him, but it was at that phone call that we realized, that we felt like we had him

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2020, 10:25:58 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28970452/tom-brady-pitched-bucs-brass-tampa-gm-says

- It didn't take much of a sales pitch from general manager Jason Licht and coach Bruce Arians to bring Tom Brady to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. In fact, it was Brady who did most of the talking.

Appearing on ESPN's Get Up on Monday, Licht told Mike Greenberg that in their first phone call with Brady on the first day of free agency -- March 18 -- Brady was actually the one selling them on why he should go to Tampa Bay. Prior to that time, during the legal tampering period, teams were only able to talk to player agents to get a feel for interest.

"We had a great conversation -- Bruce and I -- we talked to him for over an hour and a half. And he made it clear in the conversation that he was very, very interested," Licht said. "It was almost like a recruitment on his part, telling us why it would make sense for him to come to Tampa Bay. The next call we made, we signed him, but it was at that phone call that we realized, that we felt like we had him

Looks like he was already out that door after losing to the Titans in the wild card round.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2020, 10:32:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Looks like he was already out that door after losing to the Titans in the wild card round.
He was out the door over a year ago, after the Super Bowl win, when he asked that his new contract would have language that prevented the Pats from putting the franchise tag on him this off-season.

He knew this would assure him the ability to leave.

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2020, 01:04:09 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Part of me wants Tom to succeed in Tampa, part of me wants to see him crumble like a house of cards. Of course, I don't know all of the behind-the-scenes details between him and Bill, and maybe knowing those would change my opinion, but as it is, I just can't pull for the guy to be a big winner elsewhere.

As an aside: I still think "legal tampering period" is one of the dumbest phrases in the history of humankind.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2020, 10:45:58 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
With the Pats not offering enough and Tom embarrassingly trying to sell himself to a lesser franchise, this ended up being a pretty ugly divorce in the end.

With time, I am sure we will all get over it, but I am sure every Pats fan just wishes Tom retired instead.

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2020, 01:43:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
With the Pats not offering enough and Tom embarrassingly trying to sell himself to a lesser franchise, this ended up being a pretty ugly divorce in the end.

With time, I am sure we will all get over it, but I am sure every Pats fan just wishes Tom retired instead.

Also, there is going to be a real limited offseason because of Covid, this certainly doesn't help Tom learn a new playbook and get chemistry with receivers after 20 years in New England. Seems bad all around.

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2020, 05:32:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

My expectation is that Tom's time in Tampa will be moderately successful (i.e. they'll win more games and maybe win a playoff game), but will in the long run not be remembered by anybody except for TB fans (to the extent they exist).

Tom will always be remembered for what he did on the Pats and Bill will always be remembered for what he did with Tom as his QB.

The Pats might still be competitive and perhaps a bit more interesting the next few years as they transition from Brady and Bill tries to show what he can accomplish without Tom.  Even so, I expect that the next Pats team that seriously contends for a SB will be completely different than the current team, and will probably be built and coached up by somebody other than Belichick.

All of which is to say, I doubt the breakup or the immediate aftermath of same will matter much in the long run or change how we tell ourselves the story of these past couple decades of football.
- Mark Twain