Author Topic: Grant Williams(merged threads)  (Read 37137 times)

Re: When are we going to start talking about Grant Williams’ shooting?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2019, 10:31:05 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
he should be given the Glenn Davis treatment. (kinda the same player with low center of gravity on defence.

Pick n pop inside the arc because he does not have three point range.

Except BBD started chucking them 3’s later on. To quote Doc, “a three?!”
- LilRip

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2019, 11:26:13 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
he should be given the Glenn Davis treatment. (kinda the same player with low center of gravity on defence.

Lol, I'll never forget that game. It was against the Hornets (the New Orleans Hornets) and I think it was on New Year's Eve. The expression on Doc's face as he was looking at Glenn Davis was priceless.

That was back when it was absolutely unacceptable for every Tom, Dick and Harry to just launch 3s whenever they felt like it.

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
As for Grant, it seems like someone from the coaching staff needs to take him under his wing and show him how to improve his offensive game.

The guy is a rookie so some guidance is necessary.

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2019, 11:50:11 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Lol, I'll never forget that game. It was against the Hornets (the New Orleans Hornets) and I think it was on New Year's Eve. The expression on Doc's face as he was looking at Glenn Davis was priceless.

That was back when it was absolutely unacceptable for every Tom, Dick and Harry to just launch 3s whenever they felt like it.

I 'member that! LOL, that's was funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgooBsfXm1M
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I like Grant, but am not sure why he is seeing so many minutes early on. I guess the explanation is that he often used as a Center so when Theis/Time Lord return, he could see his minutes dwindle.

I know people around here have been raving about him and he is a great glue guy, but sometimes guys need more time to integrate into the NBA. I agree with gouki, too, that he operates best out of the high post.

I suspect the fact that the team has a 98.3 Defensive Rating with Grant on the floor (2nd only to Daniel Theis' 96.7 among the regulars) has a lot to do with the answer to that question.

He's doing a lot of things right that help the team.  He's still a rook.  The shooting will come around.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2019, 12:27:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Danny was looking for another " all team , all Heart dude " , to shore up the team cohesion in wake of destruction Kyrie left behind.   

Grant does most all the Marcus Smart things .

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2019, 12:52:59 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
When we start losing games because of his shooting.

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2019, 12:57:21 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Didnt like the pick then, dont like it now..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2019, 03:45:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Didnt like the pick then, dont like it now..
wasn't sure about it then but pretty satisfied with it now.  kid shows a high BBIQ and does a lot of the little things that help the team win.  when he starts scoring, he's going to look like a real steal in this draft

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2019, 03:53:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I do think its funny that he and Thybulle were traded for each other (and Carsen)

http://bkref.com/tiny/NKRrt

Neither guy has been able to find the bottom of the net much.

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2019, 04:02:12 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

I like Grant, but am not sure why he is seeing so many minutes early on. I guess the explanation is that he often used as a Center so when Theis/Time Lord return, he could see his minutes dwindle.

Maybe, but he was getting rotation minutes when those two were both available, including at the 5; and it’s not like those two need any load-management.

They’ve been using him in this really intriguing way: he’s the 5 in roughly the second 1/4 of the 4th Quarter - very interesting. Why?

I suspect the fact that the team has a 98.3 Defensive Rating with Grant on the floor (2nd only to Daniel Theis' 96.7 among the regulars) has a lot to do with the answer to that question.

I don’t love that stat, especially not for a 10-game sample, but he’s good enough at team defense that it seems to be reflected there already.

He's doing a lot of things right that help the team.  He's still a rook.  The shooting will come around.

I’m with you on this.

My advice to fans, fwiw: don’t get hung up on shooting %s, look at the whole game.

Btw, I don’t agree with some people on here who like his stroke.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2019, 04:06:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Btw, I don’t agree with some people on here who like his stroke.

He shot around 40% on threes in the preseason (12 attempts, but still), and shot around 37% in Summer League.  He put up 3-4 shots from outside in those games.

He also had a nice jumper in college, though he mostly attempted midrange shots.

I think there's plenty of reason to think he's going to hit three pointers in real games eventually.  Probably soon.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2019, 04:08:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I do think its funny that he and Thybulle were traded for each other (and Carsen)

Grant wasn’t traded for Thybulle.  The Celtics got pick 24 and the pick which became Carsen, and traded pick 24 to Phoenix.  Grant was selected at 22 with our own pick.

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2019, 04:16:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Grant wasn’t traded for Thybulle.  The Celtics got pick 24 and the pick which became Carsen, and traded pick 24 to Phoenix.  Grant was selected at 22 with our own pick.

I can see the confusion, though. Thybulle was taken with the 20th pick that we sent to PHI, but would we have still taken Grant at #20 or would we have taken Thybulle (or...Brandon Clarke...bummer)? Glad we were able to get Carsen out of the deal, though.

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2019, 04:21:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I thought it was the other way around with the picks *shrug*.

I do think the trifecta of Brandon Clarke, Thybulle, and Williams will be interesting to track. Clarke has looked good in Memphis too.