Author Topic: For those that question the excitement of soccer, think about this  (Read 10308 times)

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
In playoff soccer every game is a game 7. Think about that.

Re: For those that question the excitement of soccer, think about this
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 08:08:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The typical scheme for soccer playoffs is tow games with alternating home court. So not really I guess.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 08:10:08 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I played soccer through junior high and high school, so it's not like I dislike the sport, but I still haven't been able to get on the train when it comes to viewing soccer as an exciting sport. It's like watching 20 Marcus Smarts flopping all over the place.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 08:15:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I find extremely high level soccer (World Cup Finals, Champions League, etc.) to be incredibly entertaining. But poor soccer is one of the most boring things to watch for me. More often than not boring soccer is on TV.

I do like watching the World Cup, even if my nation is routinely useless
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 08:20:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
The typical scheme for soccer playoffs is tow games with alternating home court. So not really I guess.

actually the typical scheme is one game and you are done, there has been some diversion from this for league play but in what they call ‘knock-out’ competition it is one game.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 08:23:22 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I think of soccer like I think about baseball.  I grew up with baseball, watching it and playing it.  I understand the finer points and enjoy watching it, but I understand why people who didn't grow up with find it boring.  I think it's the same thing with soccer.  I get bored watching people kicking the ball back and forth while fans are totally excited.  I've tried to give it a chance, but to no avail.

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 08:45:50 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Yep. In most knockout tournaments after the group stage, this is what happens.

What makes it interesting though is that the away goals count as two goals. Now that messes up a club.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 08:48:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

actually the typical scheme is one game and you are done, there has been some diversion from this for league play but in what they call ‘knock-out’ competition it is one game.

In the world competition, it's the format.

In association football, a "tie" is to be played in two legs, with whoever has the most aggregate score after the two legs advance. It then becomes one game for all the marbles for the Final, which is usually on neutral ground unless a club is lucky enough to be playing for that city.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 09:07:41 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

In the world competition, it's the format.

In association football, a "tie" is to be played in two legs, with whoever has the most aggregate score after the two legs advance. It then becomes one game for all the marbles for the Final, which is usually on neutral ground unless a club is lucky enough to be playing for that city.

Is the FA cup played in two legs before the final?

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 01:31:46 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

It's a mix depending on the tournament / league. Champions league for example is 2 legs once you reach the knockout stage. Same in the playoffs in English leagues when fighting for promotion. The final is always one match. Tournaments tend to be one and done.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 02:07:58 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Even though HK and China are both trash, I still like watching football, especially the PL and CL.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 02:26:44 AM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
Excitement?  Like when they play for 3 hours and nobody scores, so they just end the game in a tie?  That kind of excitement?  Would rather watch water evaporate - it's much more fast paced. 
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 10:30:27 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Excitement?  Like when they play for 3 hours and nobody scores, so they just end the game in a tie?  That kind of excitement?  Would rather watch water evaporate - it's much more fast paced.

You see, I get this argument but I also hate it. It's like instant gratification is the only important thing in sports, which is what American sports are based on. But there is so much more to a sport than that. Even in basketball, if two teams chuck up bricks the entire night, there can still be beauty in the sets they run to get open looks or the defensive tenacity on display. It isn't all about the scoreline moving.

Similarly in football (soccer..), there is beauty in the rapid counter attacks, the fingertip saves, sublime passing, one twos around defenders. The fact that not every attack ends in a score is a good thing. A goal is such a big moment because it is rare. If the score ended 23-22 the fans would just be screaming for their defence to get a grip!

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 10:34:44 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I've always wondered why people who think soccer is boring are "excited" by a basketball game that's tied with two minutes left. They've just watched 46 largely meaningless minutes that stretched for a couple of hours.

Also, soccer games don't last three hours and have a guaranteed turnaround of 90 minutes (plus injury time which is typically less than 10 min total).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 10:41:53 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Similarly in football (soccer..), there is beauty in the rapid counter attacks, the fingertip saves, sublime passing, one twos around defenders. The fact that not every attack ends in a score is a good thing. A goal is such a big moment because it is rare. If the score ended 23-22 the fans would just be screaming for their defence to get a grip!
Much like everything else, this is an acquired taste. Unless you know what to look for, soccer will just be simple kicking of the ball around.

You can talk to any European about pulling the baseball, batting for average, sacrifice flies, and opposite field home runs -- but I guarantee you that all they see is a dude hacking at a ball and hoping that it falls on the ground or clears the fence.