Author Topic: NFL 2023-24 Off-Season  (Read 61811 times)

Re: NFL 2023-24 Off-Season
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2024, 07:44:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Turnarounds from a bottom dweller to a playoff team can happen pretty fast.  Pats have a last place schedule for 2024,  over $85 million of cap room (potentially $100 million), and strong draft capital.  That's a pretty decent recipe to start turning things around.   Defense should still be a strength. Pats have some potential here to have a respectable 2024 season.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2024, 07:54:29 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2553
Turnarounds from a bottom dweller to a playoff team can happen pretty fast.  Pats have a last place schedule for 2024,  over $85 million of cap room (potentially $100 million), and strong draft capital.  That's a pretty decent recipe to start turning things around.   Defense should still be a strength. Pats have some potential here to have a respectable 2024 season.

To a playoff contender, yes. But a SB contender? If it happens in less than 3 years it will be amazing.  Not impossible, but really unlikely.  And… you don’t get there without stars - and one at QB.  Currently the pats are pretty much starless.

« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2024, 08:13:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558

To a playoff contender, yes. But a SB contender? If it happens in less than 3 years it will be amazing.  Not impossible, but really unlikely.  And… you don’t get there without stars - and one at QB.  Currently the pats are pretty much starless.
Yeah, the most recent example of a really bad team making the Superbowl is the Bengals and they did it by drafting a QB at 1 and then adding a high level WR the next year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2024, 08:19:22 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1467

Also have to keep in mind that a good amount of the cap space is likely going towards retaining FA players such as: Onwenu, Dugger, Uche, Trent Brown, Hunter Henry, Bourne, Zeke, etc.

I’d imagine Onwenu alone is going to take a decent chunk of that cap space.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 09:25:01 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2024, 08:40:23 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1013
Chiefs have released WR MVS.

Patriots should go after him since he has two rings already and helped the Chiefs a lot

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2024, 08:46:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Of course, a lot more would need to be done to be a SB contender but increasing their win output by 5 or 6 wins to get a playoff berth isn’t outside the realm of possibility.

« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2024, 11:08:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Chiefs have released WR MVS.

Patriots should go after him since he has two rings already and helped the Chiefs a lot
No they shouldn't.  He isn't good. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #112 on: February 29, 2024, 12:19:28 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1396

Also have to keep in mind that a good amount of the cap space is likely going towards retaining FA players such as: Onwenu, Dugger, Uche, Trent Brown, Hunter Henry, Bourne, Zeke, etc.

I’d imagine Onwenu alone is going to take a decent chunk of that cap space.

Really doubt half these guys are back. Zeke cost 3 million last year and would be even Cheaper this year. We massively overpaid Hunter Henry the last couple of seasons. Can probably draft a replacement for him on second day of draft if they want. Brown  seemed disgruntled and doubt he will be back. Tough to know the market for Bourne coming off a serious injury.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 12:27:58 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #113 on: February 29, 2024, 10:28:59 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Brady just ran a faster 40 at the age of 46 than he did at the 2000 combine.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1763208114092880164

« Reply #114 on: February 29, 2024, 11:38:26 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93

His form is certainly a lot better now. It looks like someone’s coached him at some point. I’ve never seen his combine run before, but it’s no surprise he’s slow, running like an 8th grade spaz instead of an elite athlete.

Of course some will say it’s PEDs.

« Reply #115 on: February 29, 2024, 11:45:11 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3029
  • On To Banner 18!
One mock draft (CBS) actually has NE trading down from #3 to #8 with Atlanta, and taking JJ McCarthy.

Barf.  :(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #116 on: February 29, 2024, 11:46:36 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
One mock draft (CBS) actually has NE trading down from #3 to #8 with Atlanta, and taking JJ McCarthy.

You really don’t know JJ McCarthy, it’s clear about that.  He’s going to win a Super Bowl in his career.  Will it be with the Pats?  Who knows.

« Reply #117 on: February 29, 2024, 11:47:23 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

His form is certainly a lot better now. It looks like someone’s coached him at some point. I’ve never seen his combine run before, but it’s no surprise he’s slow, running like an 8th grade spaz instead of an elite athlete.

Pliability goes a long way. Changing habits & nutrition.  Form definitely improved there.

Running is a weird sport.  I run half marathons faster in my 40s than I did in my 30s.  And I've been a regular runner since my late 20s. 

« Reply #118 on: February 29, 2024, 12:32:41 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2553

Pliability goes a long way. Changing habits & nutrition.  Form definitely improved there.

Running is a weird sport.  I run half marathons faster in my 40s than I did in my 30s.  And I've been a regular runner since my late 20s.

It’s a lot of effort and, well, time will catch up to all of us eventually.  I can’t run at all due to a strange muscle thing above my right thigh.  Can’t participate in any sport as a result (unless you consider golf a sport). I do walk 3 miles a day though - pain free. Anyway, I’ve never been concerned about being in top physical shape and maybe that’s why I have this issue now. Or maybe everyone’s body is different - nature and nurture each having their say. I think Tom probably hit the jackpot naturally and is also maximizing his good body fortune by staying in top condition. It also seems (have to find a negative) that he expends an awful lot of time and effort focused on his body.  My guess is that ideal balance is somewhere between him and me.

« Reply #119 on: February 29, 2024, 12:32:47 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886

You really don’t know JJ McCarthy, it’s clear about that.  He’s going to win a Super Bowl in his career.  Will it be with the Pats?  Who knows.

I would say the range on JJ McCarthy is anything from Mac Jones to Justin Herbert, so roll your dice if you want.  But you are rolling your dice with any QB pick.  Any QB you pick could be Zach Wilson or could be Patrick Mahomes.  Based on history, even the best scouts, coaches, GMs don't know what QBs are going to be good.  The 49ers traded the farm to move up to draft Trey Lance.  The Patriots got Tom Brady in the 6th Round.  That is the variability you are dealing with when drafting QBs.

The Patriots are 1 for 1 when drafting Michigan QBs so I guess there is that.  I would say that there is less risk in trading back and still getting McCarthy as you end up with additional picks.  So if McCarthy is a bust, at least you have the other picks.  If you take say Daniels, and he busts, you have nothing.