Author Topic: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary  (Read 58992 times)

Re: Al Horford has been mediocre. He doesnt deserve his salary
« Reply #420 on: May 27, 2018, 10:34:32 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If he farts around Celtics will loose game 7

« Reply #421 on: May 27, 2018, 11:14:52 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
At least if Horford tanks game 7 team can trade him and not catch heat.

Why would we want to trade him?

He’s elite at defense, passing and floor spacing.
He disappears too often in all phases of the game. He just doesn't play with energy enough. Hate to say it's age because he isn't that old. But maybe he has too many miles.

« Reply #422 on: May 27, 2018, 12:02:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
These double teams by Cleveland have been interesting. Horford is such a good passer, the Celtics should be destroying the Cavaliers on this but Horford isn't reacting fast enough. He's not used ot be doubled this way. He has to make quicker decisions when he sees the double coming and everyone else has to be making better cuts (Jaylen is the only one really taking advantage and moving off the ball).

I'm not understanding why the double teams are causing so many problems, especially for a guy who's such a good passer. He must've seen double teams before during his long career, right? You see a double team coming, you find the open man—because there's almost always an open man. Maybe his teammates weren't cutting to open spots like they should've been? I just don't think this should be the total brain scrambler it obviously was to Al.
In game 5 it was a new wrinkle, they'd been playing it one on one till then.

Then in game 6 the other C's weren't cutting iirc on the first few doubles. After the next time out we saw Brown and others get layups or open 3s off the doubles. Just took Horford a bit to adjust. The Cavs did a good job of varying the timing and positioning of the double as well.

« Reply #423 on: May 27, 2018, 12:04:55 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
These double teams by Cleveland have been interesting. Horford is such a good passer, the Celtics should be destroying the Cavaliers on this but Horford isn't reacting fast enough. He's not used ot be doubled this way. He has to make quicker decisions when he sees the double coming and everyone else has to be making better cuts (Jaylen is the only one really taking advantage and moving off the ball).

I'm not understanding why the double teams are causing so many problems, especially for a guy who's such a good passer. He must've seen double teams before during his long career, right? You see a double team coming, you find the open man—because there's almost always an open man. Maybe his teammates weren't cutting to open spots like they should've been? I just don't think this should be the total brain scrambler it obviously was to Al.

Then in game 6 the other C's weren't cutting iirc on the first few doubles. After the next time out we saw Brown and others get layups or open 3s off the doubles. Just took Horford a bit to adjust. The Cavs did a good job of varying the timing and positioning of the double as well.

I think the timing of the double was the most interesting thing the Cavs did. Al knew the double was coming, so he'd face up and wait for the second defender to commit so he could pass the ball. However, Cleveland would wait 5 or 6 seconds before the double started, burning almost a quarter of the shot clock and eliminating the possibility of four or five passes for a layup. That's where you saw lots of rushed, off-balance drives late in the shot clock. Al tried to adjust by attacking his defender, but, when he spun, the double would already be there, putting him in an uncomfortable position and leading to turnovers/shot clock violations.

« Reply #424 on: May 27, 2018, 12:08:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
At least if Horford tanks game 7 team can trade him and not catch heat.

Why would we want to trade him?

He’s elite at defense, passing and floor spacing.
He disappears too often in all phases of the game. He just doesn't play with energy enough. Hate to say it's age because he isn't that old. But maybe he has too many miles.
He's not a go to scorer.  Never has been his entire career. If you think that means he's not an immensely valuable player I don't know what to tell you.

We just see basketball differently.

« Reply #425 on: May 27, 2018, 12:10:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think the timing of the double was the most interesting thing the Cavs did. Al knew the double was coming, so he'd face up and wait for the second defender to commit so he could pass the ball. However, Cleveland would wait 5 or 6 seconds before the double started, burning almost a quarter of the shot clock and eliminating the possibility of four or five passes for a layup. That's where you saw lots of rushed, off-balance drives late in the shot clock. Al tried to adjust by attacking his defender, but, when he spun, the double would already be there, putting him in an uncomfortable position and leading to turnovers/shot clock violations.
Yeah I don't think Ty Lue is a good head coach, but I do think he does a good job of putting together specific defensive attacks like the Big Al doubles and trapping of Oladipo.

Too bad the Cavs barely try most games.

« Reply #426 on: May 27, 2018, 12:40:57 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
need AL to come out with KG energy tonight.

« Reply #427 on: May 27, 2018, 12:47:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Good point. Which means as soon as he gets ball he needs to attack to trigger double team sooner. And team needs to feed him early in the set.

« Reply #428 on: May 27, 2018, 12:53:48 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Good point. Which means as soon as he gets ball he needs to attack to trigger double team sooner. And team needs to feed him early in the set.

It seems to me that since they have doubled Al he has gotten flustered and either gets tied up, turns the ball over or he gets a 24-second violation. He has to be prepared to look and find the open guy right away. If that happens and the ball swings it will kill their double teams.

« Reply #429 on: May 27, 2018, 01:14:04 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up

I thought he was taking way to long to make a move for all those double teams. Most of the time he had George hill on him and would wait 5 or 6 seconds and then the double would come. If u got hill on ur back as soon as u get the ball RIP through and drive to the bucket. Not that hard and he had been doing that most of the time up til game 6. Idk what changed
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #430 on: May 27, 2018, 01:21:07 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I feel like we need to run more actions off Brown and Tatum.  That way the Cavs will just be wasting time and energy on Horford.  As long as he spaces the floor well, he will open things up for our other guys to score.

« Reply #431 on: May 27, 2018, 08:32:18 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Regardless of what happens in game 7, Horford has been worth every penny of his contract in his two season with us.  I'm as frustrated as anyone with his dismal game 6 performance, but that doesn't diminish what he's done for us.

We reached the ECF last year with a team with lots of weaknesses.  We could very well have been knocked out of the 1st round against the Bulls without Horford.

This season he's been healthy for the most part, and has been the stabilizing force that helped us to win as many games as we did (to secure home court advantage) despite all of the key injuries we've suffered.  He was great against the Bucks in the first round - a series we'd have lost without his solid play.  He came up big in game 7.  He's a primary reason why we made "the process" look overhyped despite everyone counting the C's out.  And now we have a chance to advance to the finals, something that not even the most optimistic C's fan would have predicted given how shorthanded we are.

I could go on and on about what he does for us - leadership, defensive versatility, intangibles on the court, etc.  But I think two ECFs in a row speaks for itself.

« Reply #432 on: May 27, 2018, 08:37:03 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
PS - don't make me look like a jerk Al.  You better play well tonight.

« Reply #433 on: May 27, 2018, 09:24:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Go AL!

« Reply #434 on: May 27, 2018, 11:38:46 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
He had the lowest amount of rebounds in game seven out of all of our starters-He did not assert himself like I had hoped for-Good complimentary piece who will never carey his team in game sevens of finals or ecf vs Lebron or Embiid—-good complimentary piece-