Author Topic: I think LeBron James is now over Michael Jordan  (Read 7373 times)

Re: I think LeBron James is now over Michael Jordan
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
We'll see if Lebron ends up with six titles, even without taking off two years in his prime.

Can you imagine what the story line would be like if the Spurs didn't choke away a NBA Championship in Game 6?

Especially the way he played in the last 2 minutes?...

Ray Allen saved this dude's legacy as far as the MJ comparisons are concerned. If Spurs win game 6 this is never a topic of discussion again.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: I think La Bron James is now over Michael Jordan
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595
I mean obviously that's nonsense.  Jordan won 6 titles and was dominant.  We have to see how the rest of LeBron's career pans out.

That said... compare their resumes at age 28.  Do it.  LeBron with his 4 MVPs, 4 titles appearances, 2 titles... it compares favorably.

If someone were to tell me they'd rather have 28 year old LeBron over 28 year old JOrdan... I wouldn't fault them for it.

Fwiw, Kobe's resume at age 28 was pretty darn impressive too... but he was carried by Shaq.  LeBron is carrying his sidekicks.

MJ had to wait for Bird and Magic to basically move over. I guess Isaiah's teams too. LeBron basically folded against Howard, Rondo, and Dirk...

I disagree with the Jordan part, saying he had to wait for the others to move over, he pushed them out the way and knocked them down! Jordan definitely earned his spot on the top of the mountain by taking out the defending champion Pistons with a 29 year old Isisah Thomas, and then taking out the only other team to win a championship in the prior 4 years by taking out the Lakers led by 31 year old Magic Johnson.  Those guys were still very much in their primes.  It's not like Jordan didn't win until Bird, Magic, and Isiah all retired, he took the championship from them.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 09:36:32 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595
We'll see if Lebron ends up with six titles, even without taking off two years in his prime.

Can you imagine what the story line would be like if the Spurs didn't choke away a NBA Championship in Game 6?

Ray Allen saved this dude's legacy as far as the MJ comparisons are concerned. If Spurs win game 6 this is never a topic of discussion again.

It goes both ways though.  What if the Blazers didn't blow a 15 point 4th quarter lead to lose the '92 Finals, what if John Paxson didn't hit the game winning 3 to win the '93 Finals, what if Rodman didn't play like a Finals MVP in '96 (he was robbed!), what if Karl Malone didn't brick key free throws, Shandon Anderson didn't miss layups, or Steve Kerr didn't hit that game winning 3 in '97, what if the refs called Jordan for pushing off on Byron Russell in '98?

Everybody's legacy had help.

Lol, last 2 posts of mine I'm disagreeing with you Kane, nothing personal just trying to add to the conversation, have a TP as a peace offering  ;)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2013, 09:54:49 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

It goes both ways though.  What if the Blazers didn't blow a 15 point 4th quarter lead to lose the '92 Finals, what if John Paxson didn't hit the game winning 3 to win the '93 Finals, what if Rodman didn't play like a Finals MVP in '96 (he was robbed!), what if Karl Malone didn't brick key free throws, Shandon Anderson didn't miss layups, or Steve Kerr didn't hit that game winning 3 in '97, what if the refs called Jordan for pushing off on Byron Russell in '98?

Everybody's legacy had help.

Lol, last 2 posts of mine I'm disagreeing with you Kane, nothing personal just trying to add to the conversation, have a TP as a peace offering  ;)

It's all good lol.

I know Jordan ran those others over. My point was that Jordan had much tougher competition to go through and he did it. He beat legends near their prime. The only legend LeBron defeated is a 37 year old Duncan.

True LeBron had to play the hand he was dealt, but he never beat a fully healthy Celtic's team stacked with Legends.

Jordan's road was tougher in my opinion.

As for all those what-ifs. We're talking about maybe the  biggest choke job ever in game 6. Up 5 with 26 seconds left? 26 seconds away from a title? From clinching it and you're up 5!
It was a miracle the way that game ended in for the HEat and you might not ever see that outcome under those circumstances again.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2013, 10:06:28 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
LeBron James is now over Michael Jordan ? Noooo

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2013, 10:07:22 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
If it was more difficult to win championships in Jordan's era, then MJ would have surely lost in the Finals, at least once.

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2013, 10:08:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
you would be very wrong my friend.

MJ.  has no peer.

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2013, 10:15:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
you would be very wrong my friend.

MJ.  has no peer.

Start with Bird and Magic, then work your way back in time. I'd have taken either of them in their prime over Jordan, and I'm not particularly fond of Magic (or pretty much any Laker).

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2013, 10:18:32 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
No way ... LeBron is no Michael.

(Plus, Mike did it without HGH).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2013, 10:37:05 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
LeBron is the best player of this era. Who knows how many more championships he can win. He's also ultra talented, maybe more talented then Jordan (basketball wise).

But with that said, 6 Finals, 6 wins, 6 Finals MVP's. That right there should kill the discussion if he's over Jordan or not.

No freak'n way Lebron in more talented "basketball" wise. NO WAY!

Jordan had every shot, even became a half way decent 3 point shooter near the end. His BB IQ way higher.

LeBron is big and strong. ITs what makes him look athletic. He's 6'8" to Jordans 6'6", some say he was even as short as 6'4", had to go against bigger PF's and C's, and better ones as well. Lebron Fullbacks his way to the paint. Jordan flew in between or over people.

Jordan could turn it on when ever. During the Olympics he was taunted during a scrimmage and he took it to the best. We're talking Magic,Barkley,Robinson etc. And won.

If it wasn't for Lebrons size he'd be an average player.

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2013, 10:46:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
LeBron is the best player of this era. Who knows how many more championships he can win. He's also ultra talented, maybe more talented then Jordan (basketball wise).

But with that said, 6 Finals, 6 wins, 6 Finals MVP's. That right there should kill the discussion if he's over Jordan or not.

No freak'n way Lebron in more talented "basketball" wise. NO WAY!

Jordan had every shot, even became a half way decent 3 point shooter near the end. His BB IQ way higher.

LeBron is big and strong. ITs what makes him look athletic. He's 6'8" to Jordans 6'6", some say he was even as short as 6'4", had to go against bigger PF's and C's, and better ones as well. Lebron Fullbacks his way to the paint. Jordan flew in between or over people.

Jordan could turn it on when ever. During the Olympics he was taunted during a scrimmage and he took it to the best. We're talking Magic,Barkley,Robinson etc. And won.

If it wasn't for Lebrons size he'd be an average player.

I'd say their BBIQs are fairly similar. MJ was a better scorer, LeBron's clearly a better rebounder and *maybe* a better passer. Also, when MJ played, I'm pretty sure the illegal defense rules made it easier to pull an opponent's center away from the basket, so he went up against centers at times but not a ton.

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2013, 10:53:43 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
LeBron lacks fan appeal. I might not have been alive when MJ was dominating, but EVERYBODY knew him. A blind rural wheat farmer in northeastern Tupanciretã knew who Michael Jordan was.

Who the heck is LeBron? Jordan revolutionized America, heck the world, god dang it. Without him, LeBron is a nothing. He ain't nobody!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"