Author Topic: Should we go after Marc Gasol?  (Read 4812 times)

Re: Should we go after Marc Gasol?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 05:26:01 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Smart, Baynes, Yabu ... I guess. 

I don't know why Memphis would bother.
give them back their pick.  that was basically my proposal earlier in the thread.

They're gonna trade the most beloved player in franchise history for Marcus smart and a late lottery pick?
If Gasol is telling them he wants to be traded and will opt out if he has to, they'd be stupid not to.  Of course they were stupid not to trade Evans at the trade deadline last season even if they could only get a couple 2nds. 

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2019, 05:51:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

give them back their pick.  that was basically my proposal earlier in the thread.

They're gonna trade the most beloved player in franchise history for Marcus smart and a late lottery pick?
If Gasol is telling them he wants to be traded and will opt out if he has to, they'd be stupid not to.  Of course they were stupid not to trade Evans at the trade deadline last season even if they could only get a couple 2nds.

As usual I think fans in places like Boston tend to forget to consider this type of thing from the perspective of a small market team that lacks of a deep history of great players.

The Grizz can't afford -- literally can't afford in $$ terms -- to disillusion their fanbase.

Trading away Marc Gasol for what would likely look like a relatively uninspiring return, regardless of the context, might very well do that.

I think they'd be better off letting him leave on his own terms, honestly.

So unless there's a report out saying Gasol has requested a trade to a contender, or something like that, I don't see it happening.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2019, 05:54:34 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

As usual I think fans in places like Boston tend to forget to consider this type of thing from the perspective of a small market team that lacks of a deep history of great players.

The Grizz can't afford -- literally can't afford in $$ terms -- to disillusion their fanbase.

Trading away Marc Gasol for what would likely look like a relatively uninspiring return, regardless of the context, might very well do that.

So unless there's a report out saying Gasol has requested a trade to a contender, or something like that, I don't see it happening.

Can't tell you how many "Smart, Baynes, Yabu, Rozier" trade posts I've seen (lol.)

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2019, 06:19:17 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983

Can't tell you how many "Smart, Baynes, Yabu, Rozier" trade posts I've seen (lol.)
Yea a lot of those posts are mine lol I just think that's the most fair trade if we were to go after gasol.

I love gasol and Conley for that matter prly 2 favorite non celtic players. I understand it could tear fans up to see him go but.....
1. Wouldn't they like for him to have a chance to contend for a ring.. Like we did with kg n pierce? Or just hang on to him and watch him age?
2. Memphis has to know they r not going anywhere in the stacked west.
3. They should blow it up now and tank while their pick is protected instead of tanking after gasol is on last leg in two years and prly lose the pick. Ist it better to have 2 top 5 picks then lose pick then to have 2 late lotto picks and then lose a high pick when gasol is toast?

**I have to say I don't really want to trade smart but Marc gasol is bout the only guy I'd trade him for

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2019, 06:38:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’d love to have Marc Gasol here. He’s been one of my favourite players for a while, and I could easily see him averaging 16/8/5 with excellent defence under CBS.

However, it is a lot to give up (a package of Smart, TRo, Yabu & picks, or whatever it was).
Smart is no mere throw in, and is having a career shooting year. Giving him up for a big in his mid 30’s would hurt a lot
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2019, 09:03:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

how do you know where that pick ends up in 2021?  What it does for Memphis and no other team is it allows them to fully tank and actually reap the rewards of that tank no matter when the payoff is.  I also gave them our 1st, so they get their own pick, a pick in the 20's, a solid defensive oriented guard, an expiring contract, and a young flyer.  You are the first person in this thread that thinks Memphis wouldn't do that as everyone else is claiming that Boston is giving up way too much.  A few others after you have your opinion which probably says it is a reasonable trade from a value perspective since people are falling on both sides of that. 

Gasol is on the block allegedly, what do you think they are going to get for him?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2019, 09:21:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Would Marc Gasol lead to diminished returns from Al Horford in terms of playmaking? Is there enough space for two bigs to fully utilize both player's passing ability in today's game?

It would be awesome 10 years ago (like Vlade and C-Webb) but I don't know how well it would work today. In the 1 in 4 out system of today. they would both want the same spots on the floor. I think the majority of one player's passing opportunities would come at the expense of the other. That there would be significant diminished returns.

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2019, 09:25:42 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 134
The next trade needs to be for chemistry. Addition by subtraction..

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2019, 09:38:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

how do you know where that pick ends up in 2021?  What it does for Memphis and no other team is it allows them to fully tank and actually reap the rewards of that tank no matter when the payoff is.  I also gave them our 1st, so they get their own pick, a pick in the 20's, a solid defensive oriented guard, an expiring contract, and a young flyer.  You are the first person in this thread that thinks Memphis wouldn't do that as everyone else is claiming that Boston is giving up way too much.  A few others after you have your opinion which probably says it is a reasonable trade from a value perspective since people are falling on both sides of that. 

Gasol is on the block allegedly, what do you think they are going to get for him?

It's not so much about what they maybe could get for him, it's about what trading him for less than an exciting return would do to their fanbase.

If you're the Grizz, is it worth p---ing off your loyal but small-market fanbase just so you can get Marcus Smart and a decent-not-great lottery pick?

I don't think the Grizz can afford to trade Marc for a package that doesn't bring back something the Grizz fans could be excited about.  Since it seems unlikely that they're going to get an offer that meets that criteria, my guess is he stays there until his deal runs out unless he publicly requests a trade and they oblige by trading him where he asks to go.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2019, 02:31:16 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

And they gave up two good 2nds for an expiring Justin Holiday
Mind-boggling

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2019, 04:37:45 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I dont think i would trade smart for gasol honestly.

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2019, 05:59:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
i dit ent realize the man was 34

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2019, 06:02:24 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
i dit ent realize the man was 34

Yeah, attendance steadily declining in rank I think
time for them to rebuild around Jaren Jackson and future picks

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2019, 06:02:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
The next trade needs to be for chemistry. Addition by subtraction..

dump Rozier and go fetch Larkin  from Turkey ASAP

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2019, 06:12:48 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Didn't Gasol get his coach fired last year. That is certainly not what we need in this locker room plus we would have to gut the team to get him and probably after all said and done we would not be as good.

Forget Gasol but Vucevic could be an answer without giving away the farm.