Author Topic: Anyone from or know the Atlanta/Marietta region?  (Read 4244 times)

Anyone from or know the Atlanta/Marietta region?
« on: January 12, 2019, 01:20:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Hey All,

In need of any information that folks here can offer. When I originally moved to Cleveland for my fellowship, I got a lot of good information from folks that live here or know the place well. Hoping for the same this time around - of course being incentivized by a generous stipend of TPs!  ;D

I recently accepted a position (my first big boy professional position - no more graduate research assistant or postdoc fellow salaries!) at a large health system in Georgia that’s based in the Atlanta/Marietta area. I’ll primarily be based in Marietta, but will travel one week or so a month to consult at our other hospitals in the Atlanta area, primarily north of the city.

We’re currently looking for housing (rent for at least a year before buying) within a decent commute to Marietta in the northern and western suburbs, e.g. Kennesaw, Ackworth, Powder Springs, etc.

Any advice on places to look with good schools, safe neighborhoods, etc.? Any benefit to living in Cobb County over Fulton County? Any other useful information I might benefit from knowing? Any help is appreciated!

Re: Anyone from or know the Atlanta/Marietta region?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 08:30:14 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 09:02:48 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I’ve been in the area. Marietta is nice, but pricey. Traffic is heavy.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:39:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
they are in georgia.

so, do i get tps?

;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 09:46:59 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
they are in georgia.

so, do i get tps?

;D

Here's one for trying!

I thought for sure that we had at least one person from that area on here. Forgot who it was, though.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 09:47:41 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I’ve been in the area. Marietta is nice, but pricey. Traffic is heavy.

Yeah, I've heard the traffic is terrible, though I was hoping that being up north of Atlanta and not actually in the city would help that.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 02:33:09 PM »

Offline Quatary

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Congratulations with your new work and moving to a new place. You can find a lot of information on Marietta on official website https://www.exploregeorgia.org/city/marietta

We’re currently looking for housing (rent for at least a year before buying) within a decent commute to Marietta in the northern and western suburbs, e.g. Kennesaw, Ackworth, Powder Springs, etc.

Any advice on places to look with good schools, safe neighborhoods, etc.? Any benefit to living in Cobb County over Fulton County? Any other useful information I might benefit from knowing? Any help is appreciated!

Regarding accommodation there are a lot of options of property for rent in Atlanta. I personally prefer
 Chattahoochee Plantation but it might be expensive. All depends on your budget.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 02:37:02 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Stay in Cleveland!

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 04:39:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Congrats jpotter - that's got to be exciting!

A number of years back, I spent a few months in Atlanta. Being north of the city won't help with traffic because of the Connector - too many Interstates coming together and the MARTA could be better.

The northern part of the region is quite nice - looks like you will be more northwest, which should make life a little more peaceful. In the city, I have some negative memories of crime and law enforcement, but that was just me and it was years ago. It is definitely a different city than Cleveland, but if you go in with a positive attitude, you should really enjoy the southern history and culture. Midtown (and Piedmont Park) is a really cool artsy place to hang out and Buckhead is a little 'ritzier' and offers good shopping and dining. Downtown isn't necessarily all that, but tickets to basketball/Cs games are super-cheap!

Anyway, I know I wasn't of much help (it's been a while for me), but figured I would wish you luck on your new endeavors and also keep the thread current  ;D