Author Topic: Accounting - Taxation vs Audit  (Read 1868 times)

Accounting - Taxation vs Audit
« on: December 20, 2018, 11:00:21 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

My daughter is entering her Senior year at the University.  She is an Accounting major with a minor in Law.  She is sort of a "homebody", friendly but shy. She has interest in the Forensics side of Accounting.  She will be 22 yrs old with CPA and MAcc by the time she starts working.  We live in a small/midsize city and she plans to stay in the area.

I am sure we have several accountants in this community; and would like your take.

Taxation vs Audit.  Jobs  opportunities? Better fit? AI impact on either? Thoughts?

Re: Accounting - Taxation vs Audit
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 11:10:39 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

My daughter is entering her Senior year at the University.  She is an Accounting major with a minor in Law.  She is sort of a "homebody", friendly but shy. She has interest in the Forensics side of Accounting.  She will be 22 yrs old with CPA and MAcc by the time she starts working.  We live in a small/midsize city and she plans to stay in the area.

I am sure we have several accountants in this community; and would like your take.

Taxation vs Audit.  Jobs  opportunities? Better fit? AI impact on either? Thoughts?

CPA. MST.  Work in public on the tax side here.

If she can't get into forensic accounting right away, I think she would be better served starting her career in audit if she wants to go on that career path towards forensic accounting.  I think the skills she would learn there would make her more desirable once she does start looking to get into forensic.  Is she considering starting off in public accounting? Does she have a willingness to travel?  One thing I like about tax side is that I don't travel.  Audit side travels quite a bit.  Certainly a big consideration there. 

That's great that she'll have her CPA by the time she starts working. 

I can certainly talk up the tax side if you'd like.  I just think if she has a real genuine interest in forensic and can't break into that field right away, I think audit would be the better path to start.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 11:18:32 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff

CPA. MST.  Work in public on the tax side here.

If she can't get into forensic accounting right away, I think she would be better served starting her career in audit if she wants to go on that career path towards forensic accounting.  I think the skills she would learn there would make her more desirable once she does start looking to get into forensic.  Is she considering starting off in public accounting? Does she have a willingness to travel?  One thing I like about tax side is that I don't travel.  Audit side travels quite a bit.  Certainly a big consideration there. 

That's great that she'll have her CPA by the time she starts working. 

I can certainly talk up the tax side if you'd like.  I just think if she has a real genuine interest in forensic and can't break into that field right away, I think audit would be the better path to start.

I appreciate your take. 
Yep, I am a bit concerned for her - about the travel. 
She will take her first Taxation class in the spring. She will take Audit class in fall 2019; her last semester.....and so she doesn't know about how she likes taxation. 

Is it hard to switch from Taxation to Audit or vice-versa, once you start working?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:24:43 AM by coco »

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 11:40:42 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

How is this possible? I mean I guess its possible but I've never heard of this. I had to take extra courses just to reach the credit minimum. Was also an accounting major at a well-known business school in New England and NOBODY I knew was leaving school with the CPA already started. The smartest kids already had jobs waiting and went back to the CPA after a few years.

But I guess Sheldon exists in real life too.

back to the question. Most all accounting is suited for the shy, homebody type. Introvert myself, the profession fits me better than Finance sector. I would ask her what interests her more (she did just take all those courses) and g with that. Her first job also will not be as focused so she has time to learn and make decisions on long-term career options.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 12:10:18 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff

How is this possible? I mean I guess its possible but I've never heard of this. I had to take extra courses just to reach the credit minimum. Was also an accounting major at a well-known business school in New England and NOBODY I knew was leaving school with the CPA already started. The smartest kids already had jobs waiting and went back to the CPA after a few years.

But I guess Sheldon exists in real life too.

back to the question. Most all accounting is suited for the shy, homebody type. Introvert myself, the profession fits me better than Finance sector. I would ask her what interests her more (she did just take all those courses) and g with that. Her first job also will not be as focused so she has time to learn and make decisions on long-term career options.

That's good to know!

My daughter went to a Community College High School, where you can take transferable University classes.  She transferred over 60 credits (very hard worker) - the catch was that she had to stay in-state....decided not to go Ivy.

Because of it, It will take her 2.5yrs to finish College and 1 year of MAcc.  The Graduate school where she'll be applying; The MAcc program is set up in a way that its paired with CPA test parts.  So over 80% of their Graduate students finish their MAcc with their CPA in hand...