Author Topic: Nike and Kaepernick  (Read 32353 times)

Re: Nike and Kaepernick
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2018, 05:35:31 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
“Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.”

Is it just me, or does the slogan not make sense if you have even just a vague understanding of Kaepernick’s situation? Yes, he kneeled during the anthem to protest against cops harassing/killing black men. However, in no way, shape or form did he ever imagine that his protest would lead him to not playing in the NFL again. There were also reports of him promising to not kneel during the anthem if he came back. I’m starting to get the impression that he would rather win his lawsuit against the NFL for monetary purposes, than to actually just play again.

What reports were those?

Do you have anything credible behind that?   Otherwise these sort of comments just end up as unsupported aspersions that aren't really fair to the target.

Man this thread is very sensitive. Why does everyone have to provide credible sources all of a sudden? Are we suddenly a bunch of reporters working for a newspaper or news outlet?

I remember hearing those reports on sports radio and reading them online. They may have been during his time when he worked out for Baltimore.

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2018, 08:07:08 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Is it just me, or does the slogan not make sense if you have even just a vague understanding of Kaepernick’s situation? Yes, he kneeled during the anthem to protest against cops harassing/killing black men. However, in no way, shape or form did he ever imagine that his protest would lead him to not playing in the NFL again. There were also reports of him promising to not kneel during the anthem if he came back. I’m starting to get the impression that he would rather win his lawsuit against the NFL for monetary purposes, than to actually just play again.

What reports were those?

Do you have anything credible behind that?   Otherwise these sort of comments just end up as unsupported aspersions that aren't really fair to the target.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18805744/colin-kaepernick-stand-national-anthem-next-season
Greg

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2018, 08:09:26 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

What reports were those?

Man this thread is very sensitive. Why does everyone have to provide credible sources all of a sudden? Are we suddenly a bunch of reporters working for a newspaper or news outlet?

I remember hearing those reports on sports radio and reading them online. They may have been during his time when he worked out for Baltimore.

i agree with the sentiment but people passing off information as fact bc they read a meme somewhere that said so has become an epidemic
Greg

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2018, 09:40:00 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548

What reports were those?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18805744/colin-kaepernick-stand-national-anthem-next-season

Ya for what its worth that report does not actually cite Kaepernick, it cites someone unknown citing Kaepernick. And when the rumors went around in October of that year both Kaepernick and his GF denied it.

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2018, 11:40:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is given that NIKE what they want a ton of publicity.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:10:40 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2018, 05:55:19 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Courageous move by Nike.

Thankful for Colin Kaepernick and others willing to stand for what they believe in.

They are exhibiting what "I" served my country for - the RIGHT to do such things.

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2018, 07:32:05 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
Courageous move by Nike.

Thankful for Colin Kaepernick and others willing to stand for what they believe in.

They are exhibiting what "I" served my country for - the RIGHT to do such things.

The RIGHT to kneel? I disagree. Many here have argued they should be thrown in jail and I’m with them.  ;)

Thank you for serving.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2018, 07:45:41 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
I just had to laugh at all the triggered MAGAs burning & cutting up Nike gear.

That was golden & sad at the same time.

Triggered leftists have offered far more content to laugh at over the last few years, I hope you enjoy those moments just as much. I know I do.

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2018, 07:52:18 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
but I would be lying if I said this will not influence my future sneaker purchasing decisions

I love when people vote with their wallets, best thing people can do.  Wish more people did it.

But I always find it odd when it happens.

Nike has used sweatshop labor for years.  You're okay supporting them with that, but not this? 

Nike avoids paying billions in US taxes.   You're okay supporting them with that, but not this?

I probably look at "sweatshops" a little differently than most, but I do agree that poverty in the developing world and some of the conditions people choose to work in is upsetting. People, even when making 3-7 times more, on average, than their fellow countrymen, should still be treated with dignity and respect. As far as taxes, the less the better. The corporate income tax rate, especially when people have to pay income tax, is way too high. So I think Nike has acted logically for a company trying to bring a good product to market, at an affordable price, while still turning a profit.

Just to be clear, I'm not over here calling for a boycott or anything like that. I'm just saying that when it's time for me to pick up a new pair of sneakers, I probably won't be buying Nike. To me they are supporting anti-police rhetoric that is getting people killed.

Interesting phrasing! Those silly sweatshop workers, working at sweatshops when they could simply find another less exploitative no-skills-no-training job in a third world country

Nike sneaker factories in the developing world benefit the people there. The reason locals withstand and work in those conditions is because they are getting paid 5 times as much as their neighbor. If I were to get $500,000 a year to work in a “sweatshop” I would probably do it for a few years and bank some money.

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2018, 07:56:20 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Courageous move by Nike.

The RIGHT to kneel? I disagree. Many here have argued they should be thrown in jail and I’m with them.  ;)

Thank you for serving.

Many? Who? Links?

Would you throw Army Vet Nate Boyer in jail?

He is the gentleman that actually PERSUADED Colin to start KNEELING vice sitting. Research it for yourself.

And would you throw THIS man in jail, as well?

https://people.com/sports/bill-russell-kneels-support-eagles/

Heck, let's throw Kareem, Ali AND Rusell in the Paddy Wagon, then.

For THEIR stance on Social Issues.

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2018, 08:02:01 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
GreenFaith1819, I was joking around, hence the wink. Nobody was making the argument you were refuting. Nobody said Kap didn’t have a right to do it.

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2018, 08:04:57 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Can we go back to more basketball related topics?

Posters have the option to not see current events if they choose. Contact a Moderator
Are you serious about that being an option? I would be interested in having CE hidden if so.

Yes, just message a MOD.

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2018, 08:06:14 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Not sure the ratings drop in NFL viewing is due to this controversy.

Overall ratings for television viewership is down 16%. NFL programming was only down 10%.

There you go with your counterfactuals again!

NBA ratings were up last season and continue to rise.

http://adage.com/article/media/nba-ratings/311486/

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2018, 08:07:25 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
GreenFaith1819, I was joking around, hence the wink. Nobody was making the argument you were refuting. Nobody said Kap didn’t have a right to do it.

My bad, then...sensitive issues these are, TP.

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2018, 08:08:09 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

My bad, then...sensitive issues these are, TP.

Rigt back at you