Author Topic: Yard work/homeowner stuff thread  (Read 50700 times)

Re: Yard work/homeowner stuff thread
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2016, 04:53:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Thought I had the gosh darn curtain rods in there perfect. Then they just fall right out of the wall (after like a year). I now have to repair a small hole and find the [dang] stud that seems impossible to find.
Ok. So holes are reasonably well speckled. Now I need to sand it. Spackle again. Sand again. Paint.
THEEEEeeeennnn put up curtain rods. I'm not happy I can't find the stud.

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2016, 06:16:57 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
Thought I had the gosh darn curtain rods in there perfect. Then they just fall right out of the wall (after like a year). I now have to repair a small hole and find the [dang] stud that seems impossible to find.
Ok. So holes are reasonably well speckled. Now I need to sand it. Spackle again. Sand again. Paint.

First I hope you know that finding the stud is as easy as finding ANY stud. You may know that they are placed exactly 16" apart, so once you find one, you can deduce the location of the others with a measuring tape.

To find one, look for something else that is connected to a stud, Shelf, hook etc. Also, light switch and outlet boxes are typically attached to the side of a stud. Measure over 3/4" to find the stud center.

You can also tap lightly and listen. When the wall doesn't sound hollow, you found it.  Or use a gadget. Search "stud finder" on Amazon.

But that's really not the issue. The studs may not align with where you need your screws and you may have to mount the rods in drywall. Don't use those plastic screw anchors. They will only support the lightest loads over time. Instead, you need a hollow wall fastener.

Here's a link to a common easy solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNFv65-QTPI

There are other types of fasteners that will do the job.  Type "Hollow & Drywall Anchors" into the Home Depot search box to see some.

Since you were happy with the installation of the rod before it fell, you may want to re-use the holes you just repaired...using better hardware, of course. And doing the spackle and re-finish was great practice!

And just in general, when you are learning the ins and outs of home handyman projects, there is nothing like making a connection at a good local hardware store, where they have advice and solutions for EVERYTHING. And never forget the power of YouTube.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2016, 07:28:54 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Does it make a difference if that insulation foam is in the wall? It doesn't right?

I was thinking of self drilling drywall anchors. I've had some success with them, but I also desire to try out one of these things

http://www.discount-distributor.com/toggler-bd-1-2-13-toggle-bolts-3-8-2-1-2-grip-range-zinc-plated-no-bolts-25-pack.html

Wow. Drill toggles look interesting

I'm feeling slightly better now, because the curtain rod that fell out was held up with just the smallest of drywall anchors. Those things are useless relics of my badly uninformed days

Ok. Over the course of the day I have refamiliarized myself with toggle/molly bolts. And I have figured out the width of my walls.

Found one stud. Can't find another.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:15:20 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2016, 09:30:21 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
Foam insulation shouldn't interfere.

I've used the self-drilling anchors with some success on light-duty projects, but I don't think I'd trust them for curtain rods...too much downward force to lever them out of the wall.

Haven't worked with the ones in the link, but they look like they transfer the force to a wider base on the back of the drywall, and thus will resist being pulled out, which I think is the key.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2017, 04:43:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The deck is 6 years old and starting to show some ...idk...mold.  Green.  I figure this summer I gotta sand it and then stain it.

Anyone ever done anything like this?

« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2017, 05:09:40 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
The deck is 6 years old and starting to show some ...idk...mold.  Green.  I figure this summer I gotta sand it and then stain it.

Could be mold. Could be mildew or algae. I wouldn't sand it. Very tedious, can't get in to the crevices and you run the risk of inhaling some nasty stuff.

Use a pressure washer with a good detergent, then water seal the deck.

You can rent one for the day for well under $100 or, if you think you have use for it, can pick up a decent one at a place like Harbor Freight for around $300.

Don't bother with the small electric ones you see at Wally World and the home improvement stores. They are ok for small cleanups, but not really heavy duty enoigh for this job.

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2017, 05:48:38 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

First I hope you know that finding the stud is as easy as finding ANY stud. You may know that they are placed exactly 16" apart, so once you find one, you can deduce the location of the others with a measuring tape.

To find one, look for something else that is connected to a stud, Shelf, hook etc. Also, light switch and outlet boxes are typically attached to the side of a stud. Measure over 3/4" to find the stud center.

You can also tap lightly and listen. When the wall doesn't sound hollow, you found it.  Or use a gadget. Search "stud finder" on Amazon.

But that's really not the issue. The studs may not align with where you need your screws and you may have to mount the rods in drywall. Don't use those plastic screw anchors. They will only support the lightest loads over time. Instead, you need a hollow wall fastener.

Here's a link to a common easy solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNFv65-QTPI

There are other types of fasteners that will do the job.  Type "Hollow & Drywall Anchors" into the Home Depot search box to see some.

Since you were happy with the installation of the rod before it fell, you may want to re-use the holes you just repaired...using better hardware, of course. And doing the spackle and re-finish was great practice!

And just in general, when you are learning the ins and outs of home handyman projects, there is nothing like making a connection at a good local hardware store, where they have advice and solutions for EVERYTHING. And never forget the power of YouTube.
That's in an ideal world, isn't it?

I had to install a small wall-mounted TV recently and my stud finder was pretty much all over the place -- so I ended up saying screw it, and mounted in the drywall with plastic anchors. After all, the whole TV was less than 10 pounds so I figured out 4-6 screws should just been enough.

Too early to tell how it's going to go though. But I can emphatically say the stud finder has been rather useless lately (especially when it comes to the high-voltage detection function, if I listened to that I'd have had to conclude that my wall is just one gigantic power cable...).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2017, 05:52:56 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I sawed through the cord of my hand saw the other day.  I am pretty much the worst.  On the bright side I didn't kill myself or lose any fingers.
Yup

« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2017, 05:53:44 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
I think I have a skunk(s) living under my deck.  Any advice on getting them out?

« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2017, 06:29:39 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
I think I have a skunk(s) living under my deck.  Any advice on getting them out?

Supposedly (I say supposedly because it never worked for me), using a live trap and throwing a blanket over it to block the skunk from seeing you can keep you from getting sprayed. Good luck with that, though. I'd put money on you getting sprayed if you tried that method. lol

I used to trap and did some animal damage control work for my small town, friends, and family. On more than one occasion I've had to remove skunks from underneath porches, barns, etc. I found that trapping them with a connibear trap (rather than a live trap or foothold) worked best to minimize the odor, though they still sprayed some. When you catch them live, you're almost assuredly going to get them spraying when you approach to dispatch them.

Your best bet is to contact an animal damage control (ADC) guy in your area, especially if you want to minimize the skunk smell. They're usually pretty cheap, because most of them are just outdoorsmen, hunters, and trappers that work other jobs and do that on the side.

« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2017, 07:41:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Could be mold. Could be mildew or algae. I wouldn't sand it. Very tedious, can't get in to the crevices and you run the risk of inhaling some nasty stuff.

Use a pressure washer with a good detergent, then water seal the deck.

You can rent one for the day for well under $100 or, if you think you have use for it, can pick up a decent one at a place like Harbor Freight for around $300.

Don't bother with the small electric ones you see at Wally World and the home improvement stores. They are ok for small cleanups, but not really heavy duty enoigh for this job.
Pressure washer.....I hadn't thought of that. Good point

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2017, 04:35:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Also....I stayed at a hotel yesterday with a fancy double shower head. I've tried to research this a little. Is replacing a shower head easy or way harder than it sounds? It looks like there's a couple surprises is store for me if I don't think this through

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2017, 05:12:50 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Also....I stayed at a hotel yesterday with a fancy double shower head. I've tried to research this a little. Is replacing a shower head easy or way harder than it sounds? It looks like there's a couple surprises is store for me if I don't think this through

Is usually very easy, the old head should just unscrew off the pipe and the new one will screw right on.  You might need to put some teflon tape on the threads to prevent any leaks
Greg

« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2017, 06:47:28 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Is usually very easy, the old head should just unscrew off the pipe and the new one will screw right on.  You might need to put some teflon tape on the threads to prevent any leaks
That really was incredibly easy

« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2017, 06:48:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Are any of you incredibly untalented and yet still managed to correctly construct an archway in a hall? Like with one of those kits?