Author Topic: Yard work/homeowner stuff thread  (Read 50735 times)

Re: Yard work/homeowner stuff thread
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2016, 08:36:55 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm so sick of yard work at this point in my life I can't stand it! I grew up on a farm and have been a homeowner since I was 23 (44 now). I have plenty of time to do it and have tools to do almost everything I need to do. But I don't want to anymore!!!

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2016, 08:42:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Dishwasher is harder than it looks.

I recommend buying from Sears and paying their install fee. You are clearly past that though.

The not coming with a hose bit is common. Make sure you get a steel wrapped hose.

Also, it's really important that it be in there with the proper leveling or it won't drain properly.

Best tip I got when I did mine, "built in" style dishwashers come with plastic wheels on the back to make it easy to roll.

Take those off. They aren't supposed to be on when it's installed. I'd never have figured that out on my own, and getting it level was impossible with those on since it was too tall in the back.

Buzz
According to the level we're level. 

The problem is the supply line hose we had didn't fit on the elbow from the machine. Not only did it not fit, but I think the threads turned out backwards. So the hardware store like rigged up this connector/adapter thing that did fit. Problem was it leaked a tiny bit. So I used tape on the parts and tightened it. Unfortunately I tightened it so much I actually bent the connector. I had no idea I could do that. So I now want to try to get a new hose or failing that a new connector that I will do all over again with tape and not tighten it so [dang] hard. I am also freaking out that when I connected the electric wires nothing happened after we threw the breaker back on.   I am not in a good place with all this.

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2016, 10:24:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Have you tried sacrificing a chicken or calf to the kitchen gods in hopes of gaining their grace? It always works for me.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2016, 01:05:06 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
Ugh... I am repointing/remortaring my 200 year-old stone foundation.

Basically you dig out the loose mortar form between the old stones, remove all the dust with a vacuum or brush, then mix some fresh mortar and stuff it deep into the crevices.

It is slow, miserable work, and it takes a lot longer than it sounds.

And God, I hate wearing a dust mask.

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2016, 07:16:46 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm so sick of yard work at this point in my life I can't stand it! I grew up on a farm and have been a homeowner since I was 23 (44 now). I have plenty of time to do it and have tools to do almost everything I need to do. But I don't want to anymore!!!
Funny how perspectives can be so different.  I love doing yard work!  I'm 58 and yard work is one of my favorite pastimes, as well as being pretty good exercise.  I do use a lawn management company that does the fertilizing, grub treatment, etc., but I mow my own lawn and do a lot of the trimming and planting.

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2016, 07:34:23 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Have you tried sacrificing a chicken or calf to the kitchen gods in hopes of gaining their grace? It always works for me.
I'm a 16th Jew so my God won't allow me to pray to other heathen gods. However, I suppose I could try praying to my own.

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2016, 07:52:30 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Dishwasher is harder than it looks.

I recommend buying from Sears and paying their install fee. You are clearly past that though.

The not coming with a hose bit is common. Make sure you get a steel wrapped hose.

Also, it's really important that it be in there with the proper leveling or it won't drain properly.

Best tip I got when I did mine, "built in" style dishwashers come with plastic wheels on the back to make it easy to roll.

Take those off. They aren't supposed to be on when it's installed. I'd never have figured that out on my own, and getting it level was impossible with those on since it was too tall in the back.

Buzz
According to the level we're level. 

The problem is the supply line hose we had didn't fit on the elbow from the machine. Not only did it not fit, but I think the threads turned out backwards. So the hardware store like rigged up this connector/adapter thing that did fit. Problem was it leaked a tiny bit. So I used tape on the parts and tightened it. Unfortunately I tightened it so much I actually bent the connector. I had no idea I could do that. So I now want to try to get a new hose or failing that a new connector that I will do all over again with tape and not tighten it so [dang] hard. I am also freaking out that when I connected the electric wires nothing happened after we threw the breaker back on.   I am not in a good place with all this.

I installed mine yesterday, was pretty easy.  I did buy a universal hose from Home Depot that was 9 feet (only needed 5 foot one) so that I Can easily move the dishwasher around if I had done something wrong.  Did a couple practice loads last night and seems to work great.  GOt the dishwasher off of the side of the road as it was better then the one I had.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2016, 09:47:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2016, 11:04:38 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Funny how perspectives can be so different.  I love doing yard work!  I'm 58 and yard work is one of my favorite pastimes, as well as being pretty good exercise.  I do use a lawn management company that does the fertilizing, grub treatment, etc., but I mow my own lawn and do a lot of the trimming and planting.

I have a riding mower that is 15 years old, still decent, takes me over 2 hours just to do the riding part.  :-\

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2016, 11:15:11 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Got the dishwasher done. A hose with a packet of adapters did the trick. It was downhill from there

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2016, 11:18:20 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
so I am looking to install glass doors for my showers...do you guys recommend doing it myself or hire a contractor?

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2016, 12:46:00 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
so I am looking to install glass doors for my showers...do you guys recommend doing it myself or hire a contractor?
Some considerations before you decide to take it on:

What kind of material are the walls? If you must drill through tile you will need the right tools and a light touch to avoid cracking them.

Is the opening for the doors square and plumb? If not, you will need to shim the frame for the doors to operate properly. Not necessarily a show stopper, but it does require a little extra finesse. Especially if the opening is way off.

In any event, make sure that every screw and every joint is properly sealed to prevent water infiltration and damage over time.

If your comfort level is there, go for it. Otherwise, take a pass.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2016, 02:39:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I've sacrificed numerous flanks and drumsticks but I'm still not brave enough to do my own kitchen.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2016, 03:38:07 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I am thrilled this forum topic exists... on CB no less.

Here's my question, about lawns.

I've been a homeowner for about a year and have done nothing to my lawn other than mow it and water it. It looks terrible in many places, dry and weed infested.

Is it necessary to hire a lawn company to fertilize, re-seed, de-weed, etc? It's expensive for a big property, and I've also heard that some companies will use high nitrogen fertilizers that are like crack for your lawn, ie they make it spruce right back up but it's not that healthy underneath.

A landscaper we talked to recently said he wants to "dethatch" the lawn, that is tear it up and re-seed it. Then he said I should just buy a spreader and some low-nitrogen fertilizer and just fertilize 3-4 times per year. I'm not sold on the need to "dethatch" (others say this is counterproductive, you just need to "aerate".

Anyway, any and all advice welcome.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2016, 03:56:58 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Some considerations before you decide to take it on:

What kind of material are the walls? If you must drill through tile you will need the right tools and a light touch to avoid cracking them.

Is the opening for the doors square and plumb? If not, you will need to shim the frame for the doors to operate properly. Not necessarily a show stopper, but it does require a little extra finesse. Especially if the opening is way off.

In any event, make sure that every screw and every joint is properly sealed to prevent water infiltration and damage over time.

If your comfort level is there, go for it. Otherwise, take a pass.

got it so i think at this point it's safer to get a contractor