Author Topic: Yard work/homeowner stuff thread  (Read 50720 times)

Re: Yard work/homeowner stuff thread
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 10:47:50 PM »

Offline TheWatersEdge

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Ok- here's my dilemma... What is an easy and eco/puppy-friendly way to remove crab grass that always seems to pop up in August in New England?

I've tried boiling water- it works but still doesn't save time.  I won't use chemicals for various reasons, and last year I re-seeded the majority of the lawn in another area and am just loathe to pull all the crabgrass by hand to re-seed... Are there any other secret weapons in the battle royale against crabgrass?

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 02:43:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Have any of you ever bought and planted a European White Birch? Preferably a small one. How did that go?

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2015, 04:03:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Any of you ever have carpenter bees? How did that go?

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 06:45:08 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
I had an attack of carpenter bees in multiple locations one spring. Bought a big plastic bottle of boric acid with a long thin tip at Tractor Supply. It is safe, cheap and effective. Puffed it into the bee holes. Two treatments a couple of days apart did the job.  I caulked and painted the holes.

Done
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 09:54:40 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 02:06:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I made a small mistake. Way back in the day when I put up curtains in the living room I used the small dry wall anchors provided with the small screws. That was a horrible mistake. I upgraded to larger screws and anchors. That helped. Then I upgraded to the things that spread out in the wall and that almost did the job and was sufficient in other places in the house. Now I have upgraded to the large self drilling dry wall anchors. The problem was I used a screw too big and had to pull it out which left a hole bigger than I'd like and the screw there has very little to grab on to. The rest of the job came out fine. I just want it to look ok and have the screw not sag. I don't think I need it to really support the curtain.

So....not sure what to do. Not sure spakle will really hold a screw to the wall.

Searching internet

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 02:15:45 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I made a small mistake. Way back in the day when I put up curtains in the living room I used the small dry wall anchors provided with the small screws. That was a horrible mistake. I upgraded to larger screws and anchors. That helped. Then I upgraded to the things that spread out in the wall and that almost did the job and was sufficient in other places in the house. Now I have upgraded to the large self drilling dry wall anchors. The problem was I used a screw too big and had to pull it out which left a hole bigger than I'd like and the screw there has very little to grab on to. The rest of the job came out fine. I just want it to look ok and have the screw not sag. I don't think I need it to really support the curtain.

So....not sure what to do. Not sure spakle will really hold a screw to the wall.

Searching internet
Is it Sheetrock or plaster?
If it's old plaster fill it with Durabond joint compound (only stuff that will hold a screw.) if it's Sheetrock  use seam tape or a patch and skim coat.
Then use one of these...
http://m.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-1-4-in-x-2-1-2-in-Toggle-Straps-with-Screws-6-Pack-376260/202982713

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 02:19:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Sheet rock I think.

I was considering going with joint compound and then just using another drywall anchor. I feel like i just need it to fit

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 02:21:12 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Sheet rock I think.

I was considering going with joint compound and then just using another drywall anchor. I feel like i just need it to fit
mthe anchors in the link above are bomber
Can get the to hold up to 75 lbs/anchor

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 02:28:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I don't think I've done a good job of explaining this.  The rod is up and in the wall at both ends. I definitely do not want to take it down.

So I'm working in a very small area. I was under the impression plaster and dry wall were somewhat interchangeable terms. I think it's dry wall.  There is a hole in a manner of speaking. The amount of area of dry wall where a dry wall anchor would be is no missing. I think I need to fill it. I don't see how tape could help that.

I suppose I will try the other thing and then those anchors you showed.

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2016, 02:21:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
So you know that ring in the toilet that happens? Have any of you ever successfully removed it or even seriously reduced it?  Without buying a new toilet?  After having had said ring for like 2 or 3 years?

We tried doing some stuff from youtube and failed pretty badly

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2016, 07:47:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Wife bought new dishwasher.  Asked a plumber I trusted how much to install. He said 350 and it was a 3ish hour job.  Ran counter to our research.

Trying to do it ourselves. Very unhappy the new one didn't come with a supply line hose.

Spent like 8 hours on this. Not going well.

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2016, 07:58:50 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I think I'm on week 3 or 4.

This plus not having any real tools to do it, why didn't you just hire someone? Not worth 3-4 weeks minimum of my life especially without the correct tools.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2016, 08:08:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I think I'm on week 3 or 4.

This plus not having any real tools to do it, why didn't you just hire someone? Not worth 3-4 weeks minimum of my life especially without the correct tools.
Wait a second. I didn't exactly do it around the clock. I didn't know it would take so long when I started.

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2016, 08:35:41 PM »

Offline buzz4209

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
Dishwasher is harder than it looks.

I recommend buying from Sears and paying their install fee. You are clearly past that though.

The not coming with a hose bit is common. Make sure you get a steel wrapped hose.

Also, it's really important that it be in there with the proper leveling or it won't drain properly.

Best tip I got when I did mine, "built in" style dishwashers come with plastic wheels on the back to make it easy to roll.

Take those off. They aren't supposed to be on when it's installed. I'd never have figured that out on my own, and getting it level was impossible with those on since it was too tall in the back.

Buzz