Author Topic: Yard work/homeowner stuff thread  (Read 50739 times)

Re: Yard work/homeowner stuff thread
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 01:25:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I was also pretty concerned about something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw_vcM7bynA

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
It's pretty funny the way they yell "stop stop stop" at the end

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 01:27:34 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I am currently trying to remove a medium sized pine stump in my free time. I think I'm on week 3 or 4. This is probably the single hardest physical thing I have ever done.  I have virtually no tools. Shovel, garden hose, and pick axe are pretty much doing it all.

Pine trees and shallow without many roots the internet said. Maybe only a few hours the internet said. 

1) Fine neighbor with truck, pull chain, and proper hooks.

2) Befrieind said neighbor.

3) Laugh gleefully as neighbor pulls up tree, roots, and everything in 20 seconds.

Alternate 3:
Cry pitifully as you reimburse said neighbor for new transmission.
Yeah, reality isn't always as pretty and perfect as commercials lead us to believe.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 01:28:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
My own experience with this is very similar, maybe not as bad. Young maple tree growing amidst some bushes, started digging/chopping, and realized, "good lord, this is gonna be terrible"

Neighbor just pulled up in his truck, hitched em up, said "stand back" and tore it out. It was awesome.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I was also pretty concerned about something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw_vcM7bynA
Gotta love how he put it in reverse, not neutral, and then didn't even give it any gas.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 01:55:19 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
My own experience with this is very similar, maybe not as bad. Young maple tree growing amidst some bushes, started digging/chopping, and realized, "good lord, this is gonna be terrible"

Neighbor just pulled up in his truck, hitched em up, said "stand back" and tore it out. It was awesome.
Another horrid aspect of this was when I started there were tons of spindly maple roots crossing my big one so I had to cut them and it was just a whole nother thing. And there were tons of rocks. The roots had grown around a bunch of them and I that point I ruled out chainsaw because I didn't want stuff flying at my face or destroying chains.

Youtube videos are only so good cause dudes show off. They don't usually post the horribly bad idea videos....not usually. The car is an exception

I make tons of my decisions based on imagining a worst case scenario and then seeing my name in paper with every one of my townsfolk saying "He did what? Why did he do that?"

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 02:32:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
So this brings me to the new and interesting problem that I'm glad the wife said something about or things could be way worse. I threw a lot of the dirt into the dirt road to reinforce it until she said "you're gonna need to fill the whole". Upon which I kept a lot of the dirt nearby. I have filled it about 3 quarters back, which isn't too bad considering the volume of the stump itself and when I get soil and the actual tree I think it will work out.  I'm thinking of maybe putting some grass clippings there. Not sure

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I works so hard at home ...and little woman crack d whip ..it's all a body can do to keep up

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 04:31:15 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Should only take a few hours with the right technique.
Step 1: you will need a few more tools:
go buy a 4' pinch point point crowbar. Pinch point is important as it will not bend under pressure. Get at the depot for $20-30.
Gather a few larger rocks and a 4x4 or piece of fire wood. The rocks will be used in step 4, the 4x4 is a fulcrum for your new pry bar.
Step 2: expose horizontal spread roots so you can attack with your pick ax.
Step3: cut biggest roots all the way around.
Step 4: use fulcrum and pry bar to lift trunk enough to reveal other roots., jam a rock under to hold in place. Cut roots.
Step 5: repeat 4 until stump is free. Pop out with pry bar.
Good luck and have fun.
better yet...
step 1, call a professional stump remover.
step 2, watch them do the job in 1/2 hour while you drink a beer.
step 3, give me a tommy point. ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 04:39:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
go buy a 4' pinch point point crowbar. Pinch point is important as it will not bend under pressure. Get at the depot for $20-30.
Gather a few larger rocks and a 4x4 or piece of fire wood. The rocks will be used in step 4, the 4x4 is a fulcrum for your new pry bar.
Step 4: use fulcrum and pry bar to lift trunk enough to reveal other roots., jam a rock under to hold in place. Cut roots.
Good luck and have fun.
better yet...
Didn't feel like being charged to have Brazillians I don't know drive up to my house and charge me to do what I could do in my free time.

I pay people to do things I can't do....like plumbing.

I don't pay them to do things I can do like mow the lawn or make a brick walk or clean my house.

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 05:05:37 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
Good luck and have fun.
better yet...
Didn't feel like being charged to have Brazillians I don't know drive up to my house and charge me to do what I could do in my free time.

I don't pay them to do things I can do like mow the lawn or make a brick walk or clean my house.

I am a fix-it idiot.  I have no building knowledge or skills at all, never mind plumbing or electrical.  I can change a light bulb, mow the lawn, rake the leaves, trim hedges, seed/fertilize, shovel the snow, vacuum, sweep, fold laundry, and put dishes in the dishwasher.  Everything else either my wife does (she's much more handy than me) or we call someone.  That said, I have removed stumps -- some hard, some relatively easy.

I'm with you about paying for something I am able to do -- but unlike you, I wouldn't even attempt a brick walk.   

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 05:53:36 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Good luck and have fun.
better yet...

I am a fix-it idiot.  I have no building knowledge or skills at all, never mind plumbing or electrical.  I can change a light bulb, mow the lawn, rake the leaves, trim hedges, seed/fertilize, shovel the snow, vacuum, sweep, fold laundry, and put dishes in the dishwasher.  Everything else either my wife does (she's much more handy than me) or we call someone.  That said, I have removed stumps -- some hard, some relatively easy.

I'm with you about paying for something I am able to do -- but unlike you, I wouldn't even attempt a brick walk.
It's not as hard as you might think. In our first house, I put in a front walk using some large square flagstones, 24" per side. Brick does require more precision though.

I am pretty much aligned with you on that household responsibility list though I am also fairly mechanically adept and can build and repair household items.

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 06:35:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Good luck and have fun.
better yet...

It's not as hard as you might think. In our first house, I put in a front walk using some large square flagstones, 24" per side. Brick does require more precision though.

I am pretty much aligned with you on that household responsibility list though I am also fairly mechanically adept and can build and repair household items.
Technically it was a cobble stone walk and the wife and I did it together. It took a solid month or two.

I admit without the internet it would be harder to do this stuff. Also it helps that my wife grew up poor. Being poor in money can sometimes make you richer in other ways.

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 08:43:07 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Good thread.  I love just hang around house and yard, doing various fixes jobs. The past few years I have increasingly paid people to do the backbreaking jobs like removing tree stumps, but there is still plenty to do for a 56-year old.  My wife hates when I get up on a ladder, but I still do that to some extent.

I am just about to buy a table saw and drill press for my workshop garage. Really psyched to finally have some real power tools!

Unless you've got something specific in mind for needing the drill press, buy yourself a decent chop saw with the money instead.  I've managed to accumulate a fair number of hand and power tools in the past 10-15 years, and the power tool that gets used the most is the chop saw.  I know, you can make those cuts with a circ saw, but chop saw is so simple, so easy and quick...  I use my table saw a fair amount, but my chop saw pretty much every weekend and I've never really NEEDED a drill press. 

Good cordless drill
Chop saw
Table saw

That'd be my recommendations for your first three power tool investments.   

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 10:10:43 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Chop saw

smh

get a butter knife
Everyman should have one in tool boxs

flat head to Phillip