Author Topic: Cavaliers May Beat Us In A Potential Bidding War For Anthony Davis  (Read 12371 times)

Re: Cavaliers May Beat Us In A Potential Bidding War For Anthony Davis
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 10:12:45 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Whenever a pessimist starts a thread with " I hate to say it ..." you know they're really revelling in being the bearer of bad news.

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 10:13:49 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I hate to say it, but I've heard people around the media/shows mention Cleveland going after a trade for Anthony Davis, and it looks like if Boston and Cleveland are two of the many teams in a bidding war for him (either IN-season or next summer), the C's could be at a disadvantage here.

Cleveland could offer something along the lines of 2018 BKN Pick, Kevin Love, Shumpert (salary), Zizic/Osman, and one future 2020-2021 1st rounder (which could be big if Lebron leaves before then, which is likely) FOR Davis and Asik (salary filler). Or if the Pels want Crowder badly, Cavs would do it with Crowder while taking away someone else (not Love though).

That's probably more than anything BOS can offer unless they literally gut their team.

Kevin Love is a walking double-double at a "modest" rate, and I have a feeling that 2018 BKN pick will be a Top-5 pick while LAL pick.. we just have to pray, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't convey to be honest. We could offer Horford in a trade... but Pelicans may prefer a younger K. Love.

And if CLE trades for Davis say, next summer, then oh boy.. that could also entice Lebron to stay past this season, as Davis is legit someone who can close the gap between CLE and GSW.

That's not to say other teams won't be bidding for Davis (teams like Phoenix could be a legit threat too), but it's something to monitor.

We may face Cleveland in an ECF this year, but we could also be facing them for the services of Anthony Davis within the coming year to year-and-a-half. Highly doubt Lebron would leave Cleveland if they acquire Davis, and I'm sure the Cavaliers FO knows this too.

I'm sorry but it isn't going to be the Cavs, when a team trades a franchise player they automatically go in rebuild mode and it would have meant that Cousins would be traded away too or just leave in free agency. The Pelicans wouldn't want anyone over 26-7 at the oldest, as they will run into the same problem with the player wanting to be immediately traded. The only team that could rival Celtics for Davis would be Lakers IMO. If the Lakers offered Ingram, Ball, Kouzma, Zubac ect. with the promise that Lebron/George/CP3 has agreed to sign via free agency then they may have a shot, but they lose all their depth so it's highly doubtful.

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 10:14:06 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
“I heard people around the media/shows mention Cleveland going after a trade for Anthony Davis”

Do you have any links? I’ve not heard of anyone mentioning that Cleveland is targeting Davis, and I keep up pretty well with all nba insiders and beat writers. Would be nice to see what you’re talking about to see whether it’s a real thing or just a talking head speculating randomness on a slow news day

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 11:08:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
“I heard people around the media/shows mention Cleveland going after a trade for Anthony Davis”

Do you have any links? I’ve not heard of anyone mentioning that Cleveland is targeting Davis, and I keep up pretty well with all nba insiders and beat writers. Would be nice to see what you’re talking about to see whether it’s a real thing or just a talking head speculating randomness on a slow news day

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/11/morning-tip-mailbag-sept-11-2017

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2731523-trade-packages-and-scenarios-for-clevelands-2018-first-round-pick-via-nets

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QDde71VlGKE

Also discussed on the Cowherd show and "First Things First". And ESPN has briefly mentioned trade targets for that Nets Pick on live shows and Davis occasionally pops up (though they acknowledge that RIGHT NOW, he's not available).

Now if you mean the likes of Woj or Aldridge or others, yeah sorry don't have "evidence" from them. But even you've probably heard about at least the possibility that RENTAL Cousins could be a trade candidate to CLE if Lebron says so (lol) and Pelicans AD-Boogie duo fails this year.

Maybe they decide to go bigger though? (Meaning Davis)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 02:28:16 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
And Golden State is not trading Draymond and Klay for Davis lol. That’s one of the more ridiculous things I’ve heard in a while.

If I were them, I'd do it.  Assuming Klay is planning on walking away anyway...Anthony Davis is IMHO a massive, massive upgrade over Draymond Green.

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 02:32:11 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I hate to say it, but I've heard people around the media/shows mention Cleveland going after a trade for Anthony Davis, and it looks like if Boston and Cleveland are two of the many teams in a bidding war for him (either IN-season or next summer), the C's could be at a disadvantage here.

Cleveland could offer something along the lines of 2018 BKN Pick, Kevin Love, Shumpert (salary), Zizic/Osman, and one future 2020-2021 1st rounder (which could be big if Lebron leaves before then, which is likely) FOR Davis and Asik (salary filler). Or if the Pels want Crowder badly, Cavs would do it with Crowder while taking away someone else (not Love though).

That's probably more than anything BOS can offer unless they literally gut their team.

Kevin Love is a walking double-double at a "modest" rate, and I have a feeling that 2018 BKN pick will be a Top-5 pick while LAL pick.. we just have to pray, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't convey to be honest. We could offer Horford in a trade... but Pelicans may prefer a younger K. Love.

And if CLE trades for Davis say, next summer, then oh boy.. that could also entice Lebron to stay past this season, as Davis is legit someone who can close the gap between CLE and GSW.

That's not to say other teams won't be bidding for Davis (teams like Phoenix could be a legit threat too), but it's something to monitor.

We may face Cleveland in an ECF this year, but we could also be facing them for the services of Anthony Davis within the coming year to year-and-a-half. Highly doubt Lebron would leave Cleveland if they acquire Davis, and I'm sure the Cavaliers FO knows this too.

I'm sorry but it isn't going to be the Cavs, when a team trades a franchise player they automatically go in rebuild mode and it would have meant that Cousins would be traded away too or just leave in free agency. The Pelicans wouldn't want anyone over 26-7 at the oldest, as they will run into the same problem with the player wanting to be immediately traded. The only team that could rival Celtics for Davis would be Lakers IMO. If the Lakers offered Ingram, Ball, Kouzma, Zubac ect. with the promise that Lebron/George/CP3 has agreed to sign via free agency then they may have a shot, but they lose all their depth so it's highly doubtful.

Ingram is garbage, Ball has yet to prove anything, and Kouzma and Kouzma/Zubac are scrubs.  No chance Pelicans even dream of considering that deal.

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 02:37:21 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
And Golden State is not trading Draymond and Klay for Davis lol. That’s one of the more ridiculous things I’ve heard in a while.

If I were them, I'd do it.  Assuming Klay is planning on walking away anyway...Anthony Davis is IMHO a massive, massive upgrade over Draymond Green.
You’re not them and nobody is assuming Klay is going to walk.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 04:46:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Ingram is garbage, Ball has yet to prove anything, and Kouzma and Kouzma/Zubac are scrubs.  No chance Pelicans even dream of considering that deal.
Yeah, that's a laughably bad package for AD
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 06:21:17 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Nah, I don't see them trading LeBron. He has a no-trade clause.
There is no other way to make the trade remotely valuable comparing to our potential AD offer.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:33:35 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2017, 08:15:41 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Phantom my man... I appreciate the threads but this one is just really bad, specifically for the Kevin Love point that people have already made. Pelicans trading AD means they're blowing it up. They're going to want 3 top tier young assets/trades. Cavs have 1 in the pick. Love is actually a negative asset for a team that just blew up. He would be figurative cap filler.

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2017, 08:23:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not that worried about them getting Davis specifically, but I do hate that we gave the Cavs the ammunition to add another piece. Upgrading may be what entices Lebron to stay in Cleveland.  If that's the case, the trade could end up making it harder for us to make the Finals.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2017, 08:24:22 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Phantom my man... I appreciate the threads but this one is just really bad, specifically for the Kevin Love point that people have already made. Pelicans trading AD means they're blowing it up. They're going to want 3 top tier young assets/trades. Cavs have 1 in the pick. Love is actually a negative asset for a team that just blew up. He would be figurative cap filler.
The Pelicans have a lot of bad contracts though, that could be swapped for Kevin Love, actually making him a net positive to the trade.  Asik, Hill, and Moore are all awful contracts for a rebuilding team.  I'd much rather have Kevin Love than those 3 guys (as an example). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2017, 08:32:51 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
The Pelicans have a lot of bad contracts though, that could be swapped for Kevin Love, actually making him a net positive to the trade.  Asik, Hill, and Moore are all awful contracts for a rebuilding team.  I'd much rather have Kevin Love than those 3 guys (as an example).

Would you give up a future hall of famer for it when the Celtics could take your bad contract and give a similar lotto pick plus smart and one of Tatum or brown? Something that you can actually build around ? Put another way, would you rather have 30 million in Kevin love or 30 million in 3 top prospects? Love will just walk or get old. He's just a waste of cap space for a team who won't make the playoffs for 5 years.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:38:31 AM by Erik »

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2017, 08:37:39 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I see it as a situation where GSW where might need to breakup their four main guys. Everybody is happy now but money (need to take less to keep team together) or desire to be the #1 man on their own team (Klay, Draymond) might break them up at some point.

If GSW sees the writing on the walls 12-24 months down the line, that someone wants to leave -- then trading two of those guys to get a 3rd MVP caliber talent to put alongside Steph and Durant is an attractive proposition.

Hard to keep everybody happy there long term.

As a devil's advocate it's hard NOT to be happy when you keep winning championships.

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2017, 09:26:49 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Would you give up a future hall of famer for it when the Celtics could take your bad contract and give a similar lotto pick plus smart and one of Tatum or brown? Something that you can actually build around ? Put another way, would you rather have 30 million in Kevin love or 30 million in 3 top prospects? Love will just walk or get old. He's just a waste of cap space for a team who won't make the playoffs for 5 years.
Davis, Hill, Asik, and Moore make just over 55 million this year.  That is a lot of salary to acquire.  For Boston to acquire Davis and those contracts, Boston would have to trade at least Horford along with Tatum, Brown, Morris, and LAL (post trade as you need the salary - this summer Boston can't trade Smart).  Does Boston still want to do that?  I might still do that if I'm Boston, but that trade becomes a lot more costly to do and Love is certainly more valuable than Horford going forward. 

The Cavs on the other hand have a lot of extra salary.  Love, Shumpert, Smith is enough salary to acquire all 4 of the NO players (that assumes Shumpert takes his player option before the trade).  Cleveland could then add in whatever draft picks or young players that New Orleans wants.  Cleveland also can work the trade so many different ways with Thompson and Crowder.  Heck, Cleveland could even take on Holiday (if New Orleans was looking to move on fully). 

Boston certainly can put together a more attractive package than the Cavs for just Davis, but there is a lot of extra value to New Orleans in dumping all those other unattractive contracts if they are moving on from Davis and in that Boston would struggle a great deal coming up with a better package.

The Sixers are also a real problem in any sort of major trade as they have a lot of attractive assets and can take on salary next summer as they are under the cap (even with the Embiid signing).  The Lakers also have young player assets and cap room. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip