Author Topic: Honestly, I Wonder, Why Did Kyrie Agree To That First Take Interview?  (Read 3381 times)

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
So about a day after Kyrie came on for the interview on First Take, the entire crew discussed his visit and were pretty shocked at how it went. He dodged many questions, and seemed to "toy around" with Max Kellerman especially (LOL).

But then Will Cain absolutely bashed Kyrie for coming on and "acting smarter than he is" and "being very condescending to the entire crew" during the interview. Now I could care less about what Will Cain thinks or says, but to be honest, it did make me think a bit.

Why did Kyrie agree to it? What was the point of it? To just emphasize "I don't like Lebron but I won't announce it explicitly"? I mean, I think the entire NBA media and fans already assumed that.

Now I do wish First Take asked a lot more about Kyrie and the CELTICS (and Brad Stevens, etc.) as opposed to the trade rumors itself and Lebron, but at the same time, I could see why a casual non-Celtics or non-Cavs fan could watch this interview and feel Kyrie was acting all smug and like he didn't care ("hey, I have my ring! Now time to promote my brand and show some love to my next team - Boston - just b/c they traded for me"). He also made Max repeat what he said a few times simply because "you could simplify what you asked". Boy..  :laugh:

It did feel a little awkward (the interview), and frankly it might have been better if he didn't do it.

I agree some parts were funny and I loved how Kyrie didn't take the bait Max was feeding him (like calling out Lebron explicitly or the Cavs organization), but doing that made it a pretty awkward interview for the most part.

Now that said, I would LOVE to see Kyrie toy around with the Dan Shaugnessy's and the Gary Tanguay's and the Michael Felger's of the Boston media  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ALSO, did First Take ever bring Isaiah Thomas on to their show besides the 2014-2015 NBA Finals? Yet they bring Kyrie on as he's now a Celtics player but has never played for them yet? Huh...  ???
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Honestly, I Wonder, Why Did Kyrie Agree To That First Take Interview?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 10:29:46 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
His agent probably wanted to run him through the ESPN "car wash".

Plus, ESPN is a the major NBA league rights holder so its certainly in their best interest to bring him on.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 10:31:53 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Plus, ESPN is a the major NBA league rights holder so its certainly in their best interest to bring him on.

I think Stephen A. Smith invited him as "his guest".

Well I'll say this, love and miss Isaiah, but Kyrie's influence is definitely a lot bigger it seems. I mean, hasn't stepped on the court as a C's player and already makes First Take appeareance? Dang...

Hope that helps when trying to chase ring chasing FA's or trade targets in future.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:35:31 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Now that said, I would LOVE to see Kyrie toy around with the Dan Shaugnessy's and the Gary Tanguay's and the Michael Felger's of the Boston media

Those trolls deserve to get condescending treatment from Irving. I hope he gives it to them. Something tells me they're giving him a troll honeymoon, but that they'll eventually start ripping him apart for his kookier statements like he doesn't have an ego he has a presence and aura about him that's very reality-based, etc.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 10:43:05 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Now that said, I would LOVE to see Kyrie toy around with the Dan Shaugnessy's and the Gary Tanguay's and the Michael Felger's of the Boston media

Those trolls deserve to get condescending treatment from Irving. I hope he gives it to them. Something tells me they're giving him a troll honeymoon, but that they'll eventually start ripping him apart for his kookier statements like he doesn't have an ego he has a presence and aura about him that's very reality-based, etc.

Last night, Chris Sale of the Red Sox was at 299 K's and needed 1 more for 300.

So of course a lot of us are like, "he made it this far, let him go another inning to get 300 and be a part of HISTORY".

Here's the GOAT of Boston Media:

https://twitter.com/Dan_Shaughnessy/status/910682535738302464

https://twitter.com/Dan_Shaughnessy/status/910684496487313413

::)

(And of course, unlike many others, didn't even congratulate Sale on 300. Go figure.)

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 11:10:34 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Makes sense.  And his trade to BOS is arguably the biggest story-line of the summer for the NBA.

He also seems to want to jumpstart his path to "superstardom." A public display of confidence, and some dismissiveness re: LeBron, is pretty powerful.

And of course, he's a narcissist.  But that's probably helpful for pro athletes.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 11:44:46 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
And of course, he's a narcissist.

It's like the narcissism of a medium intellect after doing acid, he feels enlightened, his mind is blown, everything he says is woke.

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 11:51:36 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

It's like the narcissism of a medium intellect after doing acid, he feels enlightened, his mind is blown, everything he says is woke.

He would've made a great graduate student, especially in the social sciences.  I'm actually being serious.  He'd thrive in an environment of thought experiments, intellectualizing to the point of nausea, speaking to hear your own voice, etc.  I think I mean that as a compliment; otherwise I'm insulting myself.  I'm probably a narcissist too, I just suck at basketball.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:11:03 PM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 12:27:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

He would've made a great graduate student, especially in the social sciences.  I'm actually being serious.  He'd thrive in an environment of thought experiments, intellectualizing to the point of nausea, speaking to hear your own voice, etc.  I think I mean that as a compliment; otherwise I'm insulting myself.  I'm probably a narcissist too, I just suck at basketball.

Kyrie would be one of those guys who smugly tells a room full of unimpressed faculty that he "doesn't believe in statistics" when they all know the real reason is he doesn't know how to do them.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Kyrie would be one of those guys who smugly tells a room full of unimpressed faculty that he "doesn't believe in statistics" when they all know the real reason is he doesn't know how to do them.

I can see it.  The grasshopper with a 4.0 GPA from undergrad, in his first discussion-oriented class.  The sad part is watching that type get torn down and built back up into a robot.  But, he'll know statistics.     

Kyrie is a thoughtful dude, I'll give him that.  I appreciate the cerebral type.  Truthfully, if I hadn't become so fond of IT, I'd probably be able to warm up to him much more.

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 01:42:40 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Kyrie is a thoughtful dude, I'll give him that.

He is, can't deny it. Hopefully his wayward thoughtfulness gets taken under the wing by a more mature intellect, like Jaylen, who seems like the real deal when it comes to leadership and intelligence and being reality-based.

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Kyrie is a thoughtful dude, I'll give him that.

He is, can't deny it. Hopefully his wayward thoughtfulness gets taken under the wing by a more mature intellect, like Jaylen, who seems like the real deal when it comes to leadership and intelligence and being reality-based.
Yes, like when Jalen worked out all summer on a water only fast ;)

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I can see it.  The grasshopper with a 4.0 GPA from undergrad, in his first discussion-oriented class.  The sad part is watching that type get torn down and built back up into a robot.  But, he'll know statistics.     

It's based on a true story, and the guy never learned. A smart enough guy but having an ego that's rivaled only by your laziness is a baaaaaaad combo in that setting, especially when you embarrass your mentor in front of the entire department.

Kyrie is a thoughtful dude, I'll give him that.  I appreciate the cerebral type.  Truthfully, if I hadn't become so fond of IT, I'd probably be able to warm up to him much more.

He is, though he's the kind to sort of meander aimlessly around a string of existential buzzwords instead of providing much actual insight or novelty. But at least he's trying, and I'm very glad for the weirdness of it. Reminds me a little bit of Rondo interviews.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:00:58 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 04:50:16 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Kyrie strikes me as someone who thinks he's a lot smarter than he is. That can be dangerous.

It seems like he didn't like the narrative of him leaving Cleveland, so he went on tv to try and fix it. However, he was not self aware enough to realize that he's not going to change the narrative by dodging questions.

Going to Boston should be great for Kyrie though. Since the C's have a large established fan base Celtics fans are more likely to care about his performance for the green and white rather than why he left LeBron.

Personally I do not care why he left LeBron or the national media narrative, I just care about results.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 04:57:53 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Now I do wish First Take asked a lot more about Kyrie and the CELTICS (and Brad Stevens, etc.) as opposed to the trade rumors itself and Lebron

I think this is the case. He probably expected more of a balance in the questioning.

2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman