Author Topic: Do we believe Horford stays after this season? Or playoff failure means...  (Read 3933 times)

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Just read that the kings are maxing out Vucevic.. I think Orlando will give Vucevic the 5 yr max and he stays..
I can see Divac giving Horford - 3 yr ~ $120M which means he’s gone.
Remember he came to the Celtics because Atlanta didn’t want to do 5 years at the max but were offering 4 yrs... my gut feeling tells me Danny would max Al for 2 yrs after this season but 3 is too much...
Kings are in our position 3 years ago - up and coming and a lot of rookie deals on the books... they can afford to overpay.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
My prediction: Horford opts-out and then re-signs with Boston on a 4/75M deal.

Not sure if'd want to make that kind of commitment.

Horford's missed alot of games this season and worry if we kept him for another 4 years that he'd continue to gradually decline, physically.

For me, best case scenario is he opts-in for one more year and that's it.

I like Al, but also feel age and mileage and is starting to catch up to him.

I agree

Basketball players "peak" is over at 33-35

Horford in a year or two will become a good role or starter not to be depended on

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Just read that the kings are maxing out Vucevic.. I think Orlando will give Vucevic the 5 yr max and he stays..
Remember he came to the Celtics because Atlanta didn’t want to do 5 years at the max but were offering 4 yrs... my gut feeling tells me Danny would max Al for 2 yrs after this season but 3 is too much...
Kings are in our position 3 years ago - up and coming and a lot of rookie deals on the books... they can afford to overpay.

$40 million per season for Al??

That's a bit much.

That's like Durant/Harden territory.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

40 million per year? Pretty sure that's impossible for someone like Al Horford.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

I think Sacramento have the cap space... so $37.8M for first yr $39.7 2 yr and $41.7 3rd yr... my assumption is that Horford is eligible for 35% of the cap which is projected to be $108..
Notice I said that Divac can afford to overpay just like we could afford to overpay a second guy when Horford signed with us...
Not only I think Sacto are capable of doing this I think they should do it. Look at what happened with Denver after they brought in Horford ex teammate milsap on a max deal for three years.. now I don’t predict second seed for the kings next year but 5th seed is quite possible 🤷🏻‍♂️
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 03:12:13 PM by NKY fan »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I think Sacramento have the cap space... so $37.8M for first yr $39.7 2 yr and $41.7 3rd yr... my assumption is that Horford is eligible for 35% of the cap which is projected to be $108..
Notice I said that Divac can afford to overpay just like we could afford to overpay a second guy when Horford signed with us...
Not only I think Sacto are capable of doing this I think they should do it. Look at what happened with Denver after they brought in Horford ex teammate milsap on a max deal for three years.. now I don’t predict second seed for the kings next year but 5th seed is quite possible 🤷🏻‍♂️

You are correct, was looking at wrong max numbers for some reason.

That being said, extremely unlikely that Divac would throw that much money at Horford.

Also, Millsap's numbers haven't been impressive, but he's been a huge reason for their success on the defensive end.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

You are correct, was looking at wrong max numbers for some reason.

That being said, extremely unlikely that Divac would throw that much money at Horford.

Also, Millsap's numbers haven't been impressive, but he's been a huge reason for their success on the defensive end.
Divac and Sacto are absolutely capable of doing this....
now I had another nightmare thought - what if the lakers can’t sign any of their superstar targets and decide to outbid The kings for Al’s services?
This can make a lot of sense for them too

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think he stays, restructures his last year for a longer deal. Obviously this season has been well below expectation but I think if you're looking for an organization that is well run and a GM that will constantly make sure the team is in a position to contend there aren't too many other teams to consider than the Celtics. I can't see him going to Milwaukee...Al doesn't seem to be that mercenary type player. And he moved to Boston because he liked how strong the home crowd support is...even with Milwaukee leading the league I don't think their crowd support is as good as ours.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
There’s far worse things that could happen than to have Hayward, Brown, Smart, Tatum and an extra $40-$80 million in cap space from KI and Horford leaving.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There’s far worse things that could happen than to have Hayward, Brown, Smart, Tatum and an extra $40-$80 million in cap space from KI and Horford leaving.
Cap space doesn't work that way. If both Horford and Kyrie opt out and sign elsewhere, the Celtics would need to renounce every other free agent they have just so that they can max out at around $28-29 million in cap space, tops. And then the year after, you have none.

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
With the steady decline Horford has experienced in both health and productivity the last couple seasons ... I don’t think he’s starter caliber player in 2022... 2 years is the max amount of time we should retain him on starters salary. Otherwise we will be in tax hell

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Big Al stays and we ain't failing in the playoffs.