Author Topic: Do we believe Horford stays after this season? Or playoff failure means...  (Read 3931 times)

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Does Horford want to win a ring at this point in his career?

He'll go to Milwaukee or Golden State for cheap.

If Horford wants to win a ring he will have to take a major pay cut.  I do not see him opting out.

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I think he opts out and re-signs another deal with Boston. Like 4 years at $75-80 million. That basically means he is extending for 3 years at $45-50 million while helping Boston save $10 million off the luxury tax bill.

I feel the same way.  Something would need to go terrible wrong at an organizational level for Horford to leave.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He will opt out for another big contract from someone or the C's.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think if the Celts are willing to give him a long term deal into his mid-to-late 30s, he will stick around.

Personally I feel he's the most indispensable player on the team, regardless of whether they keep Kyrie or not.  They should pay him unless he wants max money.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think he opts out and re-signs another deal with Boston. Like 4 years at $75-80 million. That basically means he is extending for 3 years at $45-50 million while helping Boston save $10 million off the luxury tax bill.

I feel the same way.  Something would need to go terrible wrong at an organizational level for Horford to leave.

like this season?

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

like this season?

Let me be more specific.  There are no signs that Danny, Brad, and Wyc aren't on the same page.  Right now the team is dealing with issues between the roster itself.  However, it's certainly possible that tension could arise depending on how the Kyrie drama unfolds during the off-season.  For example, what if Kyrie has certain demands that cause a disagreement between Brad and Danny?  Something like this could cause Horford to question his belief in the team.  That said, I'm convinced he stays as long as everyone is on the same page with the future direction of team.

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
My prediction: Horford opts-out and then re-signs with Boston on a 4/75M deal.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
if C's look like they will remain competitive or improve ,  Al is not the traveling type ,  i think he 'd like stay .   I also think he has alot of respect for Stevens .

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
The team is not bottoming out next season if Kyrie leaves.

This is still a 50 win team without Kyrie and it is loaded with trade assets to make a move to be even better than that. There is no mass exodus of players running for the hills if Kyrie leaves. There is too much other talent on the team for that to happen.

yes but I still feel Horford wants to secure a ring

So he won't retire here unless this team is one of the top 3-4 in the league. At the moment, that is not the case
that's just your unsupported speculation. 

As stated, this team is still a really good team next year even if Kyrie leaves.  Unless Horford is opting out to start signing MLE-level contracts for the rest of his career, Boston is his best shot at a ring.

Celtics are not even top 3-4 in the East right now! 'Doh!

Right now yes but in the off season, if AD comes, him and AD are going to be a beast down low. With or without AD, team will improve due to player developments. Could be fighting for 3-5 seed next yr.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I’d be surprised if Horford leaves. I’d also be surprised if another team offers him big money for an extended time
- LilRip

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Not sure if'd want to make that kind of commitment.

Horford's missed alot of games this season and worry if we kept him for another 4 years that he'd continue to gradually decline, physically.

For me, best case scenario is he opts-in for one more year and that's it.

I like Al, but also feel age and mileage and is starting to catch up to him.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Not sure if'd want to make that kind of commitment.

Horford's missed alot of games this season and worry if we kept him for another 4 years that he'd continue to gradually decline, physically.

For me, best case scenario is he opts-in for one more year and that's it.

I like Al, but also feel age and mileage and is starting to catch up to him.
Its really just a 3 year extension at $15 million a year. Al's game isn't about elite athleticism. He is still in great shape but his athleticism has never been elite. His game is about intelligence, skill, effort and good athleticism. It will age well and he should be a great 4th - 5th option for the next 4 years while playing the glue guy, wise old veteran role.

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
he isnt the same.  i hope he opts out.   takes a really reduced salary or moves on. 

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
The team is not bottoming out next season if Kyrie leaves.

This is still a 50 win team without Kyrie and it is loaded with trade assets to make a move to be even better than that. There is no mass exodus of players running for the hills if Kyrie leaves. There is too much other talent on the team for that to happen.

yes but I still feel Horford wants to secure a ring

So he won't retire here unless this team is one of the top 3-4 in the league. At the moment, that is not the case
that's just your unsupported speculation. 

As stated, this team is still a really good team next year even if Kyrie leaves.  Unless Horford is opting out to start signing MLE-level contracts for the rest of his career, Boston is his best shot at a ring.

Celtics are not even top 3-4 in the East right now! 'Doh!

Right now yes but in the off season, if AD comes, him and AD are going to be a beast down low. With or without AD, team will improve due to player developments. Could be fighting for 3-5 seed next yr.

Just realized a great 5 rotation: Baynes, Horford, AD, Tatum, Kyrie. AD is your small forward.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Love Al.

What a great Celtic.

Hope he stays. Negotiate extension.