Author Topic: What is going on with Jaylen Brown's role?  (Read 4953 times)

What is going on with Jaylen Brown's role?
« on: March 27, 2019, 10:41:49 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The C's have four wings in its regular rotation in Tatum, Morris, Hayward and Brown. My perception is that of the four, Jaylen Brown has been the best overall player for over two months now. However, he appears to be last of the four in Stevens pecking order.

He's getting substantially less minutes and shots than Tatum and Morris. When Hayward is healthy, it appears his role is also a higher priority too. Last night, Jaylen played 18 minutes on a night when Kyrie took the night off. Instead, Rozier absorbed more minutes before Jaylen.

He makes mistakes on both sides of the ball, but it sure looks to me like he makes less of them than the other three rotation wings do. His effort and attitude seems better too.

Am I missing something? What is going on here?

Re: What is going on with Jaylen Brown's role?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 10:57:17 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
^exactly this. He is one of our best young talents and can produce right now, yet our coach finds ways to bury him on the bench after great performances. TP for making this thread, this needs to be addressed soon by Brad imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 11:09:53 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Its simple.

Hayward is Coach's pet, and needs to get back into old form (might never ever happen)

Ainge needs Haywards value raised up in case he needs to trade him,

Tatum needs his value as high as possible if he is being used in a trade for Davis( I would hope Hayward and Tatum for Davis + imo, Keep brown and Smart on the wings)

Jaylen is mature enough to handle the screwed up roles.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 11:12:27 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Its simple.

Hayward is Coach's pet, and needs to get back into old form (might never ever happen)

Tatum needs his value as high as possible if he is being used in a trade for Davis( I would hope Hayward and Tatum for Davis + imo, Keep brown and Smart on the wings)

What about Morris then? Rozier as well.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 11:12:51 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I've also been surprised that Brown isn't getting more minutes, so I agree with you there.

I'm not sure I'd agree that Brown is clearly ahead of Hayward now.

Over the last two months (Feb and March), the minutes per game are almost the same - Hayward has 25 mpg, and Brown 25.5.

Hayward is shooting 39.1% from 3, 53% from the floor, good for 11.6 points per game. 4 boards, 3.5 assists.
Over the same period, Brown has scored a little more, at 13.6 per game, but he's also taking more shots and shooting a lower percentage - 36% from 3, 48% overall. Brown has the same rebound total, but he's definitely less effective as a creator/ballhandler, with only 1 assist per game.

Brown is clearly the better individual defender, but I'd say he makes fewer headshaking mistakes in team defense/blown assignments.

Net, pretty close, different skillsets.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 11:13:02 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
His effort and attitude seems better too.

Do we know that to be true? We're not in practice or around the team everyday. Who knows what really goes on behind the scenes. The coaching staff know and see more on a day to day basis and makes decisions based off of that.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I have no idea as, I agree with the post.

Does Brown respond to the coach benching him and cutting minutes?
Is this how Stevens challenges Brown to play better?

Morris isn't in at the end of games that much anymore. For awhile, Brown was finishing fourth quarters.

This season, Brown has been benched and had his minutes cut from last season. I think it's clear he's made himself a better player, in many ways. He can even threaten to "take over a game" sort of.

My only guess is Stevens "pressures" Brown by shorting his minutes...(unless the kid has 'soreness'/injury or whatever).

This is a tough time of year. The seedings are set. Players need and are getting rest.

I will say this Hayward + Brown off of the bench?

That's pretty dang good.

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 11:14:20 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Its simple.

Morris is because Brad wants to help his get a contract.

Rozier is because he wants his team in a routine come playoff time. Kyrie plays 35 minutes, if no Kyrie, need rozier to do the same to keep everyone else in the same minutes groove.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 11:16:16 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't know but would certainly like to see more Jaylen & less Morris come playoff time.

It's frustrating to watch Morris make so many poor decisions out there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 11:16:44 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Its simple.

Rozier is because he wants his team in a routine come playoff time. Kyrie plays 35 minutes, if no Kyrie, need rozier to do the same to keep everyone else in the same minutes groove.
What? Isn't it in our best interests that Morris gets low offers to re-sign him on a cheaper deal? The Rozier one is okay I guess, but meh I'd rather get Jaylen into a routine first.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 11:21:13 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
I don't know but would certainly like to see more Jaylen & less Morris come playoff time.

It's frustrating to watch Morris make so many poor decisions out there.

I really cannot stand morris, and like I have stated about 60 times already, he and Rozier should have been moved for a 2 year, 10ish mill a year contract at the deadline.

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Its simple.

What? Isn't it in our best interests that Morris gets low offers to re-sign him on a cheaper deal? The Rozier one is okay I guess, but meh I'd rather get Jaylen into a routine first.

I dont think there is anyway Morris is back next season. Perhaps if he signed for 5 mill per season again, but he wants a payday, and no way should boston ever match. They got what they could out of Morris and they know it.

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 11:31:57 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Its simple.

I dont think there is anyway Morris is back next season. Perhaps if he signed for 5 mill per season again, but he wants a payday, and no way should boston ever match. They got what they could out of Morris and they know it.
Then even less reason to play him over our young talent if it isn't conducive to winning then, which seems to be the case here with Stevens.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 11:32:42 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
What if Stevens isn't playing Brown, so his trade value plummets, and NOP would be forced to have to take Tatum only?

#staywoke
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 11:35:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
What if Stevens isn't playing Brown, so his trade value plummets, and NOP would be forced to have to take Tatum only?

#staywoke

I don't know what it does for Brown's psyche but I applaud the conspiracy theory.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team