Author Topic: Celtics Are Now 15-2 When Hayward Scores 15+ In A Game  (Read 2976 times)

Re: Celtics Are Now 15-2 When Hayward Scores 15+ In A Game
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 05:44:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hayward as he is being paid max should be having no less than 15 FGA/game, regardless if he is having a bad shooting night...on a good night should be shooting atleast 20 times.

Right now coming off the bench has not given him that much opportunities and just content on facilitating and attempting about 8 per game...way too low imo.

I have to question the wisdom of creating an offensive gameplan that distributes shot attempts based on salary.  But that's just me.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 05:53:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Almost as if he's our second best all-round offensive player!

Who is the best? Oh nevermind ...I know eho your answer.

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 06:07:18 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
If you look at Hayward's per 36 numbers it's very similar to his career averages except for FTA as others have pointed out

Hayward was the man at Utah taking about 20 shots per game. This season he's taking around half that

I just want him to hit his open shots and improve on defence and anything other than that is a bonus.

Another pre season and Hayward should have his speed and strength back, that's what I'm looking forward too the most with him

Hayward never averaged more than 15.8 shots per game.  In spite of your exaggeration, I can't totally disagree with your main point.  The main difference though is efficiency.  He averaged around 20 points on 15 shots in his prime in Utah; for us he is around 11 points on around 9 shots.  And even per 36, he would be only be at about 15 pts on 12 shots.  He is not the same Gordon Hayward yet.  He could shoot more but I suspect that would drive the efficiency down even further.

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 06:20:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Also 11-2 without Irving.  Perhaps they should just bench Irving and force feed Hayward shots.

Schedule matters, right?

This is a pretty clever post man. TP

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 06:43:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Problem with this stat is that only 5 of those games were against actual good teams (top eight west, top 5 east, ie clearly above .500 teams). In those games we are a robust 4-1, but the fact that most of his good game come against bad teams may simply be an indicator that like all players he plays better against bad teams.

This is a fair point. It would also be interesting to see the actual number of shot attempts he took in those games compared to others since that could certainly be a factor (example: he scores 16 points but does it on like a mediocre 5-15 shooting).

But I also am confident in saying that our recipe for success this postseason will come from more Hayward shots and LESS Rozier + Morris. Rozier and Morris can still contribute and have a great game or two, but I doubt they can be consistent while I do think Hayward has the potential to be given he is given more minutes (even if off the bench).

Part of the issue has been it seems that Hayward will have a great game or two, but then because of injuries or what not the rotations and minutes get moved around a bit and so Hayward can end up not having an impact for that game. Yes, part of that is on Hayward himself, he needs to more assertive and aggressive, but the other part is simply Rozier and Morris playing for contracts. I mean, when they are on the court you often see those two (and Tatum sometimes) take dumb shots while Hayward or Brown are wide open or making a cut inside and they don't make the pass. Infuriating  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 06:56:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
he seems to eat up the scrub teams ....like he has a "Jones" for scrub teams  ;D

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 07:13:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Almost as if he's our second best all-round offensive player!

Who is the best? Oh nevermind ...I know eho your answer.
Literally who else could it be? Could it be our dollar shop Melo? Maybe Morris??

You’re absolutely blinded by bias if you don’t think Kyrie is night and day our best offensive player. He’s one of top 10-15 in the entire league 
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 08:08:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
he seems to eat up the scrub teams ....like he has a "Jones" for scrub teams  ;D

Yeah like the Warriors.

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 12:56:57 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
A note to Brad Stevens: When the team is fully healthy (or very close to it) then LESS Morris & Rozier, MORE Brown & Hayward.

Love seeing Hayward starting to get more shot attempts (he's had between 10-13 the last few games), but please no more seeing Morris and Rozier jack up 15-18 shots a game (usually 3/4 of them being low IQ shots and mostly missing).

In instances like tonight or in recent games where Kyrie, Horford, Timelord, Hayward and/or Baynes are out, then fine, I can understand it a little, but once we're healthy and come playoff time, please adjust.

The team definitely needs to adjust in the playoffs.  Arguably the biggest change needs to come from Gordon himself.  It's time for him to throw caution out the window, especially when it comes to fear of getting in the way of his teammates.

That's probably the number 1 reason he hasn't disturbed the chemistry the way Irving has.

Irving came in and has to act like the team belongs to him and everything goes through him and everyone and everything should be controlled by him.

In a nutshell, this is why I wouldn't mind seeing him walk, and wouldn't mind Gordon staying.

Then there's the whole willingness to pass thing, the defense thing, and the height thing...which allows Gordon to have a bigger impact down low even though his lateral quickness is not there yet.