Author Topic: If Irving walks, did the Celtics lose the trade with the Cavs (Sexton)?  (Read 3738 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Irving for Sexton is what it ultimately has come down to

If the Celts don't make it far in the playoffs and Irving walks after this season, would you consider the Celts losing the trade with the Cavs?

**In hindsight, I don't think many wouldn't have made that trade 9 out of 10 times

But Sexton looks amazing and on his way to become a future star

This type of short term gain sacrificing long term stability could result again If the Celts trade Tatum + Brown for AD .... reminder

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Irving for Sexton is what it ultimately has come down to

If the Celts don't make it far in the playoffs and Irving walks after this season, would you consider the Celts losing the trade with the Cavs?

**In hindsight, I don't think many wouldn't have made that trade 9 out of 10 times

But Sexton looks amazing and on his way to become a future star

This type of short term gain sacrificing long term stability could result again If the Celts trade Tatum + Brown for AD .... reminder

Thanks for the joke triboy16f.

You do realize that Sexton is not only taking 14.4 FGA, he's also averaging -0.7 W/S, and 2.8 APG?

His PER is 11.8, not to mention he's also awful defensively.

That being said, I like Sexton, but I think he needs to work on a lot of things, and unfortunately CLE is just the worst place to build healthy habits.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Certainly the Celts hoped to get more out of the trade than that.  It would be tough not to come away with any value beyond 2 years from that trade.

With that said, I would guess that there's a Sexton caliber guard talent in the mid to late lottery of most drafts.  At least based on what we've seen so far.  As far as we know, he could be another Jordan Clarkson.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Certainly the Celts hoped to get more out of the trade than that.  It would be tough not to come away with any value beyond 2 years from that trade.

With that said, I would guess that there's a Sexton caliber guard talent in the mid to late lottery of most drafts.  At least based on what we've seen so far.  As far as we know, he could be another Jordan Clarkson.

Sexton is already better than Clarkson

Better shooter, scorer and plays with more effort on the defensive end.   Much more explosive

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No, they didn’t.

2 years of Kyrie is better than a rotation of Sexton / Rozier for god knows how long
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Per NBA.com stats, Sexton's offensive and defensive ratings are 104.7 and 116.8 for a net rating of -12.1.  Yikes!!! 

The Bull's team +/- with Sexton on the court is -8.0.  With Sexton off court, it is -1.0.  Ugh!!!

Seems like he may be on track to be the Bull's Andrew Wiggins. 

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Per NBA.com stats, Sexton's offensive and defensive ratings are 104.7 and 116.8 for a net rating of -12.1.  Yikes!!! 

The Bull's team +/- with Sexton on the court is -8.0.  With Sexton off court, it is -1.0.  Ugh!!!

Seems like he may be on track to be the Bull's Andrew Wiggins.
*Cavs
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Also this is a bit silly... because who even knows if we would have drafted sexton. The trade was won the moment the Nets pick didn't end up top 5 and IT went from all-star starter to irrelevant player. It is over with..

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
impossible to gage .   There is no telling what trade or deal DA might have come up with. 

If nothing else , it was an excuse to not take IT with a bad hip and he performed well.  Im good with it how ever Danny works it all out .  It was worth a gamble .
b
My fear was Kyrie might have too much collateral social  damage from being around Coach , GM Lebron , lebron seeing that Irving special certain players get special treatment and handling ALL DAY LONG.  Lebron was teaching him to be a diva very early.   Lebron is giant spoiled brat. 

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
In hindsight, of course...unless we win the championship this year. I am not blown away by Sexton or anything, but assume DA would have taken somebody useful.

But, you have to take a chance when a superstar becomes available and I am happy we have an aggressive, yet calculated, GM.

Re: If Irving walks, did the Celtics lose the trade with the Cavs (Sexton)?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 09:02:09 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
No, it was a good gamble Kyrie's just a head case.

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 09:10:38 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
yep.   

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 09:39:06 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
That means we give Isaiah Thomas the brinks truck, and see him sit out for a season and watch him play like a 3rd string PG when he returns.

:/

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 09:42:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
It’s a fair question.

I guess yes they did.

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 09:43:29 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
That means we give Isaiah Thomas the brinks truck, and see him sit out for a season and watch him play like a 3rd string PG when he returns.

:/

BINGO!
TP