Author Topic: Do people seriously believe this team can go to the finals?  (Read 5626 times)

Re: Do people seriously believe this team can go to the finals?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2019, 11:48:46 PM »

Kiorrik

Not since the first game I saw. I think last season was a bit of a fluke + perfect storm. Not saying we're rubbish. Just saying we're not top 4 in the league, imo.

PS.: I also think this season is a bit of a fluke as well. Just in the other direction.

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2019, 11:51:00 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I believe this team will win their 1st game in the playoffs by some ridiculous margin, leading them to believe they can just show up and they will then proceed to lose 4 straight.

they play dumb and this coach should be held accountable. there's 30 other coaches that would love to have this roster.

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 12:12:35 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
No, and right now it seems like they want to be done ASAP.

well part of the team seems disconnected at this point.  Seems like mainly players who expect to get traded or not resigned.  Unfortunately for them teams remember how you finish out a season.

Jayson Tatum has suffered the most from the drama and chemistry issues this season. Still a young kid who is going to be a big-time star in this league.
Personally, I hope he becomes that star with the Celtics, but I have full confidence in Danny trading him away.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 12:23:06 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think it's crazy to think this team couldn't go to the finals. Who knows if they will, but statically and they certainly have the makings.

Top 10 offense
Top 5 defense
Top 5 net rating

Add to that great assist metrics, low turnovers and an elite shot maker... we have the ingredients.

The problem is we wane a lot. Playoffs mean shorter benches, in-depth scheming, and more intensity. Those are things that probably improve our chances overall.

I'm not saying we'll get out of the East, and certainly I've been frustrated by this season too. I am saying threads like this are too chicken little for my taste.

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 12:24:20 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
No, and right now it seems like they want to be done ASAP.

well part of the team seems disconnected at this point.  Seems like mainly players who expect to get traded or not resigned.  Unfortunately for them teams remember how you finish out a season.

Jayson Tatum has suffered the most from the drama and chemistry issues this season. Still a young kid who is going to be a big-time star in this league.
Personally, I hope he becomes that star with the Celtics, but I have full confidence in Danny trading him away.
Gotta agree with you. His defense hasn't been good all year but when the drama started, and since, his defensive effort disappeared.

And what happened to his three point shot? He might have started to struggle with his three point shooting just before the crapstorm happened but all the stuff that went on and the losing, could not have helped his ability to get back on track. I think he is shooting like 28% from three since early February.

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 12:26:24 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
This team can absolutely go to the Finals...

if they buy tickets on stubhub or from the league office.

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2019, 12:27:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Not since the first game I saw. I think last season was a bit of a fluke + perfect storm. Not saying we're rubbish. Just saying we're not top 4 in the league, imo.

PS.: I also think this season is a bit of a fluke as well. Just in the other direction.

Kiorrik!

When was the last time I saw a post of yours?

I think you're probably right about the flukes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2019, 10:46:57 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Top end talent wins when it matters.  Boston doesn't have any true top end talent.

That said, Atlanta beat Philadelphia and Dallas beat Golden State.  Sometimes worse teams beat better ones.  It just happens.

I’m pretty sure kyrie is gonna make all second team. What is too end?
All NBA Teams are not necessarily indicative of how good a player is.  I mean IT4 finished 5th in MVP and made the 2nd Team, but he obviously wasn't that good, but his season was.  Irving is a top 15ish player in the league.  That isn't good enough to form the basis of a true consistent contender.  Sure a weird season (like last year) and that level of player could be the best player on a title winner, but it is a one off type situation where everything aligns perfectly.  Shame Irving was injured last year for the playoffs because that may have been Boston's only real shot with Irving as the best player on account of the turmoil with the Cavs and the 2 rising stars not quite ready for the big time (Giannis and Joel).  For Boston to be a real and consistent contender, Tatum needs to elevate into a true upper echelon player or Tatum (and other assets) need to be traded for someone that is that type of player. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2019, 10:57:35 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
This team can absolutely go to the Finals...

if they buy tickets on stubhub or from the league office.

LOL....good one.  TP!

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2019, 11:30:57 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
This team has Marcus Morris in the starting lineup. Of course they can’t make the finals.

TP

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 11:49:32 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
They never got rid of "last year's team." Weeks ago, there was a game where they had Rozier, Tatum, Brown, Horford and Smart on the court They went on a 17 to 3 run and basically tied the game.

It was last year's "playoff team".

What happened this year is they never "killed off" last year's team with trades, they just "added" Irving and a recovering Hayward. That is all they did.

Rozier and Brown benched.
Then, Hayward benched.
Smart and Morris to the starting lineup.

With the above complete "everybody stood there and watched Irving play."

Fifteen games later? This wasn't a good idea so, they worked on changing things up (above) and went on a run.

I know Irving is a great player. Point guards don't carry teams to titles. It is a team. Ask IT, he tried.

From this past few weeks, it's hard to see the Celtics knocking off the Pacers, Bucks and Raptors.

The truth is, it is not impossible. It will be up to Stevens to convince his team that they are underdogs. Right now that isn't the case.

Watch the Nets. They are playing like they have nothing to lose.
The Nets are playing like last year's 20 PPG "scary Terry" Celtics.

"Us against the world" works...ask Bill, Tom Brady and the "everybody thinks we suck" Patriots.

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2019, 11:54:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
nope

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2019, 12:35:59 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think they can and probably will make the finals. Not that it's a great team but all the teams in the East still have problems. I'm not sold on any of them while the C's are the most battle tested. When it's a series I think that experience will show and they will come out the East.

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2019, 12:45:44 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
At this point, this team could lose in the first round or win the ECF. 

I have no idea but I wouldn't bat an eye to either occurring.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Here's what I don't understand. We had a 42-18 record last season with Kyrie IN the lineup. We had a 13-9 record with him OUT of the lineup (10 of those games were against teams that were .500 or lower at the time that we played them).

This year we have a 33-28 record with him in the lineup, and 10-2 with him OUT of the lineup (10 of those games were against teams that were .500 or lower at the time we played them).

So for whatever reason last season they got along just fine with Kyrie in the lineup. Only thing different is that this season Jaylen is coming off the bench with Mook and Smart starting, last season Jaylen was starting and Mook and Smart were coming off the bench. Gordon wasn't there last season and has been on the bench this season for all but the first 20 games. How is it that all of a sudden this year we have all these chemistry issues and team issues of "young guys vs vets"?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D