Author Topic: Sullinger = high basketball iq  (Read 4252 times)

Sullinger = high basketball iq
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:29:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I have not seen in a long time a rookie with Sullinger's iq.

Not only he has improved two folds from the start of the season, it just keeps going north, game after game.

For example I just re watched yesterday's game. And in the beginning of the 4th quarter, on the offensive end i saw sullinger tell KG what to do, then Jason Terry what to do and next the basket was in. I just couldn't believe my eyes when i saw this 20 year old kid, direct kg to head to the basket to create a mismatch adv, and told terry to lobby it to kg for the easy basket. And phx couldn't do anything because of where everyone was.

Also on defense , when you watch him closely he never stops moving. He is always ready to help, take/distract other people he is not guarding, while not losing sight of his man. He seems to understand the habit of the person he is guarding , and knows when to cheat and when not to. Its like having an extra man defending out there.

On offense, if he is not directing the play (KG + Terry), he is boxing out guys like crazy. Not only he is roughing each player on the court pretty much but in more than one instances he was holding off two guys while other celts got more breathing room to shoot or drive in an easier layup. Its quite amazing to see.

He is already becoming an advanced player. I also like doc's strategy to bring him off the bench. I mean he could easily start right now. But when you bring his strength from the bench while everyone else is a little tired on the floor, they really suffer battling this kid. Back to the phx game when he was out, i got a nightmare glimpse of how we been losing games thus far this year. Suddenly other teams run with their momentum and we lose. But once sully was brought back in, phx couldn't score properly again.

I can't wait to see how advanced his iq will be by the end of the season.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:35:41 PM by triboy16f »

Re: Sullinger = high basketball iq
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:36:36 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
It's funny how everyone was on this guy about his lack of athleticism.... iq > athleticism, ask Gerald Green.

Sully is destined to be a 15 10 guy and a great defender based on iq alone. And we got him at pick 21 [dang]... 21 is our lucky number

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:00:28 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
"I just re watched yesterday's game"

Haha, there ya go. True dedication!

He's a smart player for sure. I'm more interested to see how he treats this offseason. Hopefully he takes it seriously and drops 10 lbs of baby fat and maybe adds some muscle. That would/is going to be big for his future.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:07:41 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

He's a smart player for sure. I'm more interested to see how he treats this offseason. Hopefully he takes it seriously and drops 10 lbs of baby fat and maybe adds some muscle. That would/is going to be big for his future.

I know some people don't take a lot of stock in it but the fact that his Dad has coached him for so much of his life is a good thing for the offseason. I'm sure he will be on him non stop.

Not that it really matters but where is Sully ranking as far as other rookies around the league? I don't know anything about any rookies other than Damian Lillard (sp?) and The Brow. Is Sully top 10 or or possibly  top 5?

Just curious how much the national media has caught on and if he's been worthy. Obviously I know he's been talked about as the "steal of the draft" but I'm talking about a raw ranking

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:07:58 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I love Sully.  I think he has already earned the respect of Doc and the vets not only because he can play, but because he is so smart.  Not Rondo smart, but Sully just knows what's going on during a game.

I'd love to see Sully start, but I really like our bench mob of Jet, Lee, Green, and Sully, so I guess Bass gets the nod for now.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:09:34 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Well, the celtics did this with perk when hr arrived, so I think they can help transform sully as well.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 11:16:27 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!

I know some people don't take a lot of stock in it but the fact that his Dad has coached him for so much of his life is a good thing for the offseason. I'm sure he will be on him non stop.

Not that it really matters but where is Sully ranking as far as other rookies around the league? I don't know anything about any rookies other than Damian Lillard (sp?) and The Brow. Is Sully top 10 or or possibly  top 5?

Just curious how much the national media has caught on and if he's been worthy. Obviously I know he's been talked about as the "steal of the draft" but I'm talking about a raw ranking

Here's an easy way to scan the rookies and compare what they've been doing. Sully is 3rd in winshares....if you believe in those.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2012.html

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 11:30:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I love Sully.  I think he has already earned the respect of Doc and the vets not only because he can play, but because he is so smart. Not Rondo smart, but Sully just knows what's going on during a game.

I'd love to see Sully start, but I really like our bench mob of Jet, Lee, Green, and Sully, so I guess Bass gets the nod for now.

Sorry but i disagree. In general he is Rondo smart if not smarter at times. He rarely makes any game changing mistakes on both ends of the court. The ones he has is that at times his shots get blocked.  He has to watch tapes on guys like scola and randolph and see how they operate down low in iso situations without getting blocked so much.

Otherwise when you see him help your team out on both ends of the court without the ball sometimes, that is what you call smart. On defense he is taking on two guys and "cheats" off his man without getting burnt. When he gets switched, he pushes kg onto getting his man. (btw they look like they have very good chemistry on the court)

On offense like the way he picks up non stat assists . He screens and moves around the court a certain way to give players a high percentage shot.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:36:52 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 11:56:16 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
I love Sully.  I think he has already earned the respect of Doc and the vets not only because he can play, but because he is so smart. Not Rondo smart, but Sully just knows what's going on during a game.

Sorry but i disagree. In general he is Rondo smart if not smarter at times. He rarely makes any game changing mistakes on both ends of the court. The ones he has is that at times his shots get blocked.  He has to watch tapes on guys like scola and randolph and see how they operate down low in iso situations without getting blocked so much.

Otherwise when you see him help your team out on both ends of the court without the ball sometimes, that is what you call smart. On defense he is taking on two guys and "cheats" off his man without getting burnt. When he gets switched, he pushes kg onto getting his man. (btw they look like they have very good chemistry on the court)

On offense like the way he picks up non stat assists . He screens and moves around the court a certain way to give players a high percentage shot.

I agree. I loved watching him last night grab the offensive rebound for the putback, hustle to the other end and draw the charge. He does so much right out there.

I just can't believe he's only a rookie. I'm convinced skys the limit for this kid

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 12:19:51 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
To add...

Apparently he's now 19th in the league in rebounds per 48 mins.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/sullinger-proving-be-steal-nba-draft

Top 20 rebounder 35 games into his career

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 02:12:57 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
to add another....

SPLITS   GP   MPG   FG%   RPG   APG   BLKPG   STPG   PFPG   PPG
Last 10 Games   10   23.9   .550   7.8   1.4   0.5   0.5   4.3   8.5

double double is coming...stay tunned

last 5 games rebounds up..points down
still pretty close

GAME LOG
DATE   MIN   FGM-FGA   FG%   3PM-3PA   3P%   FTM-FTA   FT%   REB   AST   BLK   STL   PF   TO   PTS

Last 5 Games   25.2   3.2-7.2   .444   0.0-0.0   .000   1.4-2.2   .636   9.0   1.2   0.8   0.2   4.2   0.6   7.8

he have to limit his paint isos to missmatch while he learns..any other thing is good to very good to me
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
Danny Ainge is the 19th-21st pick draft bandit.

rondo: 19
avery: 21
sullinge: 21

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 08:55:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You got Rondo's and Avery's draft position mixed up.

Rondo: 21
Bradley: 19
Sully: 21

Extremely impressive.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 08:57:41 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

Extremely impressive.
youre right, that makes it even more impressive.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 09:01:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Extremely impressive.
youre right, that makes it even more impressive.

The thing I like is that the picks (outside of Sully) weren't necessarily obvious.

At the time, Rondo wasn't seen as head and shoulders above the other guys left on the board.  In fact, many fans wanted Marcus Williams over him.

Similarly, Avery Bradley wasn't seen as the clear choice.  I remember a lot of fans lamenting missing out on James Anderson.

Now Sully, that one was obvious.  A whole lot of GMs outsmarted themselves on that one, a lot like they did with Paul Pierce.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes