Author Topic: Where's Kelly?  (Read 4829 times)

Re: Where's Kelly?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 07:46:15 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I really don't think it's fair to judge olynyk this yr. he's in desperate need of gaining muscle weight like a lot of 1st yr. players. particularly a 1st yr pf.

I think he has shown that he makes a lot of the right decisions. but a lot of times making the play actually happen he's a step behind because like a lot of 1st yr players they have to adjust to the speed of the NBA. he's thinking, not reacting.

all of these things are correctable. 

so, so far he's a typical rookie imo. doesn't mean anything to me just yet.

Exactly, +1.

In a perfect world on my team, (lol) I play Sullinger, Humphries and Olynyk all the big minutes in a 3 man rotation.

Faverani being the emergency foul trouble guy.

Get rid of Bass of course.

Kelly will be much better next year after a few hundred more reps where he doesnt have to think about where to be or what to do. Imagine him with KG in his ear, he would be fine by now.  ;D
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 09:26:39 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
At best he is a 2nd or 3rd guy off the bench. At worst he will be out of the league in three years. What happened to all of those who were talking about him as a rookie of the year candidate?

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 09:48:04 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
At best he is a 2nd or 3rd guy off the bench. At worst he will be out of the league in three years. What happened to all of those who were talking about him as a rookie of the year candidate?

So far it appears that we were wrong.  He's still got more than half a season to go, though. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 10:13:25 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
He may not come off the bench well. He seemed to be doing good, as a starter, before he got hurt.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 09:04:43 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think Kelly is going to be a lot better once he's on the floor with a true playmaker at point.  I see him get ignored by Crawford and Bradley a LOT on offense.  The only guys who seem to look for him when he's on the floor are Wallace and Sullinger.  I also think he's just going to need to grow into his role as an NBA player, physically and mentally.

He does good things when he's out there, from what I've seen.  He's still working his way to the point where he can make a significant impact overall, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 09:07:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Right now I think he's pretty good as a 4th big who can play at either big spot.  I think he can develop into a quality 3rd big.

I don't agree with you about him being out of the league in 3 years.  He's got too much skill to go with his size, and he's shown that he can be a solid rebounder despite having more of an outside game on offense. 

Big guys who can shoot the three and aren't total stiffs in other areas of the game tend to stick around for a while.

At the very least, he's as good as Anthony Tolliver, right?  That guy finds a job every year.

Regarding the ROY talk, I don't think it was crazy to think he could be a challenger, at least.  The trouble for Kelly is that he's had some nagging injuries that have kept him off the floor, and he's also got significant competition for big man minutes on this team. 

If he had been 100% healthy from day one and played 28+ minutes a game despite his ups and downs, I think he'd be putting up solid "counting stats" (not saying he'd be efficient or good on defense).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain