Author Topic: Interesting Hollinger Article on Value Pick-ups before 3/15  (Read 1860 times)

Interesting Hollinger Article on Value Pick-ups before 3/15
« on: March 08, 2012, 11:18:15 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
These are they types of players and value moves that more likely to occur this year, it seems. A couple of these ideas are ones that I like, and generally I think it could make sense for the Cs to use their cap space for 2012 to take on a short contract that another team wants to be rid of in exchange for some talent. Such a deal was raised in another thread last night with NJ, and indeed Farmer is listed below.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/PERDiem-120307/nba-players-teams-trade-for

Example, would you trade for (one year of) Stephan Jackson if it meant getting a couple of young pieces from MIL, like Larry Sanders and / or Tobias Harris. I actually think Jackson could be a nice addition consider how shortly we need to have him around and his fit with the age and experience of the Big 3. he might come in handy in the playoffs. Example deal:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7yh2hbr

Others:

Anthony Randolph ~ RFA after the year in low demand, and out of MIN's plans. Could Doc get to him?

young Houston players ~ Would prob need to be a Pierce deal to be worthwhile, but the argument is guys like Budinger and Morris have strong potential but aren't likely to play much there.

I'll let others peruse the rest...

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Interesting Hollinger Article on Value Pick-ups before 3/15
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I think the Bucks would be better off keeping the younger talent and hope for the best in the future. They definitely won't be players in free agency, and Jackson would hold more value next year as an expiring contract.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:51:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Why the bucks don't amnesty Jax i have no idea.

They traded for him before the new CBA, right? Part of the Fredette trade?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

It's generally stupid to amnesty someone unless you need cap space or you can reduce your luxury tax bill.  The Bucks don't fit either.  (And, of course, you can't amnesty someone mid-season.)
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:57:46 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

They traded for him before the new CBA, right? Part of the Fredette trade?

Maybe they doubt another team will pick him up for a significant portion of it, and don't want to pay him to walk? He might have a more attractive pick-up at the beginning of the year. His value has gone down, obviously.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:44:46 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
This from Ken Berger today:

'The Bucks have fielded what one source described as an "amazing" number of inquiries about Stephen Jackson, who has clashed with coach Scott Skiles. But the offers for Jackson, owed $10.1 million next season, have included Milwaukee being asked to take on future salary or include another player or draft pick to sweeten the deal. "It's going to be hard to move him by himself," the source said.'
Mike

(My name is not Mike)