Author Topic: Potential MIL/GSW/BOS trade with conditions  (Read 5767 times)

Potential MIL/GSW/BOS trade with conditions
« on: November 16, 2009, 01:40:02 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
GSW Trades:

Monta Ellis (to BOS)

GSW Receives:

Luke Ridnour
Bill Walker
Joe Alexander
Cs Future Protected 1st round pick

MIL Trades:

Luke Ridnour (to GSW)
LR Mbah a Moute (to Boston)
Dan Gadzuric (to Boston)
Joe Alexander (to GSW)

MIL Receives:

Ray Allen

BOS Trades:

Ray Allen (to MIL)
Bill Walker (to GSW)
Future Protected 1st round pick

BOS Receives:

Monta Ellis
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
Dan Gadzuric

This is a trade I could see making sense for all three teams if the following problems / issues develop:

1)   The situation between Ellis and The Warriors continues to deteriorate, and they decide they have to move on without Ellis, and build around Curry in the backcourt (they get a PG suited for their system, 2 young athletic wings – all in expiring deals -- and likely a pick from the Cs);

2)   The Bucks would like to make a playoff push this season while saving substantial money for 2010 (they get Ray back which will boost professionalism, ticket sales and winning while losing Gadzuric’s deal);

3)   The Celtics head down a road we all fear – their age begins to show more and more substantially over the coming weeks, and a championship run looks weak for this year, and even more bleak for next year and beyond.

While Ellis is not a great shooter, he’s an energetic young scorer getting a bad wrap for an immature mistake, and a nasty Golden State situation no one envies. I’m sure I’ll get responses about how the Celtics only should take on ‘good guys’ like Ray, but I think that’s a façade to an extent – Larry Bird? Kobe Bryant? Michael Jordan? Not every champion is a model citizen. Considering they’d both signed new contracts, what was more regrettable – Ellis’ decision on his bike, or Baby’s decision with his fist? My point is Monte’s situation is dictating much of his perceived attitude, and Don Nelson continues to mess with his head in a despicable way.

Our lack of athletic wings is going to be a problem sooner or later. Ellis is one of the most talented in the league. He’s a competitor, and he and Rajon would be an absolute nightmare to defend in the same backcourt. Ellis is an underrated defender to begin with, and The Cs team defense could make up for many of their shortcomings in size match-ups -- just look at Ray’s improvement on D as a Celtic. I also continue to covet Mbah a Moute. He was absolutely outstanding against Denver the other night – short of LeBron and Kobe I think he’s the best wing defender in the NBA. A core of Rondo, Ellis, Mbah a Moute, Baby / Williams and Perk gives us an excellent opportunity to compete after the Pierce and KG era is over.

To me those would be the maximum talent we could expect to receive back for Ray’s expiring contract. Once Ray expires this summer, the Cs are going to have a very hard time getting young talent for a number of years – PP is not going to be traded in the final year of his deal if ever by the Cs, ditto for Garnett. The Cs will be over the cap so signings won’t do it, and their draft picks will be too low to hope for stars.

I hope the Cs can compete with the team they have this year, but IF they begin to falter, a deal like this should be seriously considered.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Potential MIL/GSW/BOS trade with conditions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 01:57:57 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
gs wouldnt do it.  if they were inclined to move Ellis, they could get a much better return

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 01:58:22 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Why would the Bucks want Ray when they have Redd? Also, why get older when you have a semi-decent core of young players?

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 01:59:13 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
gs wouldnt do it.  if they were inclined to move Ellis, they could get a much better return

they've commited alot of money to him -- just like stephen jackson. Look what they got for him.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Ellis next to Rondo would be terrible.  Two poor-shooting guards (both arguably with maturity issues) who need the ball in their hands; no thanks.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Why would the Bucks want Ray when they have Redd? Also, why get older when you have a semi-decent core of young players?

1) because Redd rarely plays;

2) because the only core player they lose is Mbah a Moute in the deal;

3) because they save 7mil next year / add it to their cap space.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 02:03:58 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Ellis next to Rondo would be terrible.  Two poor-shooting guards (both arguably with maturity issues) who need the ball in their hands; no thanks.

well, do you agree with the concept? i.e., if the Celtics struggle mightily with athletic wings that they need to consider trading Ray considering the future restrictions I laid out?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 02:06:20 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

I don't buy it, why lease Ray when you're not going to win a title? Why not just look for a take for Redd?

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 02:07:05 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
If we're looking like a less-than-50-win team about halfway through the season, then I'd want Ainge to consider trading Ray for some youth (not this trade though...Rondo + Ellis backcourt = not good).

I'd be really surprised if things got that bad, though.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I don't buy it, why lease Ray when you're not going to win a title? Why not just look for a take for Redd?

so you can get rid of $7mil and make some money because they still love Ray in Milwaukee?

who would take Redd and why?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 02:11:54 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
If we're looking like a less-than-50-win team about halfway through the season, then I'd want Ainge to consider trading Ray for some youth (not this trade though...Rondo + Ellis backcourt = not good).

I'd be really surprised if things got that bad, though.

at that win total i would hope so. it's very hard to find the wing player -- who could be had -- with enough talent to trade ray allen, thus my choice of ellis.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 02:23:51 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

so you can get rid of $7mil and make some money because they still love Ray in Milwaukee?

Yes, but in all their dealings, the Bucks have kept their young players while cutting salary. For example, Bogut makes 10 million a year but you rarely hear his name in trade talks. When they received Bowen and Oberto this summer, they cut them because of their age not money. This organization has committed to going young and cheap. This move doesn't fit that mold.

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 02:28:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think the C's do this, simply because Ellis isn't a good fit with Rondo already locked up.  Neither of them are good shooters, and neither is really big enough to play SG.  Ultimately, Ellis needs to be playing PG in this league, or paired with a big PG, if he is playing SG.

I also don't think Milwaukee is getting enough out of this.  They really don't have much need for Ray, and they aren't cutting that much salary.  If they were really strapped for cash, I think they could find a better deal that netted them something to help them for the future as well.

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 02:33:28 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Yes, but in all their dealings, the Bucks have kept their young players while cutting salary. For example, Bogut makes 10 million a year but you rarely hear his name in trade talks. When they received Bowen and Oberto this summer, they cut them because of their age not money. This organization has committed to going young and cheap. This move doesn't fit that mold.

You don’t hear their best player’s name in trade rumors so they don’t like to save money? Bowen and Oberto weren’t cut because of age – both had non-guaranteed contracts, which is why MIL traded for them. The guy they were traded for was an excellent NBA wing player, and they got literally nothing in return. What they’re names, ages, heights, etc are were meaningless in the transaction.

Bowen and Oberto were traded to MIL for one reason, and one alone: money.

Look all I'm saying is it's not that far fetched to imagine MIL trading Mbah a Moute for an All-Star and consummate professional. Think Brandon Jennings might benefit from a year with Ray? Roy’s argument regarding Ellis is far stronger but it’s hard to find a comparable talent who is available on the cheep.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 02:43:06 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

You don’t hear their best player’s name in trade rumors so they don’t like to save money? Bowen and Oberto weren’t cut because of age – both had non-guaranteed contracts, which is why MIL traded for them. The guy they were traded for was an excellent NBA wing player, and they got literally nothing in return. What they’re names, ages, heights, etc are were meaningless in the transaction.

Bowen and Oberto were traded to MIL for one reason, and one alone: money.

Look all I'm saying is it's not that far fetched to imagine MIL trading Mbah a Moute for an All-Star and consummate professional. Think Brandon Jennings might benefit from a year with Ray? Roy’s argument regarding Ellis is far stronger but it’s hard to find a comparable talent who is available on the cheep.

The reason they trade Jefferson was that he was too old and expensive for what they were doing. No, I don't see any reason for them to trade one of their best, and inexpensive, pieces for a one year lease of Ray.